Did you know that an ingrown toenail is one of the most common nail problems that toddlers face? If you are wondering what an ingrown toenail is or are looking for ways to treat your toddler’s condition, look no further. Read our post and learn all you need to know about if your toddler has ingrown toenail.
What Is An Ingrown Toenail?
Ingrown Toenail or onychocryptosis or unguis incarnatus, is a condition of the toe. The condition is terribly painful and it typically occurs when a sharp corner of your toddler’s toenail digs into the skin at the end or the side of the toe.
Causes Of Ingrown Toenails In Toddlers:
There are many reasons for ingrown toenails in toddlers, some of them include:
- Tender nail edges:
Your toddler might suffer from improper shaping of nail edges that can arise naturally or due to improper care.
- Tight Shoes:
Your toddler uses extremely tight shoes that pressurize his nails and shape them towards the tender skin around.
- Sensitive Skin:
Your toddler’s skin is quite sensitive and soft. It cannot handle the pressure of the nail.
[ Read: Tooth Discoloration In Toddlers ]
Symptoms Of Ingrown Toenails In Toddlers:
Here are the most common symptoms of ingrown toenails in toddlers:
- Redness around the nail.
- Blisters around the nail.
- Inflammation around the nail.
- Tenderness around the nail.
- Curved nails.
- Improper walking.
- Crying while wearing shoes.
- Crying on touching the toe.
[ Read: Causes Of Dandruff In Toddlers ]
Preventing Ingrown Toenail In Toddlers:
Here we look at some common preventive measures for toddler ingrown toenails.
- One of the best things you can do to prevent ingrown toenails is to trim your toddler’s nails properly. The perfect shaping of nails is important.
- Toddlers’ nails are tender and get cut easily resulting in improper shaping sometimes. It is more advisable to use a baby nail cutter, than other objects like scissors. When you cut and shape his nails, you must make sure the nails are straight with no curved edges.
- Use a shoe that fits him. Do not use footwear that is extremely tight. A tight shoe may lead to pressure on his toe, which can lead to ingrown toenails.
Remedies For Ingrown Toenail In Toddlers:
Before you treat your little one’s ingrown toenails, you need to wait until his nail grows back into a proper shape and direction. In most toddlers, home remedies ease the pain and cure the problem. However, if his condition worsens, visit a doctor and take the necessary medication to avoid any serious complications.
- Soak your toddler’s painful toe in a bowl of warm water to ease pain and also to make the nail softer. It will help his nail get back to the natural position.
- Raise the nail and place stuffing like cotton between the nail and the skin under it. Don’t raise the nail too high and make sure the nail looks in normal shape after you place the cotton. Let the motion continue till you find the nail becomes normal.
- Use a general antiseptic ointment or any other gel-based cream around the affected toenail, to make it soft.
Visiting A Doctor:
If the home remedy doesn’t seem to work or your little one’s condition worsens, seek medical attention immediately.
If the nail appears swollen or infected, take him to a doctor immediately.
[ Read: Warts In Toddlers ]
A Word Of Caution:
Remember that you need to keep your darling safe and comfortable during the treatment. Let him walk around barefoot and wrap the toe in surgical cotton if the pain is too intense.
Has your child suffered from ingrown toenails? What did you do about it? Share your experience with other moms here.
- Gingivostomatitis In Toddlers – Causes And Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- 4 Major Causes Leading To Bad Breath In Toddlers
- 8 Signs And Symptoms Of Strep Throat In Toddlers
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Cure Excessive Drooling In Toddlers
Latest posts by Harini Santhosh (see all)
- 4 Types Of Metabolic Disorders In Children - June 2, 2015
- Eczema In Teens – Causes, Symptoms And Remedies - May 29, 2015
- Dysphagia In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - May 29, 2015
- Ingrown Toenail In Toddlers – Everything You Need To Know - May 25, 2015
- Tooth Discoloration In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - May 25, 2015
- 2 Common Fruits You Should Avoid While Breastfeeding - May 18, 2015
- 6 Positive And 4 Negative Effects Of Social Media On Children - May 15, 2015
- Detox Diet For Teens – Everything You Need To Know - April 29, 2015
- Supplementing Breastfeeding With Formula - Is It Ok? - April 22, 2015
- Meningitis In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - April 22, 2015