Wish I could take over your pain.
This is what you feel every time your baby gets up in the night crying due to itching or irritation on the skin. You hope there is a mechanism wherein he can pass on his suffering to you. Alas, that is not the case. You cannot see your baby suffer, you feel helpless. You would be tempted to go to a drug store that time in the night and buy him anti-allergen Benadryl. It might soothe your baby but is Benadryl safe for infants? No, it is not, largely because the drug is not tested on babies of less than two years age.
According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), children less than two years should not be administered cough and cold medicine consisting of decongestants ephedrine, phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, and antihistamines diphenhydramine (found in Benadryl), chlorpheniramine, or brompheniramine (1).
Also, parents should not modify dosages intended for older children and offer them to younger ones. MomJunction explains in detail why Benadryl can be harmful for your baby and if you should use the drug to put your baby to sleep.
What is Benadryl?
Benadryl is an antihistamine with sedative effect, intended to treat allergies. The popular allergy brand is known to help relieve itchiness, hives, common cold, cough and also induce sleep. However, it is not proven to help reduce cold symptoms.
There are different formulations for Benadryl, including pediatric and adult, and it comes in the form of tablets, cream, chewables and liquid.
The medical ingredient present in the allergy medication is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 6.25 mg/5 mL, while the non-medical ingredients include Benzoate, Citrate, Glycerin, Sorbitol and Saccharin sodium as sweeteners, Carboxymethylcellulose, and flavors.
When the drug is meant to treat allergies, and also available in a pediatric formulation, why is it not suitable for infants?
[ Read: Treating Allergies In Babies ]
Why Is Benadryl Not Good For Babies?
The medication makes babies fall asleep (2) deeply. Benadryl can have an opposite effect too! Wendy Sue Swanson, M.D., MBE, a doctor at Seattle Children’s Hospital, says that Benadryl could increase the energy, making them hyperactive.
Other side effects of benadryl in infants include:
- lower respiratory rate
- irregular heart rate
- dry mouth
- stomach upset
- blood pressure issues
As there are no studies available on the effects, there is no standard recommended benadryl dosage for babies. Moreover, the label on Benadryl anti-itching cream clearly indicates that ‘the cream is not intended for use in children under age two unless as directed by a doctor’ (3).
[ Read: Hives In Babies ]
Can I Use Benadryl To Make My Baby Sleep?
Some parents use the over-the-counter medication to create drowsiness in their babies, especially when they are traveling. You may want to use a few drops of it to make your infant feel sleepy, but it is not at all a good idea.
- Get your baby accustomed to long rides, carry some healthy snacks during long journeys and take along your darling’s favorite toys or books. You may also take breaks every two hours to give some rest to the baby.
- If your little one has sleep issues, try a bedtime routine. You may also consider sleep training. If your baby goes to a day care center or is under a caretaker, make sure they do not give Benadryl to put him to sleep. The risks are just not worth a few hours of sleep!
Do not buy any OTC medicines for a baby younger than six months, before you talk to a pediatrician. If your baby has an allergy or a cold, home remedies may be the best solution, but only after you confirm with your doctor.
What are your solutions for allergies in babies? Share your tips and opinions in the comments section.
- Effective Home Remedies For Cough In Babies
- Seasonal Allergies In Babies To Watch Out For
- Fever In Babies – Causes And Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- Nasal Congestion In Infants – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Sumana Maheswari (see all)
- Missing Your Pre-Pregnancy Skin Glow? You Can Get It Back! - September 23, 2016
- 30 Educative And Fun Water Animal Facts For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Triple Screening In Pregnancy - Essential Elements, Process And Accuracy - March 31, 2016
- Blood In Breast Milk: Is It Safe For Your Baby? - March 28, 2016
- 14 Brilliant Activities For Your 2-Month-Old's Development - March 18, 2016
- 8 Important Things You Must Know When Giving Baby Ice Cream - March 3, 2016
- Is It Safe To Take Alprazolam (Xanax) While Breastfeeding? - February 9, 2016
- Is It Safe To Take Prednisone While Breastfeeding? - February 5, 2016
- Is It Safe To Take Prozac (Fluoxetine) While Breastfeeding? - January 27, 2016
- Why Do Some Babies Crawl Backwards? - December 30, 2015