Are you pregnant and want to make sure you take care of your health the right way? Have you heard about glucosamine and do you want to know what it is and whether taking glucosamine while pregnant is safe? If you are wondering what glucosamine is, apart from a difficultly spelled word, you might want to read our post? Here we look at glucosamine and whether you should consume it during gestation.
What Is Glucosamine?
Glucosamine is a substance that occurs in the fluids around your joints. It plays a major role and helps build cartilage. Glucosamine is a popular supplement for people who suffer from arthritis. In the US, glucosamine is one of the most common supplements that is non-mineral and non-vitamin and is deemed safe for adults. The supplement helps people overcome joint pain and difficulty in joint movement.
Glucosamine, especially glucosamine sulfate, occurs in the shells of shellfish. Manufacturers harvest it and add it to the dietary supplements. Sometimes, it is synthesized in laboratories and not taken directly from the shell of shellfish.
Glucosamine is available in different forms. Some of the most common forms you can find it in are as follows:
- Glucosamine sulfate
- Glucosamine hydrochloride
Though all three forms contain glucosamine, their concentration may vary and can have a possible impact on their effect .
[ Read: Can You Take Biotin While Pregnant ]
Is It Safe To Take Glucosamine While Pregnant?
As no conclusive research is available yet, it is highly recommended that you do not take any glucosamine supplements while you are pregnant or even nursing your newborn. A few other instances where glucosamine supplements may react include:
- Asthma: If you have asthma, taking glucosamine supplement may trigger an attack, even though it is not yet medically proven. While it remains unclear whether taking glucosamine causes the attack, it is safe to avoid its use if you are aware of an asthmatic condition.
- High Cholesterol Levels: Some research studies state that taking glucosamine supplements may actually increase your cholesterol levels, especially if you have a history of high cholesterol levels.
- High Blood Pressure: Glucosamine supplements can increase your insulin levels and result in a spike in your blood pressure.
- Diabetes: Glucosamine may also interfere with your blood sugar levels especially if you have diabetes.
- Shellfish Allergy: If you are allergic to shellfish, it is best to avoid taking glucosamine as it can cause further allergic reactions.
As anything you eat or do when you are pregnant, make sure you speak to your doctor first before taking glucosamine in any form while you are pregnant.
[ Read: Benefits Of Folic Acid During Pregnancy ]
Benefits Of Glucosamine While Pregnant?
Glucosamine has many benefits when it comes to treating your joint pain. Most women suffer from body ache and other joint pains when they are pregnant, and the supplement helps provide relief. The supplements containing glucosamine also help with any inflammatory conditions in the bowel, which can be a very difficult condition especially when you are pregnant. Glucosamine helps ease the discomfort of rheumatoid arthritis and glaucoma. However, there is not too much evidence about the benefits of glucosamine in conditions other than treating joint pain. Make sure you speak to your doctor to know the validity of such claims .
[ Read: List Of Safe Antibiotics In Pregnancy ]
What Are The Side Effects Of Using Glucosamine?
Not much research has been done on the side effects of glucosamine, and there is not enough data to support any claims. No known cases of side effects have been reported in the medical journals yet, so it is important you speak to your doctor to know about any harmful effects. At the moment, ongoing trials and research help assess possible risk factors with the use of glucosamine. To avoid any health issue, it is advisable to use glucosamine while you are pregnant unless your doctor has advised you to do so.
Did your doctor ask you to stay away from glucosamine during pregnancy? Tell us in the section below. Leave a comment.
- Is It Safe To Take Hydrocodone During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Ambien During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use Over The Counter (OTC) Medications During Pregnancy?
- Can You Take St John’s Wort During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016