Do you like adding onions to your food? Are you wondering whether it is safe to do so while you are lactating? Can onion consumption be harmful for your baby? If these are questions that trouble you, consider reading our post.
If you are worried about eating onions during your breastfeeding phase, then don’t be! Read our post and get all the answers about onion and its health benefits.
Before we look at whether onions are good for you when you are lactating, let’s look at some nutritional facts about onions:
- Onions are flavorful vegetables full of essential nutrients and flavonoids.
- These vegetables are great sources of Vitamin C, Sulphuric compounds, Flavanoids and Phytochemical.
- Onions contain an essential anti-oxidant element named Quercetin, which helps prevent cancer.
- Onions contain essential phytochemicals like disulfides, trisulfides, cepaene, and vinyldithiins. These elements help maintain good health and have strong antimicrobial properties.
- The vital antioxidants and flavonoids present in onions, help improve heart health, reduce inflammation and decrease the risks of cancer.
- Onions are extremely low in calories, cholesterol, sodium and unwanted fats.
- Onions contain dietary fibers and folic acid, which helps in cell regeneration.
- Onions are good sources of Vitamin B-complex like pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, folate, and thiamine.
- Onions are rich sources of chromium, which is a trace mineral that helps to regulate the insulin levels in the blood and minimizes Gestational diabetes (1).
Health Benefits Of Onion While Breastfeeding:
Onion is a well-known ingredient and features in many recipes. For lactating moms, onion offers some health benefits, which include:
- Boosts Immunity:
The high Vitamin C content of onions boosts the immunity system for lactating moms.
- Increases Good Cholesterol:
Onions help boost HDL cholesterol levels in lactating mothers, and help you maintain a healthy lipid profile.
- Detoxifies Blood Cells:
Essential amino acids like methionine and cystine, help detoxify the blood cells and maintain a healthy body.
- Cures Gestational Diabetes:
Many pregnant women have the tendency to suffer from diabetes during pregnancy. Sometimes gestational diabetes continues in the breastfeeding phase too. Onions possess anti-diabetic properties, which help reduce diabetic issues.
The anti-bacterial and antimicrobial property of onion helps protect you from microbial or bacterial infections.
Onions contain a special element Quercetin. It is an effective anti-inflammatory agent and helps relieve asthma of shortness of breathing in lactating moms.
The fibers present in onions help digestion and reduce the risk of diarrhea or gastric ulcers in lactating mothers.
- Regulates Blood Sugar Level:
Onions contain chromium present, which helps regulate the blood sugar level of lactating mothers (2).
[ Read: Best Fruits To Eat While Breastfeeding ]
Side Effects Of Eating Onions While Breastfeeding:
Onions have many health benefits, but just like other foods, an excess can lead to nasty side effects, some of which include:
- Skin Hives with intense itching.
- Eczema- a dry skin problem
- Eye infection
- Runny nose
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Breathing Problems
- A feeling of bloating in the abdomen (3)
[ Read: Eating Nuts While Breastfeeding ]
Can You Eat Onions While Breastfeeding?
Let’s answer the main question now.
- Onions are rich sources of essential nutrients and antioxidants. But excessive consumption of onion can elevate tendency of heartburn in lactating mothers.
- If you are allergic to certain food elements, it is better to consult your dietician and then include such vegetables in your diet. People intolerant to onions may suffer from red and itchy eyes.
- Carbohydrates present in onions can induce problems of bloating and the lactating mother can suffer from serious health issues (4).
[ Read: Best Foods For Breastfeeding Moms ]
Did you consume onions while lactating? Did your consumption cause any discomfort or trigger any of the symptoms we mention above? Tell us about your experiences about or post on onions and breastfeeding here. Leave a comment below!
- Is Green Tea Safe While Breastfeeding?
- 5 Useful Tips To Make Fasting Easier While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Eat Spicy Food During Breastfeeding?
- 5 Serious Side Effects Of Caffeine While Breast-Feeding
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?