- Is it safe to eat jackfruit during pregnancy?
- Is jackfruit safe during early pregnancy?
- What are the benefits of eating jackfruit during pregnancy?
- Nutritional facts of jackfruit
- Possible side effects of jackfruit during pregnancy
- Does jackfruit lead to miscarriage?
- How to select and store jackfruit?
- Ways to consume jackfruit during pregnancy
- Pregnancy-friendly jackfruit recipes
Some love the sweetness and the succulent texture of the fruit. Others can’t stand the strong, fruity smell that it emanates.
Jackfruit is one of the many tropical fruits you can enjoy if you are a fan. And it can also make an excellent snack to deal with the hunger pangs during pregnancy. But is it safe to eat jackfruit during pregnancy?
According to most gynecologists, pregnant women can eat almost all fruits, including jackfruit, in moderate proportions. Still, several pregnant women hesitate before reaching out for a tasty jackfruit pod, owing to the myths surrounding its consumption.
Is It Safe To Eat Jackfruit During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is safe to eat jackfruit during pregnancy as long as you consume it in moderate quantities. Try not to overeat the fruit as it is heat-producing. It is rich in vitamin B6 and other nutrients such as potassium. They contain an easily digestible flesh part called bulbs, which are a rich source of antioxidants.
Is Jackfruit Safe During Early Pregnancy?
Yes, you can have jackfruit during early pregnancy, but moderately.
[ Read: Watermelon During Pregnancy ]
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy?
The significant benefits of jackfruit in pregnancy are as follows:
1. Improves immunity:
Jackfruit is a rich source of vitamins A, B, and C that help in strengthening the immune system. It, therefore, lowers the risk of common infections (1).
2. Eases digestion:
Constipation is common during pregnancy. Jackfruit contains high dietary fiber which helps relieve digestion and reduce constipation (2). It also enables you to meet the recommended daily allowance of fiber.
3. Controls blood pressure:
An excellent source of potassium, this fruit helps lower blood pressure, therefore, reducing the risk of cardiac diseases as well (3).
5. Prevents anemia:
Excellent levels of folate and iron in this fruit help in normalizing the hemoglobin levels and prevent anemia (4).
6. Good bone health:
The magnesium content in the fruit promotes bone health in both the mother and the fetus. It improves bone strength and lowers the risk of osteoporosis (5).
7. Energy booster:
Jackfruit has natural sugars (fructose and sucrose) that give you a quick energy boost (1).
8. Aids fetal development:
Vitamin A also plays a vital role in the development of fetal eyesight and cells (6).
Read on to learn about the nutritional values of this fruit.
Nutritional Facts Of Jackfruit
100g of raw jackfruit contains (9):
g=grams; mg=milligrams; mcg=micrograms
While eating a reasonable amount of jackfruit is good for you, overindulging in it can be a bad idea.
[ Read: Dragon Fruit During Pregnancy ]
Possible Side Effects Of Eating Jackfruit During Pregnancy
There are some potential risks of eating jackfruit when you are pregnant.
1. Can cause allergies:
If you have never eaten jackfruit, pregnancy is not the time to experiment with it because you do not know if you are allergic to it (7).
2. Leads to tummy upset:
Overconsumption of jackfruit can lead to indigestion and diarrhea since it has high fiber content.
3. Coagulates blood:
If you have any blood disorders, then avoid it during pregnancy as it can increase blood coagulation (8).
4. Raises blood sugar levels:
Abundant in natural sugars, jackfruit can easily affect blood sugar levels. Therefore, it is not right to take if you are having gestational diabetes (8).
Some women even worry that jackfruit consumption may affect their pregnancy and avoid it altogether. There is no need for it.
Does Jackfruit Cause A Miscarriage?
Jackfruit is not likely to cause a miscarriage unless taken in excess amounts. There is no scientific backing for this.
Excess consumption of the fruit may be bad, but there are not many serious risks of eating jackfruit when you are pregnant, which makes it safe. Next, we learn about selecting the right fruit that is healthy for you and the baby.
How To Select And Store Jackfruit?
- If you want a raw fruit, select the ones that are green and hard with hard, thorny projections and with the skin intact.
- If you like a ripe fruit, select fresh, yellowish and heavy fruits with soft thorny projections.
