- What are flaxseeds (alsi)?
- Is it safe to consume flaxseeds during pregnancy?
- What quantity of flaxseed can you have during pregnancy?
- What are the benefits of flaxseed during pregnancy?
- Ways to include flaxseeds in pregnancy diet
- Is flaxseed oil safe during pregnancy?
- Is it safe to take flaxseed oil tablets during pregnancy?
I was 28 weeks pregnant when I stopped eating flax seeds. I used to eat roasted flaxseeds with yogurt almost every day, but when I heard about the negative effects flaxseeds could have on my pregnancy, I stopped eating them. Then I did extensive research, consulted my doctor and sought a few clarifications.
What Are Flaxseeds (Alsi)?
Flaxseeds or linseeds, called alsi in India, are small, tan, brown or golden seeds. They are a great source of dietary fiber, minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and zinc, proteins, and vitamins B6 and E. Flaxseeds are a source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids and lignans. You can consume them as whole, sprouted, ground or in the form of oil (1).
Is It Safe To Consume Flaxseeds During Pregnancy?
It is safe to eat a moderate amount of flaxseeds during pregnancy as large amounts can act like estrogens in the body, causing hormonal disturbances. As there is little research on the effects of flaxseeds during pregnancy, it is best to consult your doctor before using them (2).
What Quantity Of Flaxseed Can You Have During Pregnancy?
You can have about one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds every day during pregnancy. This will meet your daily requirement of 1.4g alpha-linoleic acid (ALA) (3).
What Are The Benefits Of Flaxseed During Pregnancy?
Flaxseeds contain some of the vital nutrients that you require during pregnancy.
1. Essential nutrients aid fetal brain development:
Flaxseeds contain two essential fatty acids – linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acid that play a prominent role in brain development of the unborn baby during early pregnancy (4).
[ Read: Sesame Seeds In Pregnancy ]
2. Relieves pregnancy constipation:
Flaxseeds are laxatives and help keep constipation at bay. Regular consumption of flaxseeds in moderate amounts, along with plenty of water, can ease bowel movements and also prevent hemorrhoids (5). However, it can also be a cause of constipation if taken in excess, and without adequate amounts of liquids.
3. Controls blood sugar levels:
It is common for the blood sugar levels to rise during pregnancy, and flaxseeds can help control them. Also, the risk of Cesarean delivery and high birth weight reduces to a great extent with the use of flaxseed oil (6).
4. Prevents cancers:
Lignans (phytonutrients) present in flaxseeds decrease the chances of breast and ovarian cancers (7).
5. Lowers risk of cardiovascular diseases:
Research findings show that flaxseeds help lower the bad cholesterol levels (LDL) and increase the good cholesterol levels (HDL). They are known to possess blood thinning properties, which reduce the risk of clogging in arteries (8).
In spite of these benefits, flaxseeds should be eaten in moderation, as excess and untimely consumption can be risky for a pregnant woman.
These are some of the side-effects of including flaxseeds in your diet during pregnancy.
- Nausea, diarrhea, and gas due to over-consumption
- Allergic reactions such as swelling of lips, tightness in chest or breathing problems if you are allergic to nuts.
- A sudden increase in blood pressure when you consume unripe or raw flaxseeds.
- Cyanide present in flaxseeds can lead to poisoning when taken in excess amounts (9).
If you are not allergic, and want to add flaxseeds to your everyday diet in limited amounts, then here is how you can go about it.
Ways To Include Flaxseeds In Pregnancy Diet
Avoid raw flaxseeds as they can be toxic. Roast the seeds to destroy the cyanide compounds and consume them fresh. You can also grind the roasted seeds into powder and store in an airtight container, as your body takes more time to digest and absorb whole seeds.
[ Read: Fenugreek During Pregnancy ]
Here are some ways to include the roasted flaxseed powder in your diet:
- Add to smoothies or yogurt
- Mix into wheat dough for making bread, chapattis, paranthas
- Sprinkle over a fresh salad
- Add to oatmeal or any other cereal
- Mix in the batter of dosa, idly, bread and muffins
If you have more queries about flaxseed consumption during pregnancy, read on.
Is Flaxseed Oil Safe During Pregnancy?
Do not take flaxseed oil during pregnancy without your doctor’s consent. Though the oil contains vital fats that a fetus needs, it could create issues as the pregnancy progresses. A study conducted at the Université de Montréal’s Faculty of Pharmacy found out that pregnant women who consumed flaxseeds during pregnancy had about 12% risk of premature birth compared to 3% risk among women who didn’t.
The correlation was especially observed in women who consumed flaxseed oil during second and third trimesters. However, consuming whole or ground seeds does not seem to create this risk (10).
Is It Safe To Take Flaxseed Oil Tablets During Pregnancy?
Flaxseed oil tablets are a source of vegetarian omega-3 fatty acids. Though you can get a healthy dose of omega-3 by adding the flaxseed oil tablets/capsules/supplements to your diet, it is better to take your doctor’s advice first.
As it is with many foods, flaxseeds can be harmful when taken excessively. So, find a way to include them in controlled quantities in your diet. If you have doubts about eating them, talk to your doctor or nutritionist.
[ Read: Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy ]
Did you also have a craving for this superfood during pregnancy? Let us know how you managed to include it in your diet.
- Benefits Of Almonds During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Oranges During Pregnancy?
- Best Reasons To Eat Avocados In Pregnancy
- Amazing Benefits Of Folic Acid During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- Bleeding During Ovulation: Is It Normal And Why Does It Happen? - March 12, 2019
- 13 Best Stretch Marks Removal Creams To Buy In 2019 - February 28, 2019
- Is It Safe To Use Cough Drops During Pregnancy? - February 28, 2019
- Is It Normal To Have Green Poop During Pregnancy? - February 28, 2019
- 8th Week Ultrasound: Baby Development, Abnormalities And More - February 27, 2019
- 10th Week Ultrasound: Baby Development, Abnormalities And More - February 22, 2019
- 4 Best Sleeping Positions After A C-Section Delivery - February 22, 2019
- Is Cervical Mucus An Early Symptom Of Pregnancy? - February 20, 2019
- 42nd Week Pregnancy: Symptoms, Baby Development, Tips, And Body Changes - January 9, 2019
- Urine Color During Pregnancy: Why It Changes And When To See A Doctor - December 28, 2018