Sumatriptan (brand name – Imitrex) is a serotonin receptor agonist used to treat migraines. It can stimulate the release of serotonin – a neurotransmitter that reduces inflammation and constriction of blood vessels in case of a migraine attack. It is used to treat acute migraine with or without aura.
But is it safe to use Imitrex during pregnancy? In this post, MomJunction will answer this and many other questions related to the use of Imitrex during pregnancy.
Is Imitrex Safe During Pregnancy?
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classified Imitrex as a “pregnancy category C’ drug. Studies conducted on rats and rabbits observe fetal abnormalities, embryo, and pup mortality. And there aren’t enough well-controlled studies in pregnant women to determine the effects. Hence the FDA suggests the use of Imitrex only when safer alternatives fail to work or when the potential benefits outweigh the risks (2).
This drug must only be used only when there is a clear diagnosis of migraine headache. It should not be used as prophylactic therapy for migraine attacks or treatment of cluster headache (3).
Studies On Use of Imitrex During Pregnancy
The data available through manufacturer-sponsored pregnancy registers and a few retrospective and prospective observational studies on the effects of sumatriptan state that the risk of malformations is not over the baseline risk in the general population (4).
Another study conducted using the Swedish Medical Birth Registry found that the risk of fetal malformations was not significantly high in women who used sumatriptan during their early pregnancy. But the study does not rule out a moderate increase in possible preterm births and low birth weight in babies (5).
Acetaminophen is usually prescribed during pregnancy because of its proven safety. If that does not give you relief, then the doctor may prescribe sumatriptan.
Does Taking Sumatriptan During Pregnancy Increase The Chances of Miscarriage?
The data available through pregnancy registries for sumatriptan states that spontaneous abortion is the most common adverse effect. However, your doctor might prescribe the drug during pregnancy if they deem it necessary (6).
What Are The Side Effects of Imitrex During Pregnancy?
Imitrex might have the following side-effects (7).
- Myocardial ischemia (deficient blood supply to the heart muscles)
- Chest, throat, neck, jaw tightness and pain
- Medication overuse headache
- Serotonin syndrome (high body temperature, agitation, tremor, sweating, dilated pupils)
- Increase in blood pressure
- Hypersensitivity reactions
How To Manage Migraine Attacks During Pregnancy?
If you are diagnosed with migraines, then consult your healthcare provider and take the prescribed medicine. However, there are some non-medical ways to prevent the recurrence of migraine attacks (2).
- Stress can be a triggering factor for migraine attacks, so try relaxation techniques and practice mindfulness.
- Avoid activities and foods that could trigger your migraine.
Mild headaches are common during pregnancy and can be treated by increasing the intake of fluids and getting adequate rest. But if you are diagnosed with migraines, then it is best to consult your doctor and take the appropriate treatment.
Did you take Imitrex to treat migraines during pregnancy? Share your experience with us by commenting in the section below.
This post is for informational purposes only and is not a replacement for a doctor’s consultation. Do not use any medication without talking to your doctor.
2. Prescribing Information; Sumatriptan Succinate; US Food and Drug Administration
3. Prescribing Information- Imitrex; US Food and Drug Administration
4. Silvia Duong, RPh, Pina Bozzo, Hedvig Nordeng, PhD, and Adrienne Einarson, RN;Safety of triptans for migraine headaches during pregnancy and breastfeeding; NCBI (2010)
5. Kallen B, Lygner PE; Delivery outcome in women who used drugs for migraine during pregnancy with special reference to sumatriptan; NCBI(2001)
6. Offie P. Soldin, PhD, MBA,Julia Dahlin, and Daniel M. O’Mara, BA; Triptans in Pregnancy; NCBI (2013)
7. Imitrex (sumatriptan succinate); GlaxoSmithKline
Latest posts by sanjana lagudu (see all)
- What is Sole Custody and when does a parent get it? - October 3, 2019
- 10 Unique gender-reveal party ideas - September 17, 2019
- 101 Best Father And Son Quotes - September 4, 2019
- 8 things that happen during the first six months of a relationship - August 30, 2019
- 25 Best 6th wedding anniversary gift ideas - August 29, 2019
- 15 Things That Are Most Important In a Relationship - August 28, 2019
- What is True love and what does it feel like? - August 27, 2019
- 84 Cute Ways To Say I Love You - August 27, 2019
- 10 Signs You are in a Love-hate Relationship - August 7, 2019
- 30 Special Wedding Anniversary gifts for parents - August 6, 2019