Are you expecting and you wish to avoid constipation that accompanies it? Do you want to boost your energy levels and stay active when you are pregnant? If you said yes, drinking kombucha can be one of the best solutions for you. What is Kombucha? What health benefits it offers? Is it safe to drink kombucha during pregnancy? Read our post to get answers here.
What Is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a fermented tea that you prepare using black, white, or green tea. It undergoes fermentation for minimum one week with sugar and fungal culture comprising a mixture of yeast and bacteria. Kombucha is quite popular and originates from China in 3rd century B.C. However, you can find it anywhere in the world today. Kombucha is a probiotic also famous as ‘mushroom tea’, and it offers a large number of health benefits if you consume it when you are expecting. (1)
[ Read: Safe Herbal Teas During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Kombucha During Pregnancy:
1. Detoxifies Your Body:
Kombucha possesses glucuronic acid, which acts as a detoxifying agent. It combines with various toxins in your body, such as environmental pollutants and converts them into soluble compounds that your body can excrete. It helps detoxify your body when you are expecting. Also, drinking Kombucha prevents your body tissues from absorbing toxins present in the atmosphere.
2. Provides Antioxidants:
Kombucha is rich in antioxidants including beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, and other necessary carotenoids. Also, kombucha possesses polyphenols and various compounds having antioxidant properties. The antioxidant activity of Kombucha is 100 times greater than vitamin C and nearly 25% greater than vitamin E. Drinking Kombucha during pregnancy prevents the risk of chronic ailments and health hazards resulting due to oxidative stress. (2)
3. Boosts Energy:
Kombucha frees the iron molecules from black tea. As a result, drinking kombucha helps enhance your hemoglobin count and improves oxygen supply to the tissues when you are expecting. Also, kombucha increases your body’s ability to absorb non-heme iron. Good hemoglobin count also prevents the risk of anemia during your pregnancy.
4. Prevents Hypertension:
Kombucha is effective in preventing dizziness and hypertension resulting due to hypertension during pregnancy. It also treats high blood pressure effectively. (3)
5. Improves Immunity:
Oxidative stress during pregnancy tends to suppress your immunity. The high amount of vitamin C present in kombucha helps boost your immunity substantially. Its antioxidant power safeguards you and your baby from inflammatory ailments, tumors, and cell damage effectively.
6. Heals Gastric Ulcers And Promotes Digestion:
Kombucha helps heal gastric ulcers effectively since it tends to safeguard the mucin content of your stomach. The healthy drink also minimizes the secretion of gastric acid that damages the mucous membrane. Drinking Kombucha treats gastric disorders and promotes digestion that prevents the risk of constipation when you are expecting.
7. Prevents Kidney Stones:
Kombucha prevents the kidney damage resulting due to environmental pollutants. Drinking Kombucha while pregnant prevents calcification and the formation of kidney stones.
8. Supports Nervous System:
Kombucha possesses ascorbic acid, several amino acids, B vitamins, and methylxanthine alkaloids that are essential for normal and smooth metabolism in the nervous system. Drinking Kombucha in pregnancy helps prevent nervousness, depression, headaches, and epilepsy.
Side-Effects Of Drinking Kombucha While Pregnant:
Despite several health benefits of having kombucha during pregnancy, there are a few risks that come along. Find below the list of risks of drinking kombucha while expecting.
- Traditional kombucha contains caffeine that is harmful to you and your baby during the pregnancy.
- Kombucha possesses small amounts of alcohol that is not good for your health when you are expecting.
- At an early stage of pregnancy, detoxifying properties of Kombucha can prove harmful since it might treat the initial stage of your fetus as a foreign particle and work to detoxify it out. (4)
[ Read: Effects Of Caffeine During Pregnancy ]
A Word Of Caution:
For first-time kombucha drinkers, drinking kombucha when pregnant can affect terribly with unbearable allergic reactions. So don’t try drinking Kombucha for the first time if you are expecting.
Did you drink Kombucha when you were expecting? How did you benefit from it? Share your story here!
- Benefits Of Carrot and its Juices During Pregnancy
- Absolutely Healthy Drinks For Pregnant Women
- Wonderful Benefits Of Consuming Almond Milk During Pregnancy
- Healthy Juices You Should Drink During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016