You count the days until you meet your partner; you spend restless nights tossing in bed, missing them. When you see a couple walking hand in hand, you miss all those times you spent together with your partner.
Such is a long distance relationship: it can put you through a roller coaster of emotions and leave you angry, frustrated, and sad. But all that is replaced with love and happiness when you finally meet them!
Even though the physical distance is unbearable, you can still be a part of each other’s lives. Simple gifts and a few thoughtful gestures can erase the distance and bring you closer to each other.
In this MomJunction post, we list 30 thoughtful and interesting long distance relationship gift ideas.
Long Distance Relationship Gifts For Him
Men are conditioned to be tough. Your man may work for long hours and stay away from you for months, but will not show how much he misses you or how it is breaking him to stay away from you. While he waits patiently and quietly to be with you, remind him of how much you miss him with some of these gifts.
- Bracelet: This gift is stylish, is always on him, and reminds him of you all the time. Gift him a bracelet that matches his style or customize it by putting special messages in the design, such as the coordinates of the place where you first met. You can also include your names along with the words ‘where the story began.’
- Guitar pick: If your husband happens to be a musician or loves to play the guitar, then gift him a customized guitar pick with a small love quote or both of your names engraved or printed on it.
- Customized pillowcase: ‘Hug this pillow until you can hug me’ is an apt quote to go on a pillowcase. Step up the game and print your couple picture so that when he misses you, he can always get a glimpse of the good times you had.
- DIY explosion box: This is a unique gift that you can personalize by filling it with your pictures, your love for him, your dreams, and much more. This is one of the sweetest ways to remind your husband of your love.
- Photo collage: Another gift that can bring a smile on your husband’s face is a collage of some pictures. You can either frame a picture and gift it to him, or stick some pictures on his bedroom wall. They stand as a reminder of you every time he sees this wall.
- Color changing mug: A color changing mug reveals the picture printed on them when a hot beverage is poured. Get a picture of you or the both of you printed on a color changing mug and gift it to your husband, so he thinks of you every time he has a hot cup of coffee.
- Open when letters: This idea helps you to share special messages and moments with your husband, even when you are miles apart. You can write a set of letters and name them ‘open when lonely,’ ‘open when feeling discouraged,’ ‘open when you miss me a lot,’ or ‘open when you feel homesick.’ It makes them feel you’re always there for them when they need you the most.
- Bluetooth: Miles apart, you and your husband are likely to talk for long hours on the phone. Gift him a Bluetooth headset to make speaking to you easy and comfortable.
- Customized wristwatch: This gift will come in handy when your husband counts the number of hours left to see you again. Make it unique, by including a quote, or anniversary date at the back of the watch. If you guys are staying in two different time zones, then make sure the watch has a dual time zone option.
- Activity tracker: Gift your husband an activity tracker and get one for yourself. Set up fitness goals and compete with each other. This way, you both would not only spend time together but also stay fit! Isn’t it a win-win situation?
- Portable charger: Is your husband too busy or forgetful to charge his phone enough? Then this can be a thoughtful gift for him. Give him a portable mobile charger so that your sweet talks do not get interrupted because of low battery.
- Gourmet coffee: Is coffee your husband’s other love? Does the smell of a fine cup of coffee make him happy? If yes, this is a fantastic gift idea. While you may not be able to brew some coffee for him, you can certainly get him some exceptional gourmet coffee that he is likely to enjoy.
- Care package: Are you worried that your husband might be neglecting his health? Does it make you sad that you cannot take care of him? Then this gift idea will ease your worry to some extent. Design a care package with the necessary first aid material and medications. Decorate the box and write a few heartfelt lines. This little box will show how much you care for him.
- Couple yearbook: Although you cannot spend a lot of time together, make sure to make the most of it when you meet. Capture all those special moments and turn them into a yearbook, or an adventure book, and gift it to your husband. This book will surely cheer him up when he misses you.
- DIY wall art: If either you or your husband is hopelessly romantic, then this is the perfect gift idea. All you need is a photo frame, your lips, cardboard paper, bright colored lipsticks. Apply the lipsticks and kiss the paper in a pattern of your wish. Include a love quote, and his name to make it more personal. Once the lipstick dries out, frame it and present it to your husband.
Long Distance Relationship Gifts For Her
It could be work, family, or something else that is keeping you away from your dear wife. Even though she understands and supports you, she would still miss you badly. Ease her pain to some extent with these thoughtful gift ideas.
- Necklace with initials: This piece of jewelry is going to be quite special for her. Gift your wife a necklace with both your initials, her nickname, or simply love or angel carved on it. She will treasure it and wear it all the time.
- Couple coupon set: You can either make these or buy them. This is a cute and adorable way to appreciate your wife for her support in the long distance relationship. These coupons will include small things such as movie night, free hug, breakfast in bed, etc. And she can avail them whenever she wants. Totally worth it, right?
- Matching wine glasses: Gift your wife a matching wine glass, so that you can enjoy a sip while talking or during video calls. This will give both of you the opportunity to sit back, relax, and enjoy a drink in each other’s company.
- Cell phone holder: This is a gift your wife would truly appreciate. She can talk with you while cooking or doing any chore without worrying about spilling or dropping the phone.
- A plant: If your wife loves gardening, then gift her a plant. She will love taking care of it, and it will grow and blossom, just like your relationship. You can also share pictures of the blooming plant.
- Send her flowers: No matter how brave your wife might be, there will be times when she would feel lonely and sad. Whenever you sense this, send her a bouquet of roses with a love note, this will cheer her instantly.
- Luggage: Gift your wife a unique piece of luggage of her choice so that she can travel in style. This is one gift she is likely to use more often.
- Make a book out of old conversations: Remember the days when you were still lovers? Those long conversations and sweet nothings? Dig them up and get them printed into a book, name it ‘our love story’ and gift it to your wife. She will be thrilled and would read it over and over.
- A day at the spa: This is the perfect gift for your wife to show how much you appreciate her efforts. Send her an all-expense covered day at her favorite spa so that she can relax and get pampered.
- Selfie stick: Gift your wife a selfie stick and be prepared to get bombarded with cute and adorable pics of her every day! But then, what can be better than checking your phone to find a picture of your wife smiling!
- Cosmetics: If you are living in a country that is known for its cosmetics and beauty products, then do some research and buy something for your wife. She will surely put them to good use whenever you both meet.
- Love songs playlist: Make a playlist of all your favorite love songs, including some of your special songs and gift it to her. She would listen to them and go nostalgic over all the fond memories.
- Oversized hoodie: An oversized hoodie or your hoodie is a perfect thing your wife needs to snuggle with in your absence. That is all she needs to experience the feeling of being in your arms.
- A countdown clock: Set the days, hours, minutes, and seconds until you meet her again. Whenever she misses you or is feeling lonely, the ticking time will cheer her up.
- Polaroid camera: She can capture your moments together instantly and use them to decorate the house. You will be thrilled to find all those precious moments decking up your home every time you visit.
You bid them goodbye with a heavy heart and hope to meet them soon.
“Missing someone gets easier everyday because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will.”
Being in a long distance relationship is not easy, but with some simple gestures and gifts like these, both of you can support each other and cross this difficult time. More than any gift or gesture, the love, and commitment between you and your partner are what makes your ship to sail smoothly.
What gifts did you give your partner when you were in a long distance relationship? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Signs You Are In A Love-Hate Relationship
- Relationship Problem Quotes And Sayings
- Basic Relationship Rules That Strengthen Your Bond
- Signs Your Husband Is Having An Affair