Are you planning to include jaggery in your baby’s food? But, are you worried that it may have some adverse effects on her health? If these questions have been nagging you, you should probably consider reading about jaggery for babies below.
What Is Jaggery?
Jaggery, also popular as Gur, is unrefined sugar from raw, concentrated sugarcane juice. Many Asians and Africans regularly consume jaggery in their diet. Jaggery is the closest substitute for white sugar and also good for health. However, most moms are wary of feeding their babies jaggery. So it becomes necessary to learn benefits and side-effects of including jaggery in your baby’s diet (1)
Health Benefits Of Jaggery For Babies:
1. Prevents The Risk Of Anemia:
Jaggery is a rich source of iron, which is a quintessential mineral for the formation of hemoglobin. Adding Gur to the baby’s food provides her a sufficient amount of iron and prevents the risk of deficiency of iron or anemia. Add a small amount of jaggery to your baby’s food to help her meet the daily requirement of the mineral (2).
2. Prevents Constipation:
Jaggery triggers smooth bowel movements and helps prevent constipation in babies. The unrefined sugar also helps activate digestive enzymes and promotes digestion in babies (3)
3. Cleanse The Liver:
The unrefined sugar helps detoxify your baby’s body. Jaggery flushes out all harmful toxins from your baby’s body, cleanses the liver, and detoxifies it. Add a small piece of jaggery to your baby’s food (4).
4. Treats Symptoms Of Cold And Flu:
Babies tend to suffer from a cough, cold, bloating, water retention, and symptoms of flu often. Jaggery is highly effective in treating the symptoms of cold and flu. All you need to do is mix the unrefined sugar in warm water and give it to you baby through her food. Your baby will get great relief soon (5).
[ Read: Symptoms Of Flu In Babies ]
5. Strengthens Bones:
Jaggery is also a good source of the minerals calcium and phosphorous, which are necessary for healthy bones and tissues. Including the raw sugar in baby’s diet helps your baby have strong and healthy bones (6).
6. Boosts Immunity:
Jaggery is a rich source of antioxidants and minerals, such as selenium and zinc, which help prevent the risk of cell damage due to free-radical activity. So it helps babies combat infections and boosts their immunity (7).
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Ghee For Babies ]
Risks Of Jaggery For Babies:
Even though jaggery offers many health benefits to babies, you need to be aware of potential risks of giving jaggery to babies. Here are some potential side-effects of including jaggery in your baby’s diet:
1. Addiction To Jaggery:
Since jaggery is highly sweet, adding it to baby’s daily diet can make the little one develop a habit to eating too much of sugar. Several pieces of research reveal that babies who eat jaggery daily tend to consume more sugar than is necessary by the time they turn six-years-old (8).
2. Adverse Reactions:
Jaggery may not suit some babies, and they can suffer from adverse reactions. Babies may suffer from intestinal worms, mild rashes due to overheating, stomach problems, and heat bumps. If you observe any of these reaction, stop adding the unrefined sugar to your baby’s diet (9).
3. Overconsumption Of Calories:
Jaggery contains lots of calories. So you should add an only small amount of Gur to the baby’s diet, as even a small amount will provide her necessary calories. The baby’s immature digestive system might not be able to derive all nutrients from the unrefined sugar (10)
[ Read: Indian Food Ideas For Babies ]
Did you try any jaggery recipes for babies regular diet? How did she benefit from it? Share your experience with fellow mommies below. Leave a comment below.
- 5 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Turmeric For Babies
- Top 10 Eggplant Recipes For Babies
- 7 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Pumpkin For Babies
- 6 Health Benefits Of Pomegranates For Babies
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016