Have you stepped into the world of motherhood recently? Are you worried about safeguarding the health and development of your newborn? Do you know that proper hygiene habits can help to keep your baby disease-free? If you are clueless and curious, reading the post can be a good idea!
Hygiene plays a crucial role to boost your baby’s overall health and well-being. Apart from basic cleanliness, you need to pay special attention to keeping your baby away from harmful infections. Want to know more? Read on!
As a new mom, you should follow these good baby hygiene essentials:
1. Wash Your Hands:
It is very important for both the parents to wash their hands with a good antibacterial soap before they pick up their baby. If you touch your baby without using a hand sanitizer, he could become susceptible to harmful germs and suffer from infections like colds, diarrhea, flu, etc. It is also very important to wash your hands before preparing your baby’s food or feeding him. Never forget to wash your hands after changing the nappies or using the restroom (1).
2. Bathe Your Little One:
To protect your baby from skin infections try and give him a good bath. Regularly giving your baby a bath helps to keep him neat and tidy. Pay special attention to keeping his face, hands and diaper area clean every day. For the newborn, you can adopt the practice of giving him a sponge bath until his navel region heals completely (2).
3. Trim Your Baby’s Fingernails:
Dirty nails are a sign of germs that can enter your baby’s body and cause harmful diseases when he sucks his hands. Always try to keep your baby’s fingernails well-trimmed and clean. If the fingernails are sharp and long, the baby can scratch and hurt himself. The best time to trim your baby’s nails is when he is asleep. Be sure to use appropriate clippers to cut your baby’s nails properly without hurting him (3).
[ Read: Tips To Cut Newborn Baby Nails ]
4. Clean His Ears:
Clean the baby’s delicate ears very gently. Never insert cotton ear buds into his tiny ears. If your baby feels uncomfortable while you are touching his ears, he may be suffering from an ear infection. Consult the pediatrician immediately to alleviate the discomfort of your little darling.
5. Keep Baby’s Nose Unclogged:
Clean the dried mucous deposit in your baby’s nose gently. You can use a damp soft cotton cloth to do so.
[ Read: Steps To Clean Baby Nose ]
6. Clean His Eyes:
Try to keep your baby’s eyes clean and prevent an infection, gently remove the dried mucous with a soft damp cloth.
7. Change Your Baby’s Diapers Regularly:
When it comes to hygiene for babies, changing the diapers at regular intervals of time is an important aspect. After changing the diaper, clean his bottom with soft baby wipes. Keep your baby clean and dry to prevent a diaper rash (4).
8. Keep Your Baby’s Toys Clean:
Most babies have a habit of putting their toys into their mouths. Regularly wash your baby’s toys to keep them clean. After washing the toys with plain water, wipe them using a clean tissue paper.
9. Sanitize Your Home:
To limit your baby’s exposure to harmful germs and microbes, keep your home clean. Clean the floors using a disinfectant solution. Focus on sanitizing the areas your baby uses. If your baby uses a milk bottle, wash and sterilize it after each use to remove the unwanted germs. If you are preparing baby food in your kitchen, clean the utensils properly with warm water and detergent. Clean the kitchen and bathroom with a good disinfectant.
By following these simple hygiene habits, you can help your little angel enjoy good health and immunity.
Hope now you are clear about importance of baby hygiene. Did you practice proper hygiene habits as a new mom? Was your baby happy and disease-free? Share some useful baby hygiene tips with other mommies here!
- When Will Your Baby Develop The Pincer Grasp?
- How Do You Prevent Your Baby From Getting Over Stimulated?
- 5 Precautions To Take Care Of While Using Diapers
- 6 Steps To Effectively Clean Your Baby’s Clothes
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016