Are you suddenly craving for lime juice while you are pregnant? Are you worried whether it is safe to have lime juice while you are pregnant?
Lime juice has many health benefits when taken on a regular basis. Read on to know whether it is safe to consume it even when you are pregnant.
Is It Safe To Drink Lime Juice During Pregnancy?
Most medical experts will say that drinking lemon juice during pregnancy is safe. However, every pregnancy is unique, and your body may respond differently to the change. Therefore, it is always important to check with your doctor before you take anything.
Nutritional Value Of Lime Juice:
A cup of undiluted lemon juice contains approximately 0.7 gram of dietary fiber, 6.2 gram of sugar, 0.9 gram of protein, 54 calories, 16 gram of carbohydrates and 0.6 gram of fat. It is a rich source of vitamin C, folate and potassium, all of which are essential while you are pregnant. Lemon juice also contains minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, thiamin, phosphorus, riboflavin and pantothenic acid (1). It also has vitamins A, B6 and E.
Be aware of these points before you have lemon juice in your pregnancy:
1. Can Cause Acidity, Heartburn, And Other Gastrointestinal Issues:
Lemon is a citrus fruit and consuming too much lemon juice can cause problems like acidity and heartburn. It can also lead to gastrointestinal issues like stomachaches, diarrhea or indigestion in the later stage of your pregnancy. Stop drinking lemon juice the moment you experience discomfort. If the symptoms do not go away, speak to your doctor about it.
2. Problems In Oral Health:
Lemon juice contains citric acid and excessive intake of it when you are pregnant can dent your teeth’s enamel. Try and mix it with water and use a straw to sip it to minimize the erosion of your teeth enamel. Your risk of getting gingivitis also increases when you are pregnant.
3. Increases Risk Of Foodborne Illnesses:
The safest way to have lemon juice, when you are pregnant, is to make it fresh at home. Always wash the lemon and ensure the utensils and appliances are clean. Your immunity levels are at an all-time low when you are pregnant. Drinking unpasteurized lemon juice can increase the risk of contracting bacteria like E-coli or salmonella. These bacteria can attack your gastrointestinal tract and affect your digestion. A foodborne illness is dangerous as it can harm your unborn baby as well as you. Maintaining hygiene in your kitchen can help you keep gastrointestinal infections at bay during pregnancy.
Benefits Of Lemon Juice In Pregnancy:
Drinking lemon juice during your pregnancy can have the following benefits for both you and your baby:
Drinking lemon juice mixed with warm water can help prevent or reduce the swelling in your feet when you are pregnant You can also drink a mix of lemon juice and bitter gourd juice. It is good for preventing and reducing the problem of swelling in feet that is common during pregnancy. High blood pressure is often a common problem during pregnancy. Mix the juice of half a lime and two tablespoons of tartar cream. Drinking it will help keep your blood pressure levels in check.
[ Read: Is Sugarcane Juice Safe During Pregnancy ]
Lime juice does have a lot of vitamins and minerals that are good for your body. Remember to take it in moderation and always speak to your doctor about its benefits for both you and your baby.
If you loved the tangy and refreshing taste of lime juice during pregnancy, please share your experience here.
- Is It Safe To Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?
- 10 Best Healthy & Energy Drinks To Take During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Ginger Ale During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016