Are you a fitness freak and dread the weight gain during pregnancy? Are you planning to try a few jumping exercises to stay fit while expecting? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a must!
Most of the doctors advise pregnant women mothers to refrain from practicing jumping exercises like jumping ropes or sacks. Do you know that jumping exercises increase the risk of health complications during pregnancy? The frequency of jumping or bouncing loosens the ligaments and increases the risk of injury and miscarriage. Check out the following post, to get a vivid idea of the risks associated with prenatal jumping exercises!
Safe Exercises For Pregnant Women:
There are some cardio, aerobic and strength training exercises that women can safely perform while expecting. Some of them are:
- Cycling (on a stationary bike)
- Light Weight training
- Low-impact aerobic exercise
- Prenatal Yoga
- Light stretching exercises (1)
How Are Light Exercises Beneficial For Pregnant Woman?
There are different types of prenatal exercises like stretching, walking, swimming or yoga. You can go ahead and choose a fitness regimen during your pregnancy that suits you. Here is a list of the benefits of practicing such light exercises during pregnancy:
- Regulates weight gain
- Boosts your mood and energy level
- Improves the blood circulation
- Promotes muscle tone, strength, and endurance
- Helps reduce backaches, constipation, bloating, and swelling
- Improves the quality of sleep (2)
[ Read: Exercises For Back Pain During Pregnancy ]
Harmful Effects Of Jumping During Pregnancy:
Is it safe to jump rope while pregnant? Well, there are several harmful health effects of practicing jumping exercises while expecting your baby. Some of them are the following:
- Increases The Risk Of Ligament Injury: During the delicate phase of pregnancy, a woman’s body produces and releases the Relaxin hormone. The hormone loosens the ligaments in the pelvic region. As the ligaments soften, they become more prone to injuries. If a pregnant woman takes up a strenuous workout like jumping exercises, she is likely to injure or even fracture her ligaments and joints.
- Causes Preterm Labor: The uterus of a pregnant woman grows large during pregnancy and exerts enormous pressure on the cervix. Jumping can cause frictional impact between the uterus and cervix and lead to preterm labor.
- Increases The Risk of Miscarriage: During pregnancy, the center of gravity shifts due to the growing baby bump and you are at a greater risk of losing your balance and falling or even suffering a miscarriage.
- Causes Vaginal Bleeding: Jumping ropes involves a jarring movement. It could sometimes cause vaginal bleeding and premature contractions in pregnant women.
Tips For Exercising Safely During Pregnancy:
You can follow a few safety tips to exercise right and enjoy a healthy pregnancy. There are certain precautionary measures you can take to reduce the risk of accidental injury or miscarriage during pregnancy. Go ahead and check them out!
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes, to perform the exercises smoothly.
- Choose the right kind of exercising shoes, to increase your flexibility and grip.
- Practice exercises on a flat surface to prevent injury or sudden fall.
- Drink a lot of water and fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Seek medical guidance from your health practitioner, before trying new exercises.
[ Read: Exercises to Avoid During Pregnancy ]
If you had been a regular at the gym or sports club before, you could continue to follow a light aerobic and prenatal exercising regime while expecting. Different forms of exercises can form a vital part of a healthy lifestyle during your pregnancy.
Did you practice light exercises like jumping during pregnancy? Did your doctor suggest you to stay away from jumping exercises? Share your fitness tips with other pregnant mothers here!
- Is Skiing Safe During Pregnancy?
- Is Skating Safe During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Swim During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Go Bowling During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017