Is your child suffering from a biotin deficiency? Are you thinking of giving him biotin supplements, but wondering whether is biotin safe for kids or not? Well, if you are looking for answers to these questions, then you have come to the right place! Read our post and learn all about biotin for kids and how much biotin is safe for a child.
What Is Biotin?
Biotin also called vitamin B7, or Vitamin H is a water-soluble coenzyme. It is a precursor to enzymes; it helps to break down fats, carbohydrates and protein into energy in the body. Biotin has a critical role in the development of children and adolescents. It maintains the health of the cells, skin, metabolism and digestive tract.
[ Read: Benefits Of Vitamin B For Kids ]
Recommended Dietary Allowance Of Biotin For Kids:
The recommended dietary allowance of biotin varies according to age, sex, and physical condition. The Institute of Medicine has established a recommended dietary intake biotin. Kids need to obtain the specified amount of biotin from their diet, whether they take supplements or not. The RDA for biotin for children is:
- 0-6 months of age- 5 mcg of biotin/day
- 7-12 months of age- 6 mcg of biotin/day
- 1-3 years of age- 8 mcg of biotin/day
- 4-8 years of age 12 mcg of biotin/day
- 9-13 years of age 20 mcg of biotin/day
- 14-18 years of age 25 mcg of biotin/day
Biotin deficiency is a rare case, but can cause serious adverse effects. Some children are even born with a congenital deficiency or the biotinidase deficiency. Biotin deficiency can lead to:
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
- Dry eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Cradle crap
[ Read: Vitamin Chart For Kids ]
Benefits Of Biotin For Children:
1. Corrects Alopecia:
Biotin supplements can reverse a medical condition called alopecia in both children and adults. Alopecia involves uncontrolled loss of hair. To treat alopecia, you must give biotin along with zinc and clobetasol, a topical medicated cream. It will stop hair loss and will stimulate the hair growth in the affected area.
2. Strengthens Nails:
As we mention above, Biotin deficiency can cause brittle nails, which are not only painful but also leave your tot susceptible to fungi and infectious bacteria. Biotin also strengthens your child’s fingers and toenails. It helps maintain the structural integrity and the overall health of your child’s finger and toenails. It will also help your body produce the protein that contributes to the structure of the nails.
High sources of biotin like the liver, carrots, peanut and egg yolk may not appeal to children. And some may be allergic to these foods. In such cases, biotin supplements will come handy. Biotin supplements help treat health conditions like diabetes, brittle nails, hepatitis, hair loss, and depression. These supplements are safe for most individuals, especially children. But before going for biotin supplements, we would advise you to use biotin found in foods.
Safe Biotin Dosage For Children:
Biotin is a safe and well-tolerated nutrient. Even at high levels, your child can tolerate biotin easily. There are no reports or effects of consuming biotin at higher doses. So what is the safe Biotin dosage for children? We cannot exactly tell you the maximum safe doses of biotin. Since biotin is a water-soluble vitamin, it removes the excess from the body via urine. But studies indicate that children can take doses as high as 2000 micrograms without any fear of side effects.
[ Read: Skin Rashes In Children ]
Side Effects Of Consuming Too Much Biotin In Children:
Yes, there are little-known side effects of biotin, but it is also important to note that kids react differently to vitamins. The reported side effects of biotin are allergic in nature. Sensitive children will experience side effects like:
- Skin eruptions
- Pleuropericardial effusion
We hope you find our article useful. Remember, don’t give your child biotin supplements before consulting his pediatrician.
Did you give biotin supplements to your child? How many doses of biotin did your doctor prescribe to him? Tell us in the comment section below.
- Vitamin Chart For Kids
- Benefits Of Fish Oil For Kids
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Eggs For Your Kids
- A Healthy Food Guide Pyramid For Kids And Teens
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Boy and Girl Names That Mean Angel - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016