Teenage is when the kids grow up too fast, and follow too many new fads. In the race to be different, or look different, our young guns do tend to be rather quick. As a parent, it is crucial that you set boundaries for your teen so that he doesn’t go overboard and doesn’t get into trouble. Understanding a teen is difficult, so you need to make your teen your best friend. Here, we look at how to set boundaries for teens, how much is too much, and other things you need to know.
Why Do We Need To Set Boundaries For Teens?
Teenage is the best age to understand your kid. However, the onset of teenage can also lead to risk-taking behavior like drinking, smoking, unprotected sex, rash driving, and others. Being over protective can irk your teen, and he may end up being confrontational or erratic. At this age, independence and the need to show the world that they can do things are quite intense. Pay close attention to your teen, and help him stay safe and healthy. A routine check on their activities can help you stay abreast with what’s happening in his life.
[ Read: Tips To Deal With Teenagers ]
Tips On Setting Boundaries For Teenagers:
Here are some tips on how to set appropriate boundaries for teenagers:
- Boundaries work better when they are agreed upon and discussed mutually.
- When teenagers understand the reason for setting boundaries they are likely to cooperate.
- Sometimes, giving them the liberty to take responsibility for their behavior is important.
- As they grow older, they are more likely to learn things from the media and peers. It is important to let them know what is good for them and why.
- Do not always speak, listen to them and make them the part of the conversation. It is then that they feel you are willing to compromise, and you see that the conversation is then more effective.
- Too many boundaries can make them rebellious, Speak to your partner and mutually decide on how to strike a balance.
What Is The Issue?
Now that you have an idea of setting boundaries, it would help if you were able to determine the issues your teen faces. Some of these issues typically entail:
- Developing Independence
For resolving any of these issues, you need to set boundaries for your teen. Boundaries help you control the rate of change in your teen, but make sure you don’t end up being too authoritarian. Teenagers need clear guidelines and instructions. Remember, they are dealing with a myriad of physiological and mental changes.
[ Read: Conflict Resolution Skills For Teenagers ]
Benefits Of Setting Boundaries for teenagers:
Setting appropriate boundaries with teenagers help in many ways, and some of the main benefits include:
- It is the best way to reduce conflict and improve communication. It also builds the trust between you and your teen.
- It is a way to express your expectations of him.
- It saves you from arguing with the kid every time as these boundaries act as a reference point.
- It also means that as a parent you understand that your kid is growing up and needs control.
- A good boundary is one that is reasonable and clear.
How To Set Teen Boundaries?
While you set teenage boundaries, you must follow some steps like:
- Clearly explain the specific boundary
- State what is NOT permitted
- Mention the expectations
- Also, mention the consequences of not adhering to the boundaries.
[ Read: How To Understand Teen Psychology ]
What Are The Healthy Boundaries For Teens?
Once you have set the boundaries with your teen, you must elucidate what the boundaries are:
- When does he need to return home? Specify the time
- How can he help with the household chores?
- How much time can he spend with the cell phone?
- How much time for TV?
- How much time for Homework?
Setting boundaries for teens is a difficult task, but with a little bit of guile and information, you should be able to do just that.
If you have more information on how to set boundaries for teens, do write to us.
- How To Help Troubled Teens?
- 4 Simple Tips To Teach Self-Awareness To Your Teen
- 10 Useful Tips To Help Your Teen Solve Her Problems
- 10 Common Teenage Girl Problems And Their Solutions
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Marfan Syndrome In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Is It Safe To Take Dandelion Tea During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Can You Eat Banana While Breastfeeding? - November 3, 2015
- How To Set Boundaries For Teenagers? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Shrimp When Breastfeeding? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Drink Chrysanthemum Tea During Pregnancy? - October 29, 2015
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Complications - October 27, 2015
- The Christmas Story For Kids - Birth Of Jesus Christ - October 25, 2015