- What is Xanax?
- Is Xanax safe to take during pregnancy?
- How can Xanax affect your pregnancy?
- When to talk to your doctor?
- What are the alternatives to Xanax?
- How to manage Xanax withdrawal?
- How are anxiety and pregnancy correlated?
Some medicines are safe to take during pregnancy, but some need to be avoided. So, in which category does Xanax (Alprazolam) fall? MomJunction tells you if it is safe to use Xanax while pregnant, how it can affect you and what are the alternatives for the drug.
What Is Xanax?
Xanax is the brand name for alprazolam, which is a benzodiazepine drug approved by the FDA. It is used for treating anxiety disorders as benzodiazepine helps in calming the central nervous system (1). The drug helps in treating panic disorders, managing the anxiety caused by depression and offers short-term relief from anxiety symptoms.
Anxiety is a common problem during pregnancy but do doctors prescribe Xanax?
Is Xanax Safe During Pregnancy?
Usually, Xanax is not recommended during pregnancy because it can have an adverse effect on your fetus. It is a pregnancy category D drug, which means that Xanax is known to have adverse reactions in humans.
Xanax reaches the fetus through the bloodstream and makes the baby addicted to this drug. Not just that, the drug can harm you in each stage of pregnancy.
How Can Xanax Affect Your Pregnancy?
Let’s see how Xanax can affect you in each trimester:
During the first trimester
Taking Xanax during the first trimester can lead to birth defects, such as cleft palate and cleft lip, in your baby (2). It could affect the baby’s looks, body functions, and development. Xanax is assumed to carry an increased risk of congenital abnormalities when administered during the first trimester.
During the second and third trimesters
Taking Xanax during the second and third trimester can lead to:
[ Read: Stress During Pregnancy ]
1. Withdrawal syndrome lasting for several weeks or months (3):
- Increased heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
- Increased body temperature
- Muscle cramps
- Weight loss
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and smell
- Mood changes
Withdrawal symptoms in babies include: (4)
- Breathing difficulty
- Trouble feeding
- Skin problems
- Poor weight gain
- Stuffy nose
- Stiffness of arms and legs
- Twitching and trembling
2. Floppy infant syndrome effects can last two to three weeks after the birth of the child. The baby will have:
- weak muscles
- poor control over their head, arms and legs, giving your baby a doll-like appearance (5).
- a low Apgar score (a measure of the physical condition of your baby). Low Apgar score can lead to difficulty in breathing and variation in heart rates and body temperature.
If you have been on Xanax medication when you got pregnant, then ask your doctor about how and when you should stop taking the drug.
[ Read: Medication To Avoid During Pregnancy ]
When To Talk To Your Doctor?
When you meet your doctor, talk to him about managing your condition during pregnancy. Ask questions such as:
- How safely can I stop using Xanax?
- How long before getting pregnant should I stop taking Xanax?
- Is it safe to take Xanax while breastfeeding?
- What are the other ways to help relieve my anxiety during pregnancy?
Based on your condition, the doctor will guide you on safer alternatives to Xanax during pregnancy.
What Are The Alternatives To Xanax?
Some of the safer treatments you can opt for anxiety during pregnancy are:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs): They help relieve anxiety and are safe to use during pregnancy. The SSRIs include citalopram (Celexa) and fluoxetine (Prozac) (6).
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): It helps relieve panic disorder or anxiety during pregnancy. This is a kind of talk therapy where you interact with a therapist (7).
Other suitable options are:
- Siddha medicine
- Diet changes
- Massage therapy
- Natural supplements and herbal remedies (probiotics, L-theanine – an amino acid safe to use during pregnancy)
Make sure to consult your doctor before going for any alternative remedies for anxiety. Also, you need to be prepared to face Xanax withdrawal symptoms.
How To Manage Xanax Withdrawal?
The longer you have been using this drug, the tougher it is for you to get back to normalcy. Here are some simple tips that can help you go through the situation:
- Talk to your partner. Share your fears and feelings.
- Join online groups where you can share your experience and seek support from similar people.
- Keep yourself busy throughout the day.
- Follow fitness regimes like yoga and meditation.
- Learn to stay happy.
In spite of withdrawal issues, you need to stop taking Xanax. But that does not mean that you should let anxiety creep back into your life during pregnancy because such negative emotions have long-term effects on your baby.
[ Read: Antacid During Pregnancy ]
How Are Anxiety And Pregnancy Correlated?
If anxiety remains untreated, it can prevent you from getting good prenatal care. You may miss your OB visits, eat poorly, or get into habits such as smoking and drinking. This can pose a potential risk to your pregnancy, such as (8), (9):
- Premature delivery
- Low birth weight
- Impact on central nervous system of the child
- Inhibited cognitive function in infants
- Lack of concentration
You cannot allow anxiety to seep into your pregnancy. But at the same time cannot take high-risk drugs such as Xanax. Make a conscious effort to come out of your negative emotions. Try non-invasive methods such as yoga and meditation. Seek the support of your family and close friends. Let your partner know what you are going through because the well-being of your baby depends on your well-being.
Do share your thoughts in the comment section below.
- Antibiotics Declared Safe At All Stages Of Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Take Painkillers During Your Pregnancy?
- Headache During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Here Is A Sample Diet Chart For Pregnant Women
Latest posts by shreeja pillai (see all)
- 15 Best nursing pads to buy in 2019 - August 29, 2019
- 9 Best Nursing Pajamas To Buy in 2019 - August 28, 2019
- 200 Most Common Surnames Or Last Names In Germany - August 26, 2019
- 15 Best Drum Sets For Kids To Buy In 2019 - August 20, 2019
- 17 Best Hair Dryers For Girls To Buy In 2019 - August 7, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Winter Hats To Buy In 2019 - August 6, 2019
- 15 Best Guitars To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 15 Best Water Tables To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 11 Simple Tips To Improve Your Child's Handwriting - July 31, 2019
- 21 Best Sports Shoes To Buy For Kids In 2019 - July 26, 2019