Are you a new mom and a health enthusiast too? Have you heard about the goodness of alkaline water and are planning to introduce it to your precious baby? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
From fad diets to dietary supplements, there are a lot of newfound ‘health’ claims that are climbing the popularity charts with each passing day, and alkaline water is just one of them. So what exactly is alkaline water, and is alkaline water safe for babies? We’ve answered that and much more in this article. Go ahead and give this post a read to find out.
What Is Alkaline Water?
Ionized water or alkaline water refers to water that has a pH level of more than 7. You can prepare alkaline water by using a faucet based water ionizer. The method is increasingly becoming popular these days.
According to popular belief, drinking alkaline water helps balance the pH levels of the body. The increasing consumption of processed foods tends to create an acidic pH in the body, and alkaline water can help neutralize the acidity, bringing the pH to normal.
[ Read: When Do Baby Start Drinking Water ]
What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking Alkaline Water?
There are many benefits associated with the consumption of alkaline water, some of which include the following:
- It reduces the risk of diseases linked to cellular and bone degeneration such as osteoporosis, arthritis, etc.
- It lowers the risk of suffering from kidney disorders.
- It improves the blood flow by regulating the pH levels in the body.
- Alkaline water provides better hydration than normal water.
- It also helps protect the hair and skin from dryness.
What’s more, alkaline water is also a storehouse of antioxidants that the body absorbs quite readily to eliminate the free radicals. Free radicals may cause premature aging and cancer. The consumption of alkaline water can help cut down these risks. Alkaline water may also prohibit the growth of harmful bacteria in the body, and thereby reduce the risk of infection and inflammation.
Medical research is yet to prove the above health benefits of drinking alkaline water. Hence, it is imperative to consult your doctor before consuming it.
[ Read: Benefits Of Coconut Water For Babies ]
Is Alkaline Water Safe For Babies?
Alkaline water may offer many health benefits for you. But is it safe for your baby as well? Let us find out:
- Make sure you consult a pediatrician before giving your little one alkaline water. Also, avoid giving your baby alkaline water 30-45 minutes before and after meals.
- It is best to avoid using alkaline water to mix baby formula feed or any other baby foods, and stick to normal tap (and filtered) water for these purposes.
[ Read: Is Bottled Water Safe For Babies ]
- If your baby is on certain medications, make sure you avoid giving alkaline water for baby to avoid any possible interactions.
- In general, it is best to avoid giving alkaline water to your baby since the scientific research is yet to confirm the health benefits it offers. Remember that breast milk is the best food for babies up to six months of age, and it is best to start introducing whole foods that are natural and unprocessed after he crosses this important milestone.
[ Read: When Can Babies Drink Water ]
- It is best to seek advice from a healthcare provider before you try feeding your baby anything new, especially if he’s too young.
[ Read: Dehydration In Babies ]
Now you know all about alkaline water for babies. Why wait? Go ahead and enlighten other moms!
Did you try drinking alkaline water? Did you give it to your little one too? How did it benefit you both? Please share your experience and advice with us here.
- Top 5 Food Ideas For Your 5 Months Baby
- Top 10 Food Ideas/Diet For Your 9 Months Baby
- Can You Feed Cerelac To Your 4 Month Old Baby?
- How To Prepare Formula Milk For Babies?