Does migraine leave you feeling woozy and exhausted during lactation? Do you suffer from severe and prolonged headaches while breastfeeding? Confused about taking migraine medications during this delicate phase? Well, don’t be! Read our post to learn about migraine during breastfeeding and how you can treat it.
Migraine usually occurs in lactating mothers, during their initial stages of post-pregnancy. Hormonal changes in your body can cause undue stress, and you may end up suffering from excedrin migraine while breastfeeding.
What Is Migraine?
Mothers who suffer from migraine, feel intense throbbing and pulsating sensation around the head region. The prolonged head pain can even persist for 2-3 days, and you may suffer from a high level of discomfort.
Symptoms Of Migraine In Lactating Mothers:
Typically, the major symptom of migraine is throbbing headache. Some other symptoms that indicate the onset of a migraine include:
- Pain on one side or both sides of your head
- Neck stiffness
- Aura (Blurred vision)
- Nausea and vomiting (1)
[ Read: Symptoms of Mastitis While Breastfeeding ]
Causes Of Migraine In Lactating Mothers:
Let’s look at some causes of migraine during breastfeeding.
- Hormonal Changes:
When you are breastfeeding, the body releases the hormone, Oxytocin. Oxytocin in the lactating mother’s body causes contraction of the milk ducts and triggers severe headache. Oxytocin release triggers the condition of migraine headache in lactating moms.
- Sleep Deprivation:
A lactating mom often experiences sleep deprivation, during her early stages of post-pregnancy. The condition of sleep deprivation is prevalent and triggers migraine headaches.
Stress can lead to migraine headaches. You need to find enough relaxation time. Excessive stress can elevate the condition of migraine.
Individuals exposed to loud noises usually suffer from migraine headaches. As a new mom, you should avoid loud noises as they can lead to migraine pains.
- Less Medication Available:
During lactation, you shouldn’t use pain killers or other migraine medications, so it becomes tougher to improve your condition. With proper medical consultation, you can ask your doctor for a list of migraine medications, which are safe to consume during breastfeeding.
[ Read: Thrush During Breastfeeding ]
Medications To Cure Migraine In Lactating Mothers:
Your doctor may prescribe some safe migraine medications for lactating mothers. Some of these medications include:
- NSAIDS – non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Naproxen and Ibuprofen.
- Amitriptyline and Fluoxetine.
- Beta-blockers such as propranolol and nadolol.
- Narcotic drugs such as morphine, butorphanol, verapamil, codeine.
- OTC Medications- Motrin, Tylenol, and other OTC medications are safe for lactating mothers. (2)
[ Read: Safe Medicines While Breastfeeding ]
Medications To Avoid During Migraine In Lactating Mothers:
If you are expecting and you suffer from migraine, you need to avoid medications like:
- Painkillers such as Aspirin
- Triptans including Almotriptan, Eletriptan, Rizatriptan, Sumatriptan, and Zolmitriptan
[ Read: Hay Fever While Breastfeeding ]
Preventing Migraine In Lactating Mothers:
Here are some simple tips to prevent migraine during lactation:
- Exercise Regularly:
Excessive stress and an unbalanced lifestyle can trigger migraines in lactating moms. Light exercises like yoga or walking help release stress hormones from the body and prevent migraine headaches.
- Avoid Triggers:
Migraine often occurs due to loud music or food odor. Try to stay in a peaceful environment and avoid consuming spicy or caffeinated food products.
Sleep deprivation or disturbed sleep patterns can elevate the symptoms of migraines while breastfeeding. It is advisable to take adequate rest during lactation. Take short naps throughout the day and keep your mind relaxed and stress-free.
You can easily deal with migraine by following a well-balanced diet.
Did you suffer from migraine pain while breastfeeding? What treatments and migraine medication while breastfeeding did your doctor suggest? Tell us your story here. Leave a comment below.
- Dehydration While Breastfeeding – 4 Causes, 7 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
- 5 Ways To Control Food Cravings While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Eat Onions While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Consume Colic Foods During Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016