Pregnancy is a time of myriad cravings. Some women like sweets, while others crave something sour or spicy. For those who love the sweet-sour taste, fresh mosambi juice during pregnancy is just what they need to satisfy their craving and hydrate themselves. Mosambi, also called sweet lime, is a fruit with numerous health benefits and a rich source of vitamin C. However, it is best to consume this fruit in moderation while pregnant. Explore more about the safety, potential benefits, and right ways of consuming mosambi juice in pregnancy.
What Is Mosambi Or Sweet Lime?
Sweet lime, Mosambi or Citrus limetta, is a spherical greenish-yellow citrus fruit usually found in South Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, South East Asia and Mediterranean countries. Mosambi is part of the lime family, but unlike other cousins, it is sweet, and it does not have the tanginess of limes or other citrus fruits.
The fruit usually grows on trees and has a thick skin with seeds. It is quite similar to the orange in appearance but is yellow in color. It is widely available in supermarkets (1). When you buy mosambi, be sure to pick ones that are heavy, firm, and not too spongy or ridden with spots. To know how fresh the mosambi is, scratch its skin. There should be a light oily discharge that indicates the fruit is fresh.
How To Make Mosambi Juice ?
If your doctor has advised you to consume mosambi juice, remember to buy farm fresh mosambis and make the juice at home. All that snazzy packing and your laziness might make packaged juice seem like a more lucrative option but try to resist the temptation.
Use the freshness test to pick fresh and ripe mosambi.
You Will Need:
- 3-4 Mosambis
- Two teaspoons of sugar/honey (optional: for extra sweetness)
- Pinch of Black Salt
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- You can either extract the mosambi juice using a juicing machine or manual citrus juicing machine.
- Peel the skin and chop the mosambi into bits.
- Add the chopped mosambi bits to the food processor.
- Blend well, until the juice is smooth.
- Add the sugar or honey to a tall glass. (Optional)
- Collect the juice in a tall glass.
- Sprinkle the black salt and cumin powder on top.
- Enjoy chilled.
To add a variation, you can also garnish it with a couple of mint leaves, or mix more fruits and make a fruit cocktail.
Benefits Of Mosambi Juice During Pregnancy
There are several mosambi juice benefits in pregnancy, which are important for you at this delicate time of pregnancy. Some of them include:
- Helps increase your fluid intake by consumption and helping flush toxins from your body.
- Helps allay constipation and lowers acidity.
- Provides you with a healthy dose of Vitamin C, folate, and other essential minerals.
- Helps you maintain healthy blood cholesterol levels.
- Provides you with a good level of potassium, which helps prevent urinary disorders (2).
- Soothes your nervous system and helps you beat stress.
- Helps cool your body when you suffer from overheating in the summers.
- Helps provide your developing baby with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Improves your skin and hair health (2).
- Improves digestion and also aids in the absorption of nutrients from foods.
Drinking Mosambi Juice The Right Way
In this special time, you need to be extra careful about most things. Follow these practices to ensure that you stay safe while having mosambi juice in pregnancy.
- Use fresh mosambi juice; it is healthier, more hygienic and contains lesser preservatives.
- Refrain from adding ice if you tend to catch a cold easily.
- If you dilute the juice, make sure you add boiled and cooled water or freshly filtered water.
- Do not add black salt or cumin power if it does not suit your taste or digestive system.
- Have freshly squeezed mosambi juice. The stale juice left in the fridge can lead to stomach problems.
It is safe to consume sweet lime or mosambi juice during pregnancy in moderation. The fruit is a good source of many vitamins and minerals that are essential during pregnancy. To reap most of the nutritional benefits of these fruits, ensure to purchase only the fresh ones and squeeze the juice hygienically by yourself. Avoid pre-packed juices with artificial flavors and preservatives. You could also accentuate the nutritional profile of the juice by combining it with other fruits. However, if you’ve caught a cold after drinking mosambi juice or have experienced any other gastrointestinal disturbances, avoid consuming it and seek prompt medical intervention.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I eat sweet lime in pregnancy?
Although you may consume fresh sweet lime in moderation during any stage of pregnancy (provided you don’t experience any side effects), it is ideal to consume it in the first trimester (3).
2. Who should not drink mosambi juice?
If you have gastric issues, consult your doctor before drinking mosambi juice regularly. Furthermore, sweet lime juice is not advisable for people with chronic kidney disease (2).
- Morton, J; (1987); Sweet Lime.
- Swapan Banerjee and Sulagna Ray Pal; (2021); Inhibitory and complementary therapeutic effect of sweet lime (Citrus limetta) against RNA-viruses.
- Mary Isabel V. Segismundo and Benilda Eleonor V. Comendador; (2015); Prenatal Nutrition Diet Generator Utilizing Modified Genetic Algorithm for Smartphone.
View Profile ›