- Avoid lightweight and infected fruits that can be identified with their spots, wrinkles or bruises.
Once you have the perfect fruit, you can consume it in different ways: either eat the ripened fruit or make a dish of your choice with the raw fruit.
Ways to Consume Jackfruit During Pregnancy
Before you eat the fruit, you should master the technique of cutting it open.
Jackfruit gives out a sticky sap; therefore you should oil your hands, the work surface or cutting board and the blade of the knife with which you are cutting the fruit. Once you slice it in half, remove the yellow fruit pods along the skin and core. Remove the seeds, and you will have the sweet tasting flesh that you can eat.
- Jackfruit’s flesh can be consumed plain when sweet. It can be chopped and added to yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies, or even sprinkled over ice-cream.
- Raw/ unripe fruit tastes great in savory dishes such as wraps, salads, tacos, and carnitas.
- Raw fruit can be incorporated into soups or curries as well.
- You can also make jackfruit chips, which make a great snack during pregnancy.
- Jackfruit seeds are also edible. You can boil or roast them, and mix with seasonings, or use them to prepare hummus.
[ Read: Kiwi Fruits During Pregnancy ]
1. Jackfruit curry
You will need:
- ½ raw jackfruit (tender variety)
- 1 onion
- ¼tsp turmeric
- Salt as required
- 3tbsp coconut grate
- 1 ½tbsp coriander seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 red chilies
- 1tsp pepper
- Oil as required
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Take the flesh without seeds and cut it into small pieces.
- Soak them in a bowl of rice water (water drained after washing rice) or buttermilk for about 10 to 15min. Take them out and squeeze the water.
- Boil some water with salt and turmeric, and add the jackfruit pieces. Cook them until they turn soft.
- Now blend coconut, coriander seeds, garlic cloves, cumin seeds, red chilies and pepper along with some water to make a paste.
- Heat some oil in a wok, and add mustard seeds, urad dal (black gram), curry leaves and onions. Fry them until the onions turn soft.
- Now add the paste and cooked jackfruit. Fry everything on a medium flame, and sprinkle some salt.
- Keep stirring at regular intervals, and the curry will be ready in 15 minutes.
- You can have it hot with chapattis, rice or a salad.
Preparation time: 1hr 5min
2. Jackfruit chips
You will need:
- Raw jackfruit (1 whole fruit or half)
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 3tbsp water
- Salt as required
- Vegetable oil, enough for deep frying
- Combine turmeric, salt, and water in a bowl and mix well.
- Slice the fruit lengthwise and transfer to a bowl.
- Spread them on a clean cloth until the moisture evaporates.
- Add enough oil in a wok and heat it.
- Add the jackfruit and fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil, and add some salt and red chili powder.
- Toss them well and store in an airtight container.
- Serve as crispy snacks or as a side dish to the main course.
Preparation time: 10min
[ Read: Star Fruit During Pregnancy ]
Try these recipes or cook jackfruit in any other way that is healthy and tasty.
If you like jackfruit and are not allergic to it, there is no need to avoid it. Both the ripened fruit and the raw one are rich sources of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and energy, and can be taken in moderation. But if you do notice any abnormal changes after eating this fruit, consult your doctor before consuming it any more of it.
Have some tasty jackfruit recipes to share? Do write them down in the comment section below.
- Benefits Of Eating Mangoes In Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
- Benefits Of Passion Fruit During Pregnancy
- Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- 100 Common Welsh Surnames Or Last Names With Meanings - September 26, 2019
- Postpartum Hemorrhoids (Piles): Causes, Treatment And Homecare - September 20, 2019
- List Of Safe Fish To Eat During Pregnancy And Fish To Avoid - August 2, 2019
- Can You Have Your Period When Pregnant? - July 3, 2019
- Stomach Tightening During Pregnancy: When To Consult A Doctor? - June 28, 2019
- Who Is A Doula And How Are They Helpful? - June 21, 2019
- Who Is A Midwife And What Do They Do? - June 21, 2019
- Can You Get Pregnant During Menopause? - May 30, 2019
- Headache after pregnancy: Causes, management and prevention - May 28, 2019
- How Does Smoking During Pregnancy Affect Your Baby? - May 13, 2019