Is your baby over six months of age and do you wish to introduce top feed? Are you planning to switch your baby to bottles? Or are you are planning to buy baby bottles where you can store your breast milk?
In any of the above situations, it is natural to get confused. If you are wondering what kind of baby bottle to go for, how to choose baby bottles and what to look for while choosing baby bottles, this post is a must read for you.
[ Read: Best Bottles For Breastfed Babies ]
How To Choose A Baby Bottle?
With so many types of baby bottles available in the market these days, it is natural to feel confused. From glass to plastic to ones that are straight or curved, the options are many. So how do you know which baby bottle will be right for your little one?
First let’s take a look at the pros and cons of the two main types of baby bottles – glass and BPA free plastic baby bottles:
1. Glass Baby Bottles:
One of the main reasons why parents still choose glass baby bottles is because they are BPA free.
Pros of using glass baby bottles:
- Glass bottles are BPA free.
- It is a more eco-friendly option as it is made without the use of petroleum.
- The bottles last a longer time.
- Glass bottles can be boiled during sterilization and also be used for heating.
- Glass bottles are recyclable.
Cons of using glass baby bottles:
- Glass bottles will break easily in case they are dropped.
- They are more expensive than plastic bottles or BPA free plastic bottles.
- Glass bottles are heavier.
- They are not always available in different variants or sizes.
2. BPA Free Plastic Baby Bottles:
Pros of using BPA free plastic baby bottles:
- Are light weight.
- Are durable and won’t break if they fall.
- Are BPA free.
- BPA free plastic bottles are recyclable.
Cons of using BPA free plastic baby bottles:
- BPA free plastic bottles are made using petroleum.
- Some parents are worried that even though they are BPA free, the plastic may harm the baby.
- Cannot be boiled during sterilization.
- Cannot be used for heating.
Once you have decided whether you want to go for a glass baby bottle or a BPA free plastic baby bottle, it’s time to move on to more advanced features. Here’s a look at some of the most common features in baby bottles these days:
[ Read: Bottle Feeding Basics ]
1. Feeding Bottle With Inclined Teat Mouth Option:
This kind of mouth opening in a baby bottle means that the flow will be more natural. These teat mouths at the top of the bottle are designed to make the flow feel as close to feeding from your breast. They are also helpful in reducing the amount of air your baby will swallow. This is especially helpful in preventing colic or relieving babies who are suffering from colic. This particular shape of the bottle will also help your new born in maintaining the correct neck position.
2. Feeding Bottle With Natural Flow Tube Inside:
The natural flow tube inside the feeding bottle helps to give your baby a colic free feeding experience. These tubes are designed to completely do away with any air bubbles that can cause major colic issues in babies. It also helps to create a proper pressure for smooth flow, without creating any vaccum. This makes it easier for your baby to feed, without the problem of nipple collapse. The natural flow tube will help to pass away the air from the nipple and take it to the back of the bottle. This will prevent it from going into your baby during feeding. Dr. Brown’s bottles hold the patent for this technology and are renowned for their effectiveness in preventing and minimizing colic in babies. This technology also helps to reduce the problems of gas, spitting and burping in babies.
[ Read: How To Sterilize Baby Bottles ]
3. Feeding Bottle With Wide Mouth Option:
These types of bottles are perfect for first timers. The mouth of the bottle is suitable to use teats that will perfectly replicate the shape of the mother’s breast. This makes the transition from breast to bottle easier for your baby. The wide mouth option also makes it soothing for babies who are suffering from colic, as it prevents gas formation.
There are a huge variety of baby bottles available in the market today. Before you make a purchase, read through the description on the bottle. If you are looking for any particular use, check to ensure the bottle will fulfill that. Also, remember to read the caring instructions carefully.
Hope by now you must have know how to choose a baby bottle. What feeding bottles do you use for your baby? Do you have a particular recommendation you would like to share? Or is there any particular bottle you would suggest moms to avoid? Do share your tips in the comments section to help other moms.
- 7 Different Types Of Infant Formula You Should Know About
- Breastfeeding vs Formula Feeding – Which One Is Better?
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby
- How To Burp A Baby?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016