Obesity and weight gain definitely remain the main concern among experts and the general public alike. Our dependency on processed foods only adds to the problem. The increase in obesity risk has led to the introduction of diet pills that supposedly help you lose weight and get back in shape.
But are these diet pills safe for use during pregnancy? Do they pose any health risks to you and your baby? Keep reading to find out.
Is It Safe To Take Diet Pills During Pregnancy?
To put it simply, diet pills are not safe for use during pregnancy, and even if you’re attempting to get pregnant. Pregnancy does come associated with weight gain, and gaining around 35 pounds (depending on your starting weight) is okay. Your body is basically gaining weight to help the baby grow and survive in the best environment, and you’ll lose all the extra weight soon after you give birth.
However, attempting to lose weight during pregnancy- be it through taking diet pills or simply by dieting, is not a good idea. Many diet pills tend to contain stimulants, which work by increasing the heart rate and thereby burning more calories, which could not be safe when it comes to the baby’s health.
What’s more, the Food and Drug Administration also does not approve of the use of diet pills.
Why Is Weight Gain Important During Pregnancy?
You may not realize it, but by gaining weight during pregnancy, you’re actually doing good for your baby. If you do not naturally put on weight during this period, you could actually be inhibiting the proper growth and development of your baby.
To make sure you have a healthy weight gain during pregnancy, increase your caloric intake as per your physician’s advice. Include more whole grain and fiber rich foods in your diet, and increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables. You may also try including lean meats to your diet to satisfy your protein requirements.
The Side Effects Of Diet Pills During Pregnancy:
Taking diet pills while pregnant could be linked to several health risks and complications during pregnancy.
- Women who consumed slimming pills during pregnancy were more likely to give birth to homosexual children, since the compounds present in these medications tend to influence sexual orientation. (1)
- It has also been found that the consumption of diet pills could raise blood pressure levels noticeably. When consumed during pregnancy, this rise in blood pressure may impact the flow of blood to the placenta negatively, which basically tends to reduce the amount of nutrients your growing baby receives.
- The consumption of diet pills when pregnant has also been linked to lower birth weight.
- Some reports also claim that diet pills, when consumed during pregnancy, could increase the heart rate to unsafe levels.
- Certain diet pills may have caffeine, which can cross the placental barrier and reach your baby, possibly impacting its health negatively.
- Some other diet pills also contain herbs, which could be dangerous if used during pregnancy.
- Certain herbs and weight loss supplements may also cause miscarriage, or may significantly increase your risk of having a premature delivery.
[ Read: How To Lose Weight During Pregnancy ]
The American Pregnancy Association recommends pregnant women to avoid the use of diet pills at all costs. It is also important to note that no diet pill has, so far, received a clean chit for its safety- and by consuming it during your pregnancy period, you could be risking consuming a product that has no safety claims whatsoever.
We hope this article helped you understand why consuming diet pills during pregnancy could be a bad idea. Do you have a story to share? Let us know in the comments box below – we’d love to hear from you.
- Is It Safe To Run/Jog During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Swim During Pregnancy?
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Lifting Weights During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Travel By Bus During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015