Is your baby due during this winter? Have you just brought your baby home in the peak of the cold season? Are you worried that the harsh weather will affect your newborn and are wondering about your newborn baby care in winter?
Read on to know how you can protect your baby from the cold winter weather. Here are ten tips on how to take care of newborn baby in winter.
1. Wash Your Hands Frequently:
Winter is a time of flu and colds. Make sure you wash your hands regularly or use a hand sanitizer before touching your newborn. It will prevent you from passing on any germs to your baby. You should request all visitors to observe this precaution.
2. Breastfeed Your Newborn:
Breastfeeding your newborn is the best way to boost his immunity. It will help him keep the cold and infections at bay. Try to breastfeed your baby for the first six months.
3. Follow The Vaccination Schedule:
Make sure your newborn does not skip any vaccination schedule. It will help keep your baby safe from the diseases that strike during the winter season. In case your newborn misses a vaccination, call and check with the doctor about when next he can give the shot to your little one.
[ Read: Advantages Of Breastfeeding ]
4. Keep The Room Warm:
Maintain a warm temperature in your baby’s bedroom throughout the harsh winter season. Close all windows at night to avoid any cold air from entering the nursery. However, ensure adequate ventilation too.
5. Make Your Newborn Wear Comfortable And Warm Clothes:
Make your baby wear warm and comfortable clothes. Remember that the temperature of his room may already be warm, and hence your newborn may not need too many layers of clothing. Put on socks and mittens for your newborn to make him feel cozy and snug.
[ Read: How To Swaddle A Baby With A Blanket ]
6. Avoid Heavy Blankets For Your Baby:
You may think that you should tuck your little one in a warm blanket at night, but do not do so. Remove things like blankets, pillows and such from your newborn’s crib to curb the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
7. Massage Your Newborn To Improve Blood Circulation:
Massage your newborn especially in the winters to help improve the blood flow and immunity levels. You can use olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil to massage your baby. Make sure you close the door and keep the room warm when you are massaging your baby. You can give your newborn a nice massage an hour or two before bath time. Alternatively, you can massage your baby before bedtime to help him calm down and sleep better.
[ Read: How To Massage Your Baby ]
8. Avoid Too Many Baby Products:
The cold and dry weather strips the skin of moisture. Your newborn has a sensitive skin. Therefore, avoid over-using products like baby soaps, shampoos, and body washes during winters. Your newborn may develop rashes because of severe dryness. Play safe and give your baby a simple water bath on a regular basis instead. You may choose to use a mild baby soap once a week.
9. Regularly Moisturize Your Baby’s Skin:
Pamper your little one’s delicate skin with a generous dose ofmild infant skin cream or lotion. This is one of the best newborn baby care tips in winter. You can check with your baby’s doctor for any special recommendations. You can also go natural and massage your baby‘s skin with milk cream or clarified butter (ghee), to keep it soft and supple.
10. Use A Humidifier:
Winter months may require a heater in your newborn’s room. If you are using one, also use a humidifier. It will maintain the humidity levels in the room and prevent your newborn’s skin from losing moisture.
These ten tips will make sure that your newborn remains safe and healthy through the harsh season. If your newborn develops a cold, do schedule an appointment with the doctor at the earliest.
If you had a winter baby, share with us your tips and advice on how to take care of newborn baby in winter.
- 5 Simple Tips To Make Your Baby Comfortable In Summers
- 8 Simple Home-Care Tips To Treat Neck Rashes In Your Baby
- 7 Most Helpful Tips For Your Baby Skin Care
- 6 Tried And Tested Methods To Wash Your Baby’s Hair
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016