Do you need to chew some gum to concentrate better? Are you addicted to sugar-free chewing gums and simply cannot seem to give up on them? Are you worried that your unhealthy habit may harm the little one in your womb? If you can relate to the above, scroll down to find out if chewing gum while pregnant is a safe bet or not.
Is Chewing Gum Safe During Pregnancy?
When you are pregnant, it is important to take into consideration the safety angle of everything you eat and drink, and that includes chewing gums too.
Most food items that you eat after checking the sugar-free label are full of artificial sweeteners. While you may consciously be cutting down your intake of sugar while you are pregnant, you may unknowingly fall into the trap of gaining empty calories in the form of artificial sweeteners.
Before you consume anything while you are pregnant, it is important to seek a nod of approval from your doctor. She will be the best person to guide you whether or not it is safe for you to chew gum while you are pregnant. She may even suggest the best chewing gum for you and the ones you should avoid.
What Are Artificial Sweeteners?
Artificial sweeteners are ingredients added to food items to make them sweet, without the use of sugar. Foods that come with the ‘sugar-free’ label like candies, colas, desserts and chewing gums, are replete with artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners are of two types:
1. Nutritive Artificial Sweeteners:
The nutritive form of artificial sweeteners contains calories.
2. Non-Nutritive Artificial Sweeteners:
The non-nutritive form of artificial sweeteners does not contain any calorie.
[ Read: Eating Ice Cream During Pregnancy ]
Nutritive Artificial Sweeteners In Chewing Gums
Most brands of chewing gums that claim to be sugar-free contain some or the other form of nutritive artificial sweeteners.
Nutritive artificial sweeteners are full of empty calories. Therefore, even sugar-free chewing gums are high in calories and low in vitamin or mineral content. It is safe to consume nutritive artificial sweeteners during your pregnancy in moderate quantity. However, it is important first to take your doctor’s advice on the same.
[ Read: Corn Flakes During Pregnancy ]
When To Avoid Nutritive Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy?
If you have any of the following medical conditions during your pregnancy, make sure you avoid taking nutritive artificial sweeteners:
- Gestational Diabetes: It is a condition in which you will have very high levels of blood sugar during your pregnancy.
- Insulin Resistance: It is a condition in which your body becomes resistant to the insulin hormone. It puts you at a higher risk of suffering from a heart disease and is usually a precedent to Type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes Mellitus: It is one of the most common types of diabetes. In most cases, it remains a life-long condition and affects your body’s ability to make use of the energy it gains from foods.
Non-Nutritive Sweeteners That Are Safe During Pregnancy
Most non-nutritive artificial sweeteners are safe for consumption. The amount added is also usually small, only enough to give the food a little sweet flavor.
Here are some types of non-nutritive sweeteners added in chewing gums that you can safely consume while you are pregnant:
Most chewing gums contain a form of non-nutritive sweetener called aspartame. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) deems it safe for use in chewing gums. It is still advisable that you check with your doctor before using it while expecting. Make sure you have it in only moderate quantities. (1)
Do not use chewing gums that contain aspartame if you have any of the following conditions:
- Phenylketonuria or PKU – it is a rare metabolic disorder
- Any form of liver disorder
- If your doctor confirms high levels of phenylalanine in your blood
It is a non-caloric sweetener approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a flavor in chewing gums. You and can have it in moderate amounts while you are pregnant. It will not have any effect on your blood sugar, and does not contain any calorie that can harm you or your unborn baby.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Eat Pizza During Pregnancy ]
Artificial Sweeteners That Are Unsafe During Pregnancy
Make sure you label to check the ingredients, before eating chewing gum during pregnancy. The following types of artificial sweeteners are not safe for consumption during pregnancy:
Even though it is not as popular as it was earlier, it is still a common ingredient in some food products, including chewing gums. You should strictly avoid its intake during these critical nine months as it can cross your placenta, reach your fetus and cause health complications.
It is a banned ingredient in the US. However, many chewing gum brands from other countries may still be using it to add the sweet flavor. Its safety for consumption during pregnancy is uncertain as yet hence it is best to avoid its intake to safeguard your unborn baby.
Speak to your doctor about chewing gums while you are pregnant and limit your intake to a minimum.
Did you try chewing gum while pregnant? What brands did you like? What did your doctor advise? Please share your experience and advice with other moms-to-be here.
- Is It Safe To Have Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Pasta During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Noodles During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Sweet Corn During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Cake During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016