Alkaline water among people and health enthusiasts. However, you might want to know about the benefits and side effects of alkaline water for babies before giving it to your child.
Alkaline water has a higher pH level than normal drinking water. It also contains more minerals and is comparatively pure.
Although further research is needed to prove the benefits of alkaline water for babies, no harmful effects have been reported yet. However, it is important to consult with your doctor before introducing alkaline water to your child to avoid any adverse effects. Read on to know about the safety of alkaline water for babies and its benefits.
What Is Alkaline Water?
The pH of water is an important measurement that decides the quality of the water. Ionized water or alkaline water refers to water that has a pH level of more than 7 (1).
You can prepare alkaline water by using a faucet-based water ionizer (2). The method is increasingly becoming popular these days.
According to popular belief, drinking alkaline water helps balance the pH levels of the body. The increasing consumption of processed foods tends to create an acidic pH in the body, and alkaline water can help neutralize the acidity, bringing the pH to normal. However, more research needs to be done to prove these claims.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water companies claim many benefits associated with the consumption of alkaline water, some of which include the following:
- It reduces the risk of diseases linked to cellular and bone degeneration. Helps in preventing bone degeneration.
- It lowers the risk of suffering from kidney disorders.
- It improves blood flow by regulating the pH levels in the body.
- Alkaline water provides better hydration than normal water.
- It also helps protect the hair and skin from dryness.
- It helps in acid reflux.
Alkaline water is also a storehouse of antioxidants that the body absorbs quite readily to eliminate the free radicals. It may help prevent cancer. Alkaline water may also prohibit the growth of harmful bacteria in the body, and thereby reduce the risk of infection and inflammation.
However, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), denies any benefits of using alkaline water for bone health since there is insufficient medical evidence supporting the claim (2). Hence, it is imperative to consult your doctor before using it for your babies.
Is Alkaline Water Safe For Babies?
Alkaline water may offer many health benefits for you. But is it safe for your baby as well? Let us find out:
- Make sure you consult a pediatrician before giving your little one alkaline water. Also, avoid giving your baby alkaline water 30-45 minutes before and after meals.
- It is best to avoid using alkaline water to mix baby formula feed or any other baby foods, and stick to normal tap (and filtered) water for these purposes.
- If your baby is on certain medications, make sure you avoid giving alkaline water to the baby to avoid any possible interactions.
- Only around eight ounces of alkaline water should be given daily if your pediatrician recommends.
- In general, it is best to avoid giving alkaline water to your baby since scientific research is yet to confirm the health benefits it offers. Remember that breast milk is the best food for babies up to six months of age, and it is best to start introducing whole foods that are natural and unprocessed after he crosses this important milestone (3).
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use alkaline water for baby formula?
Lesser quantities of alkali in milk results in slower weight gain for bottle-fed babies. Introducing a more pH-balanced milk may prove beneficial for infants (6). However, consult your baby’s pediatrician before using alkaline water for baby formula.
2. At what age can children drink alkaline water?
A baby only needs breastmilk or formula until six months of age (7). After that too, their main liquid intake in breastmilk or formula. After they turn one, you can ask your pediatrician about introducing alkaline water.
3. How much alkaline water can I give my baby?
After six months, your baby can have around 4-8 ounces of water every day. One- to three-year-old babies need nearly 4 cups of beverages including water and milk (8). Ask your pediatrician how much alkaline water you can include in your child’s daily routine.
Alkaline water is known for its numerous health benefits, such as improved blood flow and reduced risk of bone degeneration and kidney disorders. However, the benefits and safety of alkaline water for babies are uncertain since there is a lack of scientific evidence. Therefore, be cautious while giving alkaline water to your baby, especially in early infancy and if they are on any medications. Further, speak to your pediatrician to understand whether babies need it and what its possible side effects could be for infants.
Infographic: Advantages Of Alkaline Water For Babies
Alkaline water is also a safer alternative to tap water, as it is less acidic. It imparts several benefits for infants, including promoting their overall health and well-being. Scroll through the infographic below to learn about its key benefits from this infographic. You may save and share it with other parents too!
- pH and Water.
- Bottled Alkaline Water — Don’t Believe the Marketing Hype.
- Exclusive breastfeeding for six months best for babies everywhere.
- Alkaline Water – Is it the miracle beverage?
- Side Effects of Consuming Alkaline Water.
- Significance of milk pH in Newborn Infants
- Recommended Drinks for Children Age 5 & Younger
- Choose Water for Healthy Hydration;