Do you think that in the constant need to eat more as a lactating mother you sometimes end up overdoing it? Are you missing your traditional detox diet? Well, if you are contemplating going on a detox diet while nursing your darling baby, reading this post is a good idea!
Detox while breastfeeding is not advisable at all. But that does not mean you have to give up on the idea of detoxification altogether. Your question might be can I detox while breastfeeding? Read On!
What Is The Meaning Of Detox?
Detox is a natural way to cleanse your body of all the toxins and wastes. Various practitioners of alternative medicine also promote detoxification diets (1).
Does A Detox Diet Really Work?
There are diverse opinions about whether a detox diet works or not. Believers say they see a mark difference in their weight and overall health. On the contrary, scientists feel that a detox diet is a sham and a waste of time and effort. The many tablets and products that claim to help you detox are all vivid examples of marketing gimmicks. Instead, all you need is some drinking water, fresh air, and good quality sleep to clean your body of harmful chemicals (2).
Five Tips To Detox While Breastfeeding:
Sure it is not safe to go on a detoxing while breastfeeding. Your baby needs all the nutrition and depends on you for sustenance. So what do you do? Get smart and formulate a plan that will eliminate waste yet take care of your nutritional requirements. Here are a few tips to help you:
1. Drink Lots Of Water:
Your body loses fluids all the time, more so when you are breastfeeding your baby. Drink water to prevent dehydration. As a new mom, this should be your main mantra. Water helps your kidney flush out all the toxins from the body (3).
2. Binge On Fresh Natural Juices:
Include lots of fresh natural juice in your daily diet to ensure your milk flow remains steady. You can easily combine various fruits and vegetables and enjoy a new flavor every day. The juices will keep you hydrated and boost your bowel movement and kidney functioning (4).
3. Snooze Your Way To Health:
Sleeping for eight hours may be impossible for new moms like you. Hence, try and take a short nap as and when you can as it will help you detox as well. According to a study, your brain does help to flush out toxins while you are asleep (5).
[ Read: Diet For Breastfeeding Mothers ]
4. Add Fiber To Your Diet:
Fiber helps your digestive system eliminate the toxins effectively as it regulates your bowel movement. Smooth and regular bowel movements are a signal that your body is trying to get back to normal after a recent binging spree. Include lots of fiber-rich foods in your daily diet to keep constipation at bay (6).
[ Read: Is Honey Ok While Breastfeeding ]
5. Say Yes To Homemade Food:
If you wish to detox, eat homemade food only. Prepare a balanced meal and spend time with your family over dinner. Avoid packaged and processed foods as much as you can. Do not skip meals, but ensure you eat small meals at regular intervals (7).
Are There Any Side Effects Of A Detox Diet?
Following a detox diet can have some serious side effects, especially while you are still breastfeeding. You should speak to your doctor before you try any detox diet as a lactating mother, no matter how safe or popular it is (8).
A healthy lifestyle can help your body detox naturally. While you are still breastfeeding, avoid any fad diets to lose weight. Remember, your doctor is always your best guide.
Let your body heal and then get back to a fitness regimen. Until then focus on nurturing your precious baby and bonding with him.
Did you try any detox diet while breastfeeding? What did your doctor advise you to do? Please share your experience and tips with other mothers.
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Swim?
- 23 Advantages Of Breastfeeding For You And Your Baby
- Is Consuming Seafood Safe While Breastfeeding?
- Top 10 Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016