Are you a new mother who is bored of drinking cow’s milk every day? Are you keen to explore other healthy and delicious drinks like almond milk? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a must.
Almond milk offers numerous health benefits. But is it safe to drink almond milk while breastfeeding your little one? Read on to unearth the truth!
What Is Almond Milk?
Almond milk serves as an alternative to dairy milk. It is a plant-based beverage obtained by grinding the toasted raw almonds with water. Almond milk is a nutritious and natural drink that contains no added colors or flavors. (1)
Nutritional Value Of Almond Milk:
Compared to normal cow’s milk, almond milk is low in both fats and calories. A single cup of sweetened almond milk contains approximately 90 calories and 2.5 grams of fat. On the other hand, a cup of cow’s milk contains 120 calories and 5 grams of fat. Almond milk can also serve as a low-calorie natural drink if you avoid adding artificial flavors and sweeteners to it. A cup of plain almond milk contains 30 calories only!
Additionally, as the almond milk is not an animal-based product, it does not contain cholesterol or harmful saturated fats. (2) However, it only provides 1 gram of protein per cup, whereas a single cup of cow’s milk supplies 8 grams of protein.
Almond milk is low in fats and rich in vitamin E, vitamin D, Vitamin A, and calcium. It also contains trace amounts of sodium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and dietary fiber. All these elements can ensure the healthy growth and development of your breastfeeding baby. (3)
[ Read: Lemon Water While Breastfeeding ]
Health Benefits Of Almond Milk While Breastfeeding:
Here are some of the ways in which drinking almond milk while breastfeeding can work wonders for your health:
- Enhances Breast Milk Production: The considerable amount of omega-3 fatty acids in almonds can stimulate your hormones and enhance both the quantity and quality of your breast milk. If you are suffering from a poor lactation level, drinking almond milk regularly can considerably boost your breast milk production.
- Boosts Your Immunity: The delicious alternative to cow’s milk is a storehouse of vitamins and minerals. Regular intake of it can improve the functioning of your immune system and keep dreadful diseases and infections at bay. It can boost your pace of recovery post childbirth and safeguard the health of your little one.
- Protects Bone Health: The calcium and phosphorus content of almond milk helps to ensure stronger and healthier bone development in your growing baby.
- Improves Eye And Skin Health: As a new mother juggling maternal chores taking out time for grooming must be a mission impossible for you! Fret not! Do you know a glass of almond milk not only guarantees good health but also ensures that compliments keep coming your way! Almond milk is a rich source of Vitamin A that helps fight oxidative stress, eliminate free radicals, prevent aging and protect against macular degeneration. The Vitamin E in it can give you a glowing skin and a lustrous mane without any effort!
How To Prepare Homemade Almond Milk?
Here is a simple method to enjoy the goodness of homemade almond milk: (4)
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 3 cups of water
- 3 Pitted dates
- A pinch of salt
- Soak the raw almonds in water overnight.
- Drain the excess water and rinse the nuts thoroughly.
- Add ingredients in a blender.
- Churn to obtain a smooth watery consistency.
- Filter the frothy mixture using a strainer.
- Your homemade almond milk is ready to serve.
- You can store the almond milk in your refrigerator for up to three days.
Is Almond Milk Safe While Breastfeeding?
Remember, as a breastfeeding mother your diet will have a direct impact on your baby’s health.
Therefore, it is advisable that you seek a nod of approval from your doctor before adding almond milk to your postnatal diet or completely replacing cow’s milk with it. Remember to consume it in moderate quantities only as anything in excess during this delicate phase may spell danger for you or your baby.
Now you know all about the goodness of almond milk and why it is a must-have while nursing your little one. Why wait? Go ahead and enlighten other lactating mothers today!
Did you consume almond milk while breastfeeding your baby? How did it benefit you and your little one? Please share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- Is It Safe To Eat Cheese While You Are Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Eat Nuts During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts While Breastfeeding?
- 10 Best Foods For Breastfeeding Moms
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016