- What does sugarcane contain?
- Is sugarcane safe during pregnancy?
- How to make sugarcane juice?
- Benefits of sugarcane juice during pregnancy
- Precautions with sugarcane juice during pregnancy
As an expectant mother, are you always watchful of your eating habits? Are you careful and picky about what you choose to eat every day? If yes, then you must think about including sugarcane juice in your diet regularly. The juice is not only nutritious but also perfect to satiate your sweet cravings during pregnancy.
What Does Sugarcane Contain?
Sugarcane is a variety of tall perennial grasses native to the tropical areas of New Guinea and Southeast Asia, usually in places where warm temperature prevails (1). It is primarily used to produce sugar. However, its processing provides some valuable by-products such as molasses and bagasse too.
Sugarcane is rich in essential nutrients such as iron, magnesium, calcium, and vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and C. Also, it is a rich source of soluble fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients that make sugarcane juice a nutritious drink, provided you are making it fresh and in hygienic conditions (2).
Is Sugarcane Safe During Pregnancy?
Yes, sugarcane juice is safe to consume during pregnancy. However, consult your doctor if you have gestational diabetes, as the risks are usually associated with your glucose tolerance levels (3).
If you are going for the packaged juice, do a quick quality check by reading the label for ingredients, nutritive content, and shelf life. In any case, it is always better to consume freshly made sugarcane juice during pregnancy. You can also make it at home if you have a juicing machine.
How To Make Sugarcane Juice?
It is pretty easy to make fresh, flavorsome, and wholesome sugarcane juice in just three steps.
- Squeeze the stalks of sugarcane through a juicing machine
- Strain the juice in a glass
- Now comes the best part: add your favorite ingredients such as lemon juice, mint leaves, black salt, or ginger to enhance its taste.
This sweet and tasty glass of sugarcane juice would be perfect to meet your pregnancy cravings. Besides satisfying your sweet cravings, sugarcane also offers plenty of benefits in pregnancy.
Benefits Of Sugarcane Juice During Pregnancy:
As an expectant mother, you can relish sugarcane juice for the following reasons.
- Strengthens immune system: Antioxidants in sugarcane juice strengthen the immune system and help in fighting against infections, flu, and cold during pregnancy. It also maintains the bilirubin levels and protects the liver. A strong immune system is not only good for the mother but also safeguards the health of the baby inside the womb (4)
- Wards off morning sickness: Morning sickness is a common symptom experienced by pregnant women. However, drinking sugarcane juice with a bit of ginger will help reduce this concern (6).
- Boosts energy: If you are feeling weak and need a quick supply of energy, a glass of sugarcane juice could help. The sucrose content in sugarcane juice helps to heighten the energy levels, re-hydrates the body, quenches thirst and will also restock the lost levels of sugar (7) (8).
- Fights urinary tract infections: Urinary tract infections are common during the pregnancy phase. Sugarcane juice, being a natural antioxidant and a good source of minerals, helps you fight UTI. Its consumption is also helpful to treat other diseases such as kidney stones and jaundice (9).
- Promotes fetal health: Sugarcane juice is a rich source of protein, which is good for both the baby’s and mother’s health. Also, it contains folic acid or vitamin B9 which is known to reduce the risks related to congenital disabilities including spina bifida that can cause learning difficulties, bowel problems, and movement issues as well (10) (11).
- Keeps weight in check: Excessive weight gain is a common concern for pregnant women. The polyphenol compounds present in sugarcane juice help in boosting the metabolism and maintaining your weight (2).
- Cures skin concerns: Acne can become worse during pregnancy, due to the increased estrogen levels. Glycolic acid, commonly found in sugar cane, is known effective to treat acne. So, drinking a glass of sugarcane juice will help you get rid of acne issues (12).
- Keeps dental issues at bay: Another common concern during pregnancy is bad breath and tooth decay. Drinking sugarcane juice regularly can prevent dental issues as it contains magnesium and calcium in good amounts (2).
- Helps to relieve constipation: A lot of pregnant women suffer from indigestion and constipation. Including sugarcane juice in your routine diet can help combat the issue. Also, you can get rid of stomach infections (13).
Although drinking sugarcane juice when you are pregnant can be beneficial for your health, it does not mean you can have it more than you should.
Precautions With Sugarcane Juice During Pregnancy
Sugarcane juice is good for pregnancy. However, it should be consumed in limited quantities. In case you have diabetes, it is better to seek advice from your doctor before consumption. Last but not least, make sure your glass of juice is prepared fresh and in hygienic conditions. Otherwise, you may have to deal with unpleasant consequences such as food poisoning.
Did you drink sugarcane during pregnancy? What kind of benefits did you experience? Do let our readers know in the comment section.
2. D McCaffrey; Raw Sugarcane Juice Nature’s Perfect Wonder Food; CDC (2011)
3. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus; American Diabetes Association Diabetes Care (2003)
4. U S Kadam, S B Ghosh, et al.; Antioxidant activity in sugarcane juice and its protective role against radiation induced DNA damage; Food Chemistry (2007)
5. Placek C.; A test of four evolutionary hypotheses of pregnancy food cravings: evidence for the social bargaining model; The Royal Society
6. M Wang; More Than Acupuncture: Questions and Answers about Chinese Medicine; Page 232
7. M S Rahman; Chewing Sugarcane Production: An Approach to Combat Malnutrition and Poverty; Bangladesh Sugarcrop Research Institute
8. Sucrose; NIH
9. M F Abdallah, R Krska, et al.; Mycotoxin Contamination in Sugarcane Grass and Juice: First Report on Detection of Multiple Mycotoxins and Exposure Assessment for Aflatoxins B1 and G1 in Humans; Toxins (2016)
10. Why do I need folic acid in pregnancy; NHS
11. Anna; ZHÈ JIĀNG – SUGARCANE JUICE; Moveable Feasts
12. B Stokes; Is Glycolic Acid Safe And Effective In The Treatment Of Mild to Moderate Acne?; Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (2013)
13. M Manohar; Ayurveda For All: Effective ayurvedic self cure for common and chronic ailments; Page 65
Latest posts by Shikha Thakur (see all)
- Sugarcane Juice During Pregnancy: 9 Health Benefits, And Precautions To Take - April 4, 2015
- Spinach During Pregnancy: Benefits, Side-Effects And Recipes To Try - January 23, 2015
- Papaya During Pregnancy: Is It Safe To Eat? - April 14, 2014