- Is it safe to eat calamari during pregnancy?
- Calamari and mercury
- Nutritional values and benefits of calamari
- How to consume calamari during pregnancy?
You’ll do anything for your baby. Your care for them begins even when the little one is inside your womb, and so you make sure to sleep right, walk right, read right and eat right. Even if you have to avoid something or eat something against your own liking, you won’t mind because a wholesome diet is what you aim at. So, does calamari figure in the wholesome diet or should it be avoided? MomJunction answers your question.
Is It Safe To Eat Calamari During Pregnancy?
Consuming about five ounces of calamari every week is considered safe during pregnancy and is beneficial for your developing baby.
Calamari is the Italian name for ‘squid’, which is high in nutritional value. It is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids (1), proteins and other essential nutrients; and is low in sodium and saturated fat content. What about the mercury levels, though?
Calamari And Mercury
Almost all the seafood contain some traces of mercury. Since mercury can have adverse effects on the nervous system of your developing baby (2), you need to stay away from the seafood such as tilefish, swordfish, marlin and king mackerel that contain a high level of mercury.
However, Calamari is one of the safest seafood to be consumed during pregnancy as it is low in mercury content and high in nutrition. However, have it in limited quantities – not more than five ounces a week – to make the most of its goodness.
Nutritional Values And Benefits Of Calamari
Here is the entire list of nutrients you can find in three ounces of cooked calamari serving, and how they will benefit you (3):
[ Read: Seafood During Pregnancy ]
|Nutrients||Amount||% in the recommended daily allowance (RDA)||Benefits|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.389mg||23%|
Nutritional food need not always be insipid. You can make it interesting to eat so that you reap its benefits while relishing the taste.
How To Consume Calamari WhilePregnant?
Here are some guidelines you must follow while consuming calamari when pregnant to obtain the best from this nutritious seafood:
- Avoid eating deep fried calamari. Deep frying reduces its nutritional value as well as adds unhealthy saturated fats, which contribute to excessive weight gain.
- Eat steamed or sautéed calamari so that the nutrients are intact, and it is easy on your digestive system.
- Make calamari at home with fresh vegetables and all the ingredients that can make the dish tasty for you.
- Sauté calamari in green salads to make a delightful snack.
- Thoroughly clean the calamari and cook it well.
- Check the expiry date, freshness of the product, and hygiene of the store before you purchase calamari.
If you are allergic to calamari, then stay away from it during pregnancy. Before you start taking the seafood, make sure to talk to your doctor as he can tell you if you need it in your diet during pregnancy.
[ Read: Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy ]
Calamari is safe to consume during pregnancy when eaten in moderation. Buy from a hygienic place, and cook it thoroughly. Make the dish at home to avoid any bacteria or related side-effects. Look up for some delicious calamari recipes and make it a part of your pregnancy diet.
Have you tried calamari in your pregnancy diet? Do share your experiences in the comments section.
- Is It Safe To Eat Tuna During Pregnancy?
- Nutritious Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy
- Spicy Food During Pregnancy: Trimester-Wise Safety And Side-Effects
Latest posts by shreeja pillai (see all)
- 81 Best Respect Quotes For Girls - July 24, 2019
- 41 Best Whatsapp DP Images For Boys - July 23, 2019
- 17 Interesting Memory Games For Kids - July 23, 2019
- 43 Best Whatsapp DP Images For Girls - July 23, 2019
- 15 Fancy Hair Bands For Girls - July 11, 2019
- 15 Best Hair Clips For Girls - July 3, 2019
- 17 Best Dystopian Novels For Teens - July 3, 2019
- 17 Best Dinosaur Movies For Kids - July 1, 2019
- 13 Best Natural Baby Products To Buy In 2019 - July 1, 2019
- 13 Best Cameras To Buy For Kids In 2019 - July 1, 2019