Pregnancy is one time when we do not complain about eating healthy. It is understandable because we want to give only the best and the most nutritious foods to the baby in the womb. Here comes the question of what to eat and what to avoid. And you might also want to know the benefits that particular food would offer to you and the baby. Fig is one such fruit. Fig fruit and the leaves are used for medicinal purposes but is it safe to eat during pregnancy? MomJunction attempts to clear all your doubts about eating fig during pregnancy.
Is It Safe To Eat Figs During Pregnancy?
You can safely munch on fresh figs or dried figs during pregnancy. As of now there is no scientific report to prove the side effects of eating figs. However, research is yet to ascertain the quantity of fig intake necessary for therapeutic benefits during pregnancy. Hence, doctors advise that you should eat figs only as a fruit and not as a medicine. You can also ask your doctor about how many figs you can safely enjoy eating while expecting. (1)
Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Figs:
Here is a quick look at the nutritional profile of figs per 50 grams (2):
- Calories: 37
- GI: Medium
- Fiber 6%
- Vitamin B6 4%
- Copper 3%
- Manganese 3%
- Potassium 3%
- Pantothenic acid 3%
What Are The Health Benefits Of Eating Figs In Pregnancy?
Figs can work wonders for your health in the following:
1. Helps To Regulate Blood Pressure Levels:
Figs are especially good for heart health. The fruit contains high amounts of potassium and low levels of sodium. The combination helps to lower blood pressure levels. The high levels of polyphenol antioxidants in figs help prevent atherosclerosis.
2. Keeps Cholesterol Levels In Check:
Figs are a good source of omega-3, omega-6 fatty acids, and phytosterol. These healthy compounds help to reduce cholesterol levels. They also help to keep the arteries flexible and healthy. The fiber content in figs flushes out the cholesterol from your body. (4)
3. Protects Vision:
According to a study in the Archives of Ophthalmology, having three or more servings of this healthy fruit per day can decrease your chances of contracting age-related macular degeneration (ARMD).
4. Prevents Breast Cancer:
Scientific reports state that figs contain something like the benzaldehyde that helps shrink tumors. The juice of fig also has potential antibacterial properties. (5)
5. Boosts Digestion:
Fig is a rich source of dietary fiber that that will take care of your hunger pangs for a while without making you feel full. It will also regulate your bowel movement and keep constipation at bay. The prebiotics in figs helps to support the good bacteria that exist in your gut already and aid digestion.
Side effects of eating figs during pregnancy
While eating figs is good for you, you cannot over eat them because it may lead to some side effects, such as:
- Figs could be reactive in people who have pollen allergy (6).
- If you are allergic to any fruits in the mulberry family, such as orange and jackfruit, you are likely to be allergic to fig as well.
- Consuming fig in high amounts could lead to loose stools because of its laxative effect.
Figs can make a nutritious snack during pregnancy. However, as each pregnancy is unique, it is always best to check with your doctor before including figs in your diet.
Did you enjoy eating figs while you were pregnant? Or did your doctor advise you against it? Do share your experiences here with other moms about figs and pregnancy in the comments box below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Guava During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Papaya During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Cranberry Or Cranberry Juice During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016