Are you an absolute lover of Caesar salad but are wondering whether it is okay to have it while you are pregnant or not? Are you worried that caesar salad when pregnant could harm?
If you are still undecided on eating or not eating Caesar salad during pregnancy, read on to know all about it.
Is It Safe To Eat Caesar Salad While Pregnant?
Once you are pregnant, your doctor will advise you to avoid eating raw eggs or any dish that contains it (1). Caesar salad contains raw eggs, so it is also something that should not be a part of your pregnancy diet. Eating raw eggs when you are pregnant increases your risk of contracting the bacteria salmonella, which is a potent cause of food poisoning (2) (3).
Eggless Caesar Salad Recipes To Eat During Pregnancy:Sponsored
While you are pregnant, it is unsafe to eat anything that contains raw egg. However, if you are craving for a plate of Caesar salad, you can always make some at home that does not contain eggs in it. Here are a few recipes that will help you prepare Caesar salad the safe way.
Eggless Caesar Salad Recipe #1
You Will Need:
- 1 cup of grated Parmigiano cheese
- A block of Parmigiano cheese
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 cup of Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt as per taste
- 4 slices of Italian bread
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- Cool water
- Add the grated Parmigiano cheese, lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, anchovies and mustard in the food processor. Churn for about 20 seconds. Add ½ a cup of olive oil even as the food processor is running. Once the oil mixes with the ingredients, run the food processor for another 20 seconds or so.
- Add a little salt to the mix.
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium flame and add two cloves of garlic. Once the garlic turns golden brown, take them out of the pan and discard.
- Add the bread cubes to the pan and add salt as per taste. Sauté the bread cubes until they become crunchy.
- Break the lettuce leaves and swish them in some cool water. Pat them dry. Toss the lettuce leaves in a large salad bowl and add the dressing.
- Now place the salad on a serving plate and top it up with the bread cubes. Grate the Parmigiano cheese. Add it as a garnish on top of the salad.
[ Read: Healthy Drinks During Pregnancy ]
Eggless Caesar Salad Recipe #2
You Will Need:
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped garlic
- 1 mashed anchovy fillet
- A pinch of coarse salt
- 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 3 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 6 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 head of romaine lettuce – tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces
- Black pepper powder
- A few croutons
- Grilled chicken (sliced)
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, anchovy, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor. Churn until smooth.
- While the food processor is still running, keep drizzling in a little olive oil.
- Once the mix becomes completely smooth and creamy, place it in a bowl. Now add about two Tbsp of the Parmesan cheese. Mix it well.
- Place the lettuce leaves in a bowl and now add the dressing over it. Top it with the croutons and toss well.
- You can add the sliced grilled chicken to the salad.
- Place the salad on a plate and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese. Season with pepper as per taste.
[ Read: Healthy Snacks For Pregnant Women ]
Eggless Caesar Salad Recipe #3
You Will Need:
- 1/4thcup of canola oil
- 1/4thcup of olive oil
- 1/4thcup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp of anchovy paste
- ½ Tbsp of finely minced garlic
- ½ Tbsp of black pepper powder
- ½ Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. You can also place the same in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
[ Read: Breakfast Cereals During Pregnancy ]
Eggless Kale Caesar Salad Recipe #4
You Will Need:
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 anchovies finely chopped
- 1/4thTbsp fine sea salt
- 1/4thTbsp Black pepper powder
- A bunch of kale leaves
- 1/4thcup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Keep some cheese handy for the garnish
- Mix the lemon juice, anchovies, garlic and mustard in a bowl. Slowly add the oil and keep stirring. Now add pepper, salt, and grated cheese.
- Next, add the kale leaves and toss the salad well. Garnish with grated cheese.
[ Read: Fiber During Pregnancy ]
Eating readymade Caesar salad during pregnancy is not a good option. Try out these easy variations of Caesar salad to enjoy it safely at home while expecting.
Do try these recipes and tell us your favourite one in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017