Do you wonder how you will shed all that extra pregnancy weight? How soon can you start exercising after your delivery? When is it safe to hit the gym? If these questions seem weigh you down, don’t fret! Get the answers here.
Exercise is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle, as most scientific studies will tell you. Pregnancy and childbirth can be quite exhausting, and all the extra weight you seem to gain during pregnancy can be tough to shed. Is it safe to hit the gym after delivery? Does it have anything to do with a normal or a cesarean delivery? Read on and find out more about gym after pregnancy.
Is It Safe To Go To The Gym After Delivery?
As long as an exercise routine is not too strenuous or testing, it is perfectly safe to exercise after delivery. If you experience a normal childbirth, you can begin exercising a few weeks after delivery.
Before you take our word for it, consult your doctor. He/she will be the best person to tell you when you should begin exercising. Ask your doctor to recommend you some exercises. Going to the gym after pregnancy has many health benefits.
Benefits Of Postnatal Exercises:
Exercising after you have given birth can seem like a daunting task, but it has many positive effects on your health. Some of the health benefits of postnatal exercise include:
- It helps you shed extra weight gained during pregnancy and promotes overall weight loss.
- It restores muscle strength and firms up your body.
- It boosts cardiovascular fitness and keeps the heart healthy.
- It boosts mood and prevents postpartum depression.
- Exercise post delivery helps tone your tummy and burn accumulated fat around the area.
- It can help reduce fatigue, as incredible as an ‘exercise’ to curb fatigue sounds, it is true. Exercise helps raise your energy levels naturally. (1)
[ Read: Postnatal Exercises For New Moms ]
Tips For Gym After Giving Birth:
While gym after giving birth has many health benefits, you should remember some essential points to minimize possible health risks.
- Wait for at least six weeks after delivery before starting any physical activity. However, the time frame can vary from every woman. Women who are fit post pregnancy or ones who don’t get a C-section can resume exercising earlier. Again, the golden rule is to speak to your doctor first.
- If you have undergone a cesarean delivery or a complicated delivery procedure, you may have to wait longer before you begin going to the gym.
- A cesarean section delivery leads to a flabby stomach for first time moms. The skin may sag and develop loose folds. Women with a flabby stomach should consider performing some low-impact cardio routines or aerobics. Alternatively, such women can also consider taking a brisk walk or a jog.
- If you do begin exercising, make sure you don’t lift anything heavier than your baby.
- Avoid housework that involves reaching high places and picking up heavy stuff.
- Perform Kegel exercises to strengthen your pelvic muscles and tone your thighs. These exercises help tone and firm your lower body, buttocks and glutes.
So, follow these simple tips before you hit the gym after c section. These routines will not only help you stay fit and active, but will also help you shed all that extra weight you gain during pregnancy.
Did you find this post helpful? Do you know of any exercise routines tailor-made for moms? How did you get rid of all that extra pregnancy weight? Tell us in the comments box below. Our readers would love to hear from you.
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Postnatal Exercises
- 3 Yoga Workout Moves For Mom And Baby
- When Can You Start Exercising After Your C-Section?
- Yoga After A C – Section
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015