Do you usually purchase a bottle of packaged water whenever your little one cries in thirst? Do you order mineral water for kids and not tap water at restaurants? Do you feel bottled water for kids is safer and healthier? If you answered yes, you might want to think again. Is it good for your kid to drink mineral water? Read this post and decide for yourself.
What Is Bottled Water?
Bottled water or packaged water or distilled water or distilled, etc., is sold in packaged plastic bottles. It may or may not be carbonated. Producing bottled water requires many processes including distillation, deionization, reverse osmosis procedures, etc. Bottled water is a booming industry, with millions all over the globe drinking out of plastic bottles today.
Side Effects Of Bottled Water For Kids:
Bottled water is not only harmful to your body, but it also has negative effects on the environment, which may be direct or indirect effects. Let’s have a look at some of them here:
1. Tooth Decay:
If you frequently buy your kid bottled water, you may be contributing to his tooth decay. Studies reveal that consuming too much bottled water can cause cavities as your kid misses out on fluoride essential for teeth. On the other hand, tap water contains enough fluoride to protect teeth.
[ Read: Tooth Decay In Children ]
2. Health Hazards:
Plastic is a known carcinogen. It can lead to cancer and even trigger infertility.
[ Read: How Much Water Should Your Kid Drink ]
3. Carbon footprint:
Usually, trucks and lorries transport bottled water from one place to the other. The transport only adds to the carbon footprint and increases pollution.
4. Plastic Waste:
You know that plastic is a non-biodegradable waste. Educate your kid about plastic bottles and how plastic waste is a danger to our environment.
We know about some of the harmful effects of bottled water, not only for your kid, but also for the environment. However, the rise of water-borne diseases is disconcerting, and you want your little darling to be safe all the time. So, what do you do to ensure his safety? Are there any alternatives to bottled water? Well, yes there are! Read these wonderful alternatives to bottled water, which are easy to follow. Some of the important options include:
1. Install A Water Purifier:
If your kid doesn’t like the taste of normal tap water, consider installing a water purifier at home. It will be more economical than buying bottled water and will help prevent any water borne diseases. You can consider using a tap filter, but it is advisable to get a water treatment filter.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Dehydration In Kids ]
2. Refrigerators With Built-In-Filters:
Refrigerator with built-in filters provide instantly chilled water and are wildly popular. Not only do they provide chilled water to drink, but the water is also germ-free. Such filters also make ice using the same filtered water.
3. Reusable Water Bottles With Built-In-Filters:
If you plan to travel and it so happens that you need to refill your bottle often, don’t fret! Reusable water bottles with built-in filters are your saving grace. These handy options provide your kid safe and clean drinking water on the go. So, the next time, consider buying a reusable water bottle with a built-in filter. Help put an end to kids over dependence on bottled water.
Do you know of any other side effects of kids bottled water? Do you prefer giving your little one bottled water or do you boil normal tap water? How do you keep your kid’s drinking water safe and germ-free? Have any other tips for fellow mothers? Share your stories, experiences and insights with us below. Leave a comment in the box.
- Home Fire Safety For Kids
- A Healthy Food Guide Pyramid For Kids
- Healthy And Good Habits For Kids
- Top 10 Kitchen Safety Tips For Kids
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- Roseola In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - November 30, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Sodium Citrate During Pregnancy? - November 26, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Turnip During Pregnancy? - November 23, 2015
- Is Vanilla Extract Safe During Pregnancy? - November 17, 2015
- Tay-Sachs Disease In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Ventricular Septal Defect In Children - All You Need To Know - October 31, 2015
- Color Blindness In Toddlers - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - October 21, 2015
- Hot Flashes In Children - Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - September 21, 2015
- Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - September 15, 2015
- Port Wine Stains On Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - September 14, 2015