Do you suffer from frequent migraine attacks while breastfeeding? Are you looking for some OTC options like Sumatriptan (Imitrex) for your condition, but are worried about the safety of taking Sumatriptan while breastfeeding?
If you can relate to either of the questions, reading our post could be a good idea. Here, we talk about Imitrex and breastfeeding, how it can relieve your migraine pain, and how safe is it while you are nursing a baby.
What Is Sumatriptan?
Sumatriptan, also popular as Imitrex, is a serotonin receptor that cures migraine headaches. The medicine belongs to a group of medicines popular as triptans. Sumatriptan nasal spray helps treat chronic migraine attacks. The medication works wonders on your brain to relieve migraine attacks (1).
Can You Take Imitrex While Breastfeeding?
Yes, it is safe to have the Sumatriptan while breastfeeding. Even though the medicine passes into the breast milk, only a minimal amount of medication passes to the infant. Studies reveal that one 6 mg administration of an Imitrex dose results in a transfer of about 0.24 % of the dose into the breast milk, and in turn to your infant.
Moreover, you can avoid this minimal transfer as well. Just, breastfeed your infant before you have your dose of Sumatriptan. Alternatively, you can breastfeed your baby 8 hours after having the dose. The safety precaution will ensure that the breastmilk your baby consumes is Imitrex-free. As a precaution, consult your doctor before you consider using Imitrex to treat migraine (2).
Forms Of Sumatriptan Available In The Market:
Sumatriptan is a migraine reliever, and is easily available in several different forms in the market. Here, we list some easily available forms of Imitrex:
• Nasal spray
• Patches (3)
Imitrex And Breastfeeding – Health Benefits:
Sumatriptan is a popular medication for curing migraine attacks. Here are some of the health benefits of taking Sumatriptan while breastfeeding.
1. A Highly Effective Pain Reliever:
Imitrex is not a common pain reliever. If your headache continues to trouble you even after having aspirin, acetaminophen, and other pain relievers, you need to go for Sumatriptan. The medication helps mitigate the painful migraine attack (4).
[ Read: Headache While Breastfeeding ]
2. Treats Associated Symptoms:
Sumatriptan also offers you a great relief from other symptoms of a migraine attack. The medicine helps treat vomiting, nausea, sound and light sensitivity, in nursing mothers. Imitrex minimizes the pain and helps nursing mothers to get back to their normal activities (5)
3. Reduces The Frequency Of Migraine Attacks:
Sumatriptan is highly beneficial in minimizing the frequency of migraine attacks while you are nursing your baby. Consult your doctor for appropriate dose that you need to alleviate the pain and frequency of headaches while breastfeeding (6).
Side-Effects Of Sumatriptan While Breastfeeding:
Even though there are many benefits of having Imitrex to cure migraine headaches while nursing a baby, there are certain side-effects of the medications. Sometimes, new moms might suffer from the side-effects of Sumatriptan while some may not. Here is a list of potential side-effects of Imitrex breastfeeding.
• Chest or throat pain
• Slow speech or difficulty while talking
• Abdominal discomfort
• Nasal irritation
• Reactions to injections.
• Sudden weight loss
• Numbness or weakness in your leg or arm
• Irregular heart beating
• Allergic reactions
• Elevated blood pressure (7)
If you experience any of the above side-effects after having the medicine, visit your doctor at once and get the right treatment for your condition.
Did you take any form of Sumatriptan while nursing your dear little one? How did you benefit from it? Did you suffer from any side effects? Tell us your story below.
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wellbutrin (Buproprion) For Breastfeeding Mothers
- Is It Safe To Use Benzoyl Peroxide While Breastfeeding?
- Is Paroxetine (Paxil) Safe During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Take Antibiotics While Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 6 Most Popular Indian Mythological Stories For Kids - September 15, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016