Do you want to get rid of the common cold without seeking any allopathic medication when you are expecting? Do you want to boost your immunity against various infections during your pregnancy? If you said yes, having Echinacea can help you maintain good health during the pregnancy. What is Echinacea? Is echinacea safe during pregnancy? How can you benefit from it? Are there any side-effects of having Echinacea during pregnancy? Read our post and get your answers here.
What Is Echinacea?
Echinacea, scientifically popular as Echinacea purpura, is a medicinal herb native to North America. Roots, as well as plant parts above the ground of the herb, comprise substances that help boost your immunity and help you combat various infections. Echinacea helps maintain your health and protects you from various infections when you are expecting. (1)
[ Read: Herbs To Avoid During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Echinacea During Pregnancy:
1. Prevents Infections:Sponsored
Echinacea stimulates the formation of T-cells. Also, the herb enhances the ability of your white blood cells (WBCs) to ward off pathogenic infections while expecting. Echinacea contains ‘echinacein’, a medicinal compound, which prevents germs from penetrating healthy cells so that bacteria and viruses don’t affect you or your baby during pregnancy.
2. Quickens Your Recovery:
If you are already down or sick due to an ailment, having Echinacea helps minimize your recovery time and speeds up your recovery.
3. Acts As A Topical Disinfectant:
Echinacea possesses analgesic properties, and it acts as a powerful topical disinfectant. Echinacea safeguards your healthy body cells from viral and bacterial invasions, even if you use it topically when expecting. Echinacea prevents infection through cuts, wounds and scratches. Also, if you are already suffering from a bacterial or viral infection, using Echinacea helps speed up the healing process effectively.
4. Treats Many Ailments:
Echinacea treats a large number of ailments and infections substantially. Here is a list of infections and ailments that Echinacea cures.
- Urinary tract infections
- Hay fever
- Sore throat pain
- Upper respiratory infections
- Enlarged lymph glands
- Ear infections
- Canker sores
- Vaginal yeast infections
[ Read: Symptoms Of Canker Sores In Pregnancy ]
5. Treats Eczema And Psoriasis:
Applying Echinacea on the breakouts of psoriasis and eczema can help reduce the symptoms of these infections when you are expecting. (2)
6. Minimizes Pain And Treats Hemorrhoids:
Echinacea reduces pain and promotes healing in slow-healing wounds resulting due to infections. You can apply the herb topically. Also, it is an effective cure for treating hemorrhoids during the pregnancy.
7. Heals Sunburn Effectively:
Echinacea protects you from sunburn and heals the sun-burnt when you apply it topically during pregnancy.
8. Resolves Recurrent Infections:
Echinacea is particularly beneficial to resolve recurring ailments and infections, such as ear infections. With its immune-boosting compounds, it boosts your immunity substantially and does not lead to the development of infections. (3)
[ Read: Safe Herbal Teas During Pregnancy ]
Side-Effects Of Echinacea During Pregnancy:
Despite number health benefits during pregnancy, there are certain side-effects of the herb that you should be aware of though they are not major. Here are some side-effects that you should consider when using Echinacea in pregnancy.
- If you are allergic to plants such as marigold and daisies, you may also suffer from allergic reactions of Echinacea, like skin rashes.
- You can also experience minor gastrointestinal issues, such as nausea, abdominal pain, and lightheadedness.(4)
Small doses of Echinacea are safe in pregnancy, but you need to follow them for up to seven days.
To prevent side-effects of Echinacea when pregnant, consult your doctor when you want to use the herb. Follow the doctor’s recommended use of Echinacea to ensure you and your baby’s good health.
Did you use Echinacea any time when you were expecting? How did you benefit from it? Share you experience with other moms here.
- Listeriosis During Pregnancy – Diagnosis, Treatments & Prevention
- What Is Endometriosis & How Does It Effect Pregnancy?
- 5 Symptoms Of E-Coli Infection & 3 Simple Tips To Cure It During Pregnancy
- Lupus And Pregnancy – 7 Serious Risks And Complications
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016