Are you expecting and craving for jalapenos? But, is it safe to eat jalapenos when pregnant? Eating jalapenos could be the best idea if you are suffering from sinusitis and nasal congestion. It will help you satisfy your craving and cure nasal congestion effectively. Read our post to learn health benefits of jalapenos and how safe it is to eat jalapenos during pregnancy.
What Is Jalapeno?
Jalapeno peppers derive their name after Xalapa in Mexico. People in Mexico and Central America cultivate the peppers from past thousands of years. However, today you can find jalapeno in Asia and other parts of the world. The two to four-inch long jalapeno is full of nutrients and vitamins. The pepper adds a dash of spice with its hot and pungent flavor to a variety of cuisines. Jalapeno offers several health benefits, so it is beneficial to eat it while you are expecting.
[ Read: Eating Broccoli During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Jalapeno During Pregnancy:
1. Promotes Weight Loss:
Jalapeno contains a natural compound, capsaicin that makes jalapenos taste spicy. Capsaicin also helps lose weight safely during pregnancy. The compound supports burning of fats and calories helping you to lose excess of weight (1).
2. Treats Arthritis:
The capsaicin in jalapeno possesses anti-inflammatory properties. The compound inhibits Substance P that aids inflammatory process. So eating jalapenos while pregnant is effective in minimizing pain and swelling in females who suffer from arthritis (2).
3. Prevents The Risk Of Cancer:
Capsaicin in jalapenos kills cancer cells, particularly prostate cancer cells. Moreover, vitamins and flavonoids in the jalapeno peppers are powerful antioxidants that help prevent cancer and curb cell damage during pregnancy (3).
4. Provides Relief From Headaches:
Capsaicin in jalapenos effectively inhibits the neuropeptide, popular as Substance P, which is the prominent brain pain transmitter. So eating jalapenos offers you relief from headaches or a migraine during pregnancy (4).
5. Treats Nasal Congestion:
Eating jalapenos generates heat due to capsaicin, which helps clear sinuses. Also, the compound helps combat sinus infections and cleanses the nasal airways. So, eating jalapenos while pregnant helps cure nasal congestion effectively (5).
6. Prevents The Risk Of Ulcers:
Eating Jalapeno kills bad bacteria in your abdomen and intestines while you are expecting. The pepper prevents the harmful activity of bad bacteria that can result in ulcers (6).
7. Regulates Blood Pressure:
Jalapenos are rich in flavonoids. Also, jalapeno contains good amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. So, eating jalapeno helps regulate high blood pressure during pregnancy (7).
8. Prevents Fluid Retention:
Fluid retention in the body is harmful during pregnancy. The fluid can accumulate around your heart and exert a strain on your heart and damage it. Swollen ankles and difficulty in breathing normally are symptoms of fluid retention. Jalapenos prevent fluid retention during pregnancy. The pepper makes you sweat and reduces the excess of fluid in your body.
9. Promotes Heart Health:
Capsaicin in jalapenos reduces triglycerides, cholesterol, and aggregation of platelets. The compound helps dissolve fibrin, which is the key ingredient in the formation of blood clots during pregnancy. Medical studies reveal that jalapenos reduce the chances of stroke and heart attack substantially. Bioflavonoids, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C aid in strengthening your blood vessels making them more elastic and helping them adjust to changing blood pressure during pregnancy.
Can You Eat Jalapenos When Pregnant?
Yes, it is completely safe to eat jalapenos while you are expecting. Since the chilly pepper is spicy, you may feel a bit uncomfortable if you don’t eat it regularly. However, make sure you eat jalapenos in appropriate amounts since excess consumption can result in heartburn, particularly in the last trimester of your pregnancy.
Did you eat jalapenos while expecting? How did you benefit from it? Share your experience with other moms-to-be by leaving a comment below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Parsley During Your Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use Garlic While You Are Pregnant?
- Is It Safe To Eat Bologna While You Are Pregnant?
- 6 Amazing Health Benefits Of Eating Durian During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 6 Most Popular Indian Mythological Stories For Kids - September 15, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016