Mosquito bites can be a nuisance. The red bumps are terribly itchy, and many children can worsen the condition by scratching at them. Mosquitoes are a tough species, and they develop resistance to many repellants. Don’t you wish you could put an end to those terribly itchy red bumps we call mosquito bites? Are you looking for some home remedies for mosquito bites? If you can relate to the situation or you know someone who can, read our post. Here we look at some symptoms and effective remedies to treat mosquito bites in children.
What Are Mosquito Bites?
A mosquito bite usually leads to an itchy red bump, which occurs immediately after the mosquito bites your child. Mosquitoes use their mouth to puncture skin’s surface and suck our blood.
Some specific mosquitoes carry harmful viruses and parasites. With the bite, the disease-producing germs enter the human body, and the person suffers from harmful diseases. Some of the mosquito-causing diseases are yellow fever, malaria and some types of brain infection (encephalitis) (1).
Symptoms Of Mosquito Bites In Children:Sponsored
- Large area of itching
- Hives (at or around the bite)
- Bruises near the bite
- Swelling around the bite
- A skin bump, that appears for few minutes after mosquito bites
- Swollen lymph nodes (2)
[ Read: Bed Bug Bites In Kids ]
Remedies To Cure Mosquito Bites In Children:
1. Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera has antiseptic effects on the skin. In case of mosquito bites, the aloe vera juice can be directly rubbed on the bump, which will soothe the itchiness.
Apply raw honey on his skin. Honey possesses the anti-microbial property and helps reduce the unpleasant skin irritation and itching.
The acidic nature of vinegar makes it an ideal antiseptic lotion. You need to apply vinegar to the bump immediately. Apple cider vinegar is also a good alternative.
4. Water With Baking Soda:
Combine water and baking soda and make a thick paste. The water and soda help relieve his itchiness and skin irritation.
5. Essential Oils:
Some of the beneficial essential oils like rosemary, lavender or tea tree oils offer quick mosquito bite relief for children.
6. Dry Soap Bar:
Rubbing a dry soap bar on the bump reduces the itching temporarily.
7. Salt Paste:
Mix finely ground salt powder in a small amount of water to make a thick salt paste. Apply the mixture to the bump. Salt has antiseptic properties and provides quick relief from the itching sensation. (3)
[ Read: Treatment Of Bee Stings In Children ]
Preventing Kids Mosquito Bites:
You can prevent mosquito bites using many steps, which include:
- Get him to wear full sleeves clothes. The more skin you cover, the less exposed is your child.
- Apply good insect repellents. The element DEET present in such repellents keeps the mosquitoes away from the body. But before using any chemical repellents, consult your doctor and seek proper guidance. If the child has allergic syndromes, he must be kept away from such chemical substances.
- Get him to sleep inside mosquito nettings. These nets keep the mosquitoes away from your darling’s body.
- Avoid stagnation of water near your home. Stay away from dirty or unhygienic surroundings (4).
[ Read: Insect Bite Allergies in Kids ]
With proper knowledge of the preventive measures and effective home remedies for mosquito bites for kids, you can keep your child safe. If your child suffers from prolonged fever or skin swelling, consult your doctor immediately.
Did your child suffer from painful rashes of mosquito bites? What homemade remedies did you use for curing mosquito bites on kids skin? Do you have any home remedies to share? Tell us your story here. Fellow moms would to hear from you. Leave a comment below.
- 4 Causes & 4 Treatments For Psoriasis In Children
- 7 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Allergies In Children
- Smallpox In Children – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017