Teenage is the time when your girl experiences bodily changes. One of the more visible ones is the growth of hair. It could be very annoying to see those dark follicles growing everywhere on a hitherto smooth surface. It is important to follow a regular shaving routine for the removal of unwanted hairs from legs, underarms and bikini region. The last thing your beautiful angel would want is to have hairy legs. But many teen girls don’t know how to shave their underarms, pubic hairs, and legs properly. The result is a bumpy, red sore on the skin, accompanied by severe razor burn.
Read through the post below to explain your teen daughter about the shaving dos and don’ts. Momjunction has put up healthy shaving tips for girls so that they can get rid of unwanted discomforts like skin itchiness or cuts!
Shaving For Girls – Helpful Tips
Here are some basic shaving tips that every teen girl should remain aware of:
- Dampen and soften the skin before using the razor. It is crucial to wet the skin, so that it becomes soft and moisturized and avoids nicks and cuts. Shaving on dry skin can sometimes clog the razor with dead skin, and your teen can be at a higher risk of razor burns.
- To apply razor born, your teen needs to follow the two-step approach. She first needs to apply a small amount of baby oil to soften the skin and then use a shaving cream. As the oil sticks to the skin surface, it will help your teen to get the smoothest legs.
- Other than shaving cream, your teen can also safely use olive oils for shaving legs. A hair conditioner is another effective moisturizing agent. But it is advisable to avoid shampoo as it makes the skin drier.
- Teen girls should use multi-featured razors that come with pivoting heads, lubricated strips, and spring-mounted multiple blades.
[ Read: Teenage Skin Problems ]
- It is advisable to change cartridges and razors on a regular basis. A dull blade can often lead to nicks.
- Experts recommend exfoliating the leg’s skin before shaving. It is one of the preferable methods to get rid of dead skin cells, which could otherwise clog the pores. There are multiple ways of skin exfoliation like applying scrubbers or using dry brush before a shower.
- Proper technique of shaving is pivotal, as it becomes simpler to remove the unwanted hairs with minimal efforts. Since the leg hair grows downwards, start at the ankles and then shave up. For underarms, your teen can shave in every possible direction as the hair grows in different angles.
- After shaving, ask your teen to apply an oil or moisturizer on her legs.
- Restrict your teen from shaving if she has sunburned, irritated or broken skin. (1)
Best Way To Shave Bikini Area /Pubic:
Follow the step-by-step guide to shaving your pubic hairs gently:
- Moisten the pubic hair for about two to three minutes by pouring water.
- Then apply a branded quality shaving gel. It is important to apply a thick shaving gel, as the hair in the bikini area is denser, thicker, and curlier.
- Handle the skin around the bikini region gently as it is tender, delicate and thin.
- It is advisable to shave horizontally and drag the razor from the outside to the inside of the groin area and upper thigh. Use even and smooth strokes.
- Teens should shave the pubic hairs on a frequent basis so that it reduces ingrowths of hairs and makes the skin irritation-free. (2)
Best Way To Remove Leg Hair For Teenagers:
Your teen can follow the below-mentioned procedure to shave her legs:
- Moisten the skin with plain water for two to three minutes, and apply a shaving gel. Water aids in plumping the hair and makes it easier to cut. On the other hand, shaving gels help the skin to retain moisture.
[ Read: Skin Care Tips For Teens ]
- One needs to use long and even strokes of the razor, without exerting excessive pressure. It is important to shave the bony areas of the leg gently like knees, ankles, and shins.
- For shaving the skin on the knee surface, your teen needs to bend it slightly so that the skin surface gets stretched and it becomes simpler to pull the razor.
- One should avoid unwanted body movements as it can make the razor hurt the delicate skin surface of the legs.
- Wire-wrapped blades are suited for leg-shaving as they help overcome careless nicks and cuts.
- It is important for your teen to shave in the appropriate direction, and run the razor in the direction of hair growth. (3)
How To Shave Underarms For Girls:
To shave the delicate hairs of the underarms, your teen can follow these steps:
- Moisten the skin of underarm by splashing water gently.
- Apply a thick shaving gel evenly on the hairy region of the underarms.
- Lift up the arms so that it keeps the skin tighter and makes it easier to shave.
- Pull the razor from the bottom to up, so that it allows the razor to glide over the skin.
- As the skin surface of underarms in extremely delicate, one should avoid shaving the same area more than once, as it could cause skin irritation.
- Your teen can use wire-wrapped blades as it helps to avoid unwanted nicks and cuts.
- Avoid usage of deodorants or antiperspirants after a shaving regime. As it can often cause severe skin irritation and stinging. It is better to shave underarms at night so that your teen can use the deodorant the next day. (4)
[ Read: Common Hygiene Tips For Teens ]
How To Avoid Cuts While Shaving:
- Use lukewarm water for shaving.
- Dampen the skin for about two to three minutes, so that it gets moisturized.
- Always shave in the direction of hair growth.
- Use the razor gently and slowly.
- Change razors frequently, as the dull blade can cause skin infections and irritation.
Did you educate your teen daughter on the appropriate methods of shaving? Share your tips on shaving with other mommies here!
- 7 Best Beauty Products Your Teen Will Love
- 10 Easy & Effective Tips To Get Rid Of Female Facial Hair
- 6 Preventive Measures To Get Rid Of Body Odor Problems In Teens
- 12 Easy Steps To Treat Teen Acne At Home
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017