Has your little angel started scribbling and drawing shapes, and are you looking for ways to further her interest? Is she fascinated by butterflies and does she know how to draw one? If you are planning to give your kid a butterfly drawing lesson, then consider reading this post until the end. It will not only teach how to draw a butterfly for kids, but so much more.
How To Draw A Butterfly For Kids Step By Step:
Here is an easy step-by-step tutorial on butterfly drawing for kids to help your little one draw a butterfly:
- Start by drawing a small circle.
- Now draw a cone line structure attaching the circle, as seen in the picture.
- Let us draw the wings now. Starting from the cone that we drew, draw the butterfly wings.
- Repeat the same for the other side
- A butterfly has more than one wing, so draw a half oval like shape starting from the first wing.
- Repeat the same for the other side
- Now draw another small wing inside the first wing.
- Repeat the same for the other side. Don’t we want a colorful butterfly?
- Time to draw the antennae, or two curved lines from the head
- Your butterfly is almost done. Now draw two small circles at the end of these lines.
- Your butterfly is ready. But, it looks dull without colors. Ask your little girl to get her crayon set and bring this lovely butterfly to life.
[ Read: How To Draw A Penguin Step By Step ]
13 Interesting Facts About Butterflies For Kids:
As the saying goes “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly”. Every butterfly begins the life as an Egg. It then goes on to become a caterpillar. After about 10 to 14 days that the butterfly is ready to emerge. Here, are some other amazing facts about butterflies that will leave your little one awed:
- Butterflies are insects, which will be shock to your little one.
- Butterflies have four wings.
- They feed on nectar from flowers
- Butterflies can attach their eggs to leaves with special glue
- There are about 15000-20000 different species of butterfly.
- Butterflies cannot hear, but can feel vibrations
- Butterflies taste with their feet
- Butterflies do not have lungs
- They breathe through an opening in their abdomen called the Spiracles
- They have millions of overlapping shingle scales on their wings, which gives butterflies their color.
- They can still fly if the scales are removed, they might just become less colorful.
- Female butterflies are bigger and live longer than male butterflies.
- The biggest threat to a butterfly is the loss of its habitat .
[ Read: How To Draw An Octopus Step By Step ]
The Butterfly Story – The Three Butterflies:
Now that your kid knows about these facts tell your pretty little one an interesting story on these beautiful insects.
There were once three beautiful Butterflies in the garden. One was Red; One was Yellow, and the third was white. Everyday these three butterflies danced and played in the garden. They were very happy.
One day they were playing in the garden again when suddenly it began to rain. They then flew to a red flower and said to the red flower. “Red Flower, we are caught in the rain, our wings are wet, and we are so cold. Would you please let us stay under your petals?”
The red flower replied to the red butterfly “You have the same color as me, so you can come in, the other two can’t”. All 3 Butterflies said together “we are good friends, and we will never part, we come together and leave together.” It was raining hard; they then flew to the yellow flower. The Yellow flower said to the yellow butterfly “You have the same color as me, so you can come in, the other two can’t”. All 3 Butterflies again said together “we are good friends, and we will never part, we come together and leave together.” Then they went to the white flower and asked if they could stay. Surprisingly the same thing happened, and the butterflies said “we are good friends, and we will never part, we come together and leave together.”
The three butterflies were then seen flying in the rain. They could not find a place to take shelter from the rain as none wanted to leave their friends. Then the sun saw them from the clouds. He drove away the clouds and the rain stopped. It was sunny again. The butterflies’ wings became dry in the sun. They were playing happily again
Moral of the story “A friend in need, is a friend indeed” If you look at your friends, someone will look after you.
[ Read: How To Draw A Bird Step By Step ]
Did your kid like the story? Now it is time to teach him some Butterfly Craft. It is a fun project that your kid can show off at school. In fact, you can plan a fun day with your little one, and get her to do some fun butterfly-themed activities.
You Will Need:
- A Black Marker
- White Paper
- Bowtie Noodles or Pasta
- Paint the Noodles/Pasta in bright colors and let it dry.
- For the grass, cut the pasta in half and paint it green
- Glue it all on a white paper
- Add the antennas and dots to make it look beautiful and colorful .
[ Read: How To Draw A Fish Step By Step ]
The Butterfly Poem:
Ah, kiddies and rhymes! It brings back memories of when we were kids ourselves. Here’s a rhyme to encourage your little girl while she works on the butterfly craft.
“Here comes the Butterfly and lays an egg
Out comes the caterpillar with many legs
A little chrysalis to sleep in
Then from Chrysalis my oh my!
Out comes a Butterfly.”
It is always fun to get your kids to draw. Not only does it teach them how to draw a butterfly step by step for kids, and a lot about the creature, but they remember more than they would if they read it out from a book. It is a kid-centered approach because it involves the kid actively both physically and mentally.
If you like the idea of activity-based learning for your kid and have something to add, please write to us. We would love to incorporate new ideas and experiences that you have in our posts. Leave a comment below.
- Top 20 Drawing Ideas, Activities & Projects For Kids
- How To Draw A Cartoon Step By Step For Kids
- How To Draw A Dog Step By Step For Kids
- How To Draw A Tiger Step By Step For Kids
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Marfan Syndrome In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015