Do you love drinking jasmine tea? Do you enjoy its distinct aroma? Are you pregnant and want to know whether you can still continue to have jasmine tea? Is it safe to drink your special time? Do you want to try alternative tea options and are thinking of giving jasmine tea a try?
Whatever your reasons for trying jasmine tea, if you are wondering about whether you can have jasmine tea during pregnancy, read our post here.
What Is Jasmine Tea?
Jasmine tea leaves are extremely aromatic; hence most green tea manufacturer’s today place above regular green tea leaves to add the jasmine fragrance. In some cases, the fragrant jasmine blossoms are also added to black tea for a hint of jasmine tea. Jasmine tea is the most famous form of scented tea and is widely used in China .
It is true that drinking jasmine tea may make you feel light and can also help quell any feelings of bloated stomach, which is a common sign during pregnancy. However, it is important to check with your doctor before you consume jasmine tea when pregnant.
[ Read: Safe Herbal Teas During Pregnancy ]
Benefits Of Drinking Jasmine Tea During Pregnancy
The tea that is sold as jasmine tea does not use any real parts of the jasmine flower. Instead, it only contains an essence that is reminiscent of the scent of the jasmine flower. It means that drinking jasmine tea will not have any health, nutritional or medical benefits, whether or not you are pregnant. Instead, since the essence is mixed with green tea, you may derive some health benefits from the same. Green tea has various antioxidants and other health-related benefits that may work for you, even as you mistakenly attribute the goodness to jasmine tea.
Unlike what most people are led to believe, drinking jasmine tea does not have any real benefits.
Is Jasmine Tea Safe During Pregnancy?
Jasmine tea, much like any other green tea or black tea, does contain some amount of caffeine. Consuming caffeine while you are pregnant is not strictly forbidden, but it is important that you take care of how much amount of caffeine you have on a daily basis. To be on the safer side, drink no more than two cups of caffeinated drinks a day. It means that, even if you think that drinking jasmine tea makes you feel light and fresh, avoid having more than two cups.
Also, every pregnancy is unique, and your body may have different medical needs or health issues than someone else. Speak to your doctor about whether or not you can safely drink jasmine tea while pregnant. If your doctor does give you the go-ahead, make sure you also ask how much jasmine tea you can safely have on a regular basis.
[ Read: Drinking Iced Tea During Pregnancy ]
Harmful Effects Of Caffeine While You Are Pregnant
Here are some harmful effects of caffeine that can also affect the unborn baby:
- Sleep or breathing difficulties in the newborn at the time of birth and till some time afterward
- Decline in the newborn’s birth weight
- Increase in the heart rate of the newborn
To be on the safe side and prevent any nasty side effects, you should limit your caffeine consumption. So, even if you drink jasmine tea, avoid overusing it. To reiterate, your doctor is the best person to consult, and she will know about other safer alternatives to jasmine tea.
Did you have jasmine tea when you were pregnant or did your doctor advise against it? Do share your experience in the section below.
- Is It Safe To Have Lipton Tea During Pregnancy?
- 10 Amazing Healthy Benefits Of Ginger Tea During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016