Many people ponder how to get rid of baby fat on face because it gives a chubby look with a broad face and puffy eyes. Fat on the face can be caused due to different reasons such as obesity or lack of sleep. Finding the cause behind the baby fat on your face can help you tackle the issue. Also, you need to tone your face by following a healthy diet and working out regularly.
Reducing fat just from the face (spot reduction) is not possible unless you decide on having surgery. A good and healthy non-surgical facial contouring can be achieved by losing extra weight from the entire body. Read the post to know more about what causes baby fat on the face and effective ways to get rid of it.
Causes Of Facial Bloating
Some of the main reasons for accumulation of fat on the face are:
- Obesity: Being overweight can also enlarge your facial volume as it will add layers of fat on your cheeks and chin.
- Water Retention: Drinking less water can make your body retain fluid and make your face look swollen.
- Lack Of Sleep: Stress and sleep disorders can take a toll on your skin’s elasticity making it appear saggy and large.
- Side Effects of Medication: Use of steroid medications like prednisone may also make the face look bloated.
Tips To Reduce Facial Fat
How to get rid of baby fat on face:
1. Check Your Diet:
- Count Your Calories:
Note down all the food items you consume in a day and the calorie count of each. You can identify the unhealthy foods and avoid eating them. Having a low-calorie diet and cutting down on your calorie intake doesn’t mean you need to starve. You just need to make a few healthy eating habits! You can avoid junk food and munch on a fruit or salad instead. Also, regulate your salt and sugar consumption.
- Drink Lots Of Water:
If your fluid intake is minimal, your body will end up retaining water making your cheeks look chubby, and your eyes appear puffy. So it is necessary to drink at least eight glasses of water every day.
- Say No To Alcohol:
Drinking alcohol too can cause dehydration and lead to water retention while dieting. Avoid alcohol consumption if you want to prevent your face from bloating further.
- Increase Your Calcium Intake:
Ingesting dairy products like cheese, lassi or yogurt help reduce water retention and fight fat. Adding low-fat dairy products to your diet can help you tone your face.
2. Facial Exercises:
- Smile Often:
Smiling is the best exercise for your face and can help you get rid of those chubby cheeks. Stand in front of a mirror and smile, hold it for 10-15 seconds and repeat ten times.
- Chew A Gum
Chewing gum helps strengthen your jaw and reduce facial fat.
- Blow Out Air:
Fill your mouth with air. Move it to the right side of the cheek then slowly move it to the left. Repeat this at least ten times and then blow it out from your mouth. Performing this exercise thrice a day, can help tone your chubby cheeks.
3. Reduce Body Mass:
- Cardio Workout:
Kickboxing, aerobics, running, climbing the steps, brisk walking and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) are all different forms of cardio workouts. You can go ahead and choose a regimen that suits you. Getting fit will help your face look fab from flab!
- Weight Training:
Exercising with weights helps in skin toning and strengthening the muscles of the body as well as the face. It will help you attain a lean body, a slim face, a defined jawline and slim cheeks too!
If you have a puffy face due to the side effects of a medication, you can ask your doctor to prescribe alternative drugs. Snoozing can help you bust stress, check hormonal imbalance and boost your metabolism.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. At what age do people lose facial fat?
As people age, their face and neck appearance may change; consequently, studies have shown that facial thinning (losing facial volume and texture) may begin at around 40 years of age (1).
2. Does blowing balloons reduce face fat?
Although facial exercises (such as the blowing balloon exercise) may help some people, there is a lack of adequate research to prove their effectiveness in reducing facial fat in a large population (2).
3. Can facial massages help reduce baby fat on the face?
Massaging the face may relax muscles and improve circulation. However, they are unlikely to target and reduce baby fat in the face. Genetics and overall body composition primarily determine body fat distribution, including facial fat.
4. What role does genetics play in baby fat on the face?
Genetics determine how much fat will be distributed in different body parts, including the face. However, it is vital to note that genetic factors interact with lifestyle and environmental factors. Therefore, lifestyle choices such as diet, exercise, and overall body weight will also influence the appearance of facial fat (3).
5. Are there any topical creams or treatments that can help reduce baby fat on the face?
Currently, no topical creams or treatments can help spot or target fat reduction, especially on the face. Fat on the face is the subcutaneous fat that can be effectively reduced by maintaining healthy lifestyle habits, such as exercising and maintaining healthy body weight.
6. How long does it typically take to see results from face fat reduction efforts?
The time needed to observe results from face fat reduction may differ based on factors such as the methods employed, individual metabolism, and body composition. Typically, noticeable changes may appear within weeks to months of consistent effort. It involves regular exercise, a balanced diet, and possibly targeted facial exercises or treatments. It’s crucial to note that spot reduction of facial fat can be difficult, and general weight loss and body fat reduction can gradually contribute to a slimmer face (5).
7. Are there any cosmetic procedures that can help reduce baby fat on the face?
A procedure known as Buccal Fat Pad (BFP) removal can enhance facial appearance by reducing excess fat. However, limited information exists on its long-term effects, necessitating further research and controlled clinical studies to establish sufficient evidence (6).
There could be several reasons for baby fat, including stress, obesity, medication side effects, etc. Like most moms, you may be wondering how to get rid of baby fat on your face after delivery. Knowing the cause and working on discovering appropriate measures could help shed facial fat. Nonetheless, avoiding alcohol, practicing facial exercises, maintaining a healthy, balanced diet, and physical activity could help. Follow these simple tips and incorporate these changes into your lifestyle, and you will soon be able to flaunt your high cheekbones again.
Infographic: Tips To Reduce Facial Fat
Although there may be several medical approaches to getting rid of stubborn facial fat, there are also other less invasive and natural techniques to shape your face. The infographic below suggests a few approaches to reducing excess fat on the face.
- Baby fat on the face may occur due to obesity, lack of sleep, water retention, and side effects of steroidal medications.
- Consuming a less salt and sugar-based diet, including more fruits, increasing water intake, avoiding stress and alcohol, and increasing low-fat dairy intake can help tone the facial muscles.
- In addition, doing facial exercises, chewing gum, blowing out air, and cardio exercises, and weight training can reduce facial fat, strengthen the jaw, and address obesity.
- Finally, getting ample sleep and alternating medications can help reduce sleep deprivation and medication-induced facial fat, and combat hormonal imbalance.
Lose double chin and face fat in 10 days with this easy-to-follow exercise routine! Get a slimmer face and neck in no time with these simple exercises.
- Arthur Swift et al. (2021); The Facial Aging Process From the “Inside Out”.
- Facial exercises for facial rejuvenation: a control group study
- Differentiation and characterization of human facial subcutaneous adipocytes
- Arthur Swift et al. (2021); The Facial Aging Process From the “Inside Out”.