Are you expecting and affected by an insect bite? Do you want to treat the irritation, but are unsure about how it will harm your baby? If you said yes, you should consider reading our post. Pregnant females are prone to insect bites. Pregnant women possess more than average body temperature that makes them more attractive to the insects than normal people. Read on to know how can you treat insect bite during pregnancy.
Causes Of Insect Bites During Pregnancy
Several insects can bite during pregnancy. Also, the above-average body temperature of the pregnant woman is the main reason that attracts insects. Here are some prominent insects that bite during pregnancy.
- Honeybees and bumblebees
- Fire ants
- Sand flies, horse flies, and deer flies
- Bedbugs (1)
Symptoms Of Insect Bites During Pregnancy
Symptoms of insect bites while pregnant can vary from mild to severe. Here is a list of symptoms of insect bites.
- Rash or reddening of skin
- Swelling in a particular area or expanding throughout the body
- Numbness in the bitten area
- Heat on or around the bitten area
- Muscle spasm
- Difficulty in breathing
- Nausea or vomiting
- Increased heartbeat
- Loss of consciousness (2)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Dengue During Pregnancy ]
Diagnosing Insect Bites During Pregnancy
If you observe any of the above symptoms while expecting, consult your doctor to prevent any aggravation. Since the symptoms of insect bites are quite apparent, the doctor can immediately diagnose the cause and begin the right line of treatment.
Treating Insect Bites When Pregnant
Early and appropriate line of treatment can help mitigate the symptoms and effects of insect bites when pregnant.
1. Apply Cold Pack:
Wash the bite area with water. Apply an ice pack to reduce the swelling and pain during pregnancy. Avoid rubbing and scratching the affected skin area since it will only aggravate the condition (3).
2. Use Anti-Itch Creams:
You can also use anti-itch creams to get relief from the itching sensation, but consult your doctor about which creams would be safe to use topically. Use the recommended creams in prescribed quantities. Topical application of Aloe Vera gel can help minimize the swelling. However, remove it in some time since prolonged application can make you susceptible to allergic reactions. If the doctor suggests pain relievers or antihistamines to treat severe symptoms of insect bites, make sure you use them as directed so that your unborn doesn’t suffer any adverse effects (4).
[ Read: Tips To Prevent Hives During Pregnancy ]
3. First Aid And CPR:
In severe cases of insect bites, use first aid and call paramedics to treat your condition. The doctor may recommend Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if you find it difficult to breathe properly. Doctors treat patients with spider and scorpion bites in an emergency room since the bites have severe adverse effects (5).
Preventing Insect Bites During Pregnancy
With certain preventive measures, it is possible to protect yourself from insect bites while expecting. Here is a list of prevention tips to prevent insect bites in pregnancy.
- Apply an insect repellent to your exposed skin areas only as per the instructions on the packet.
- Keep foods and drinks covered while eating or drinking since bees and wasps can get in the bottles and packets.
- Wear long-sleeved clothes and pants to safeguard your skin from insect bites.
- Avoid using products with strong scents, such as deodorants, soaps, and shampoos, since the scent can attract insects.
- Avoid camping near water bodies, such as ponds, lakes, and swamps (6).
[ Read: Malaria During Pregnancy ]
Did you suffer from an insect bite during pregnancy? What did you do to treat it effectively yet safely? Share your invaluable experience with other expecting mothers. Leave a comment below.
- Jaundice During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 8 Effective Tips To Cure Flu During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Take Tamiflu During Pregnancy?
- 10 Effective Treatments To Cure IBS Symptoms During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016