Newborn babies have skin that is quite tender and sensitive, and needs extra care and protection.
Babies are born with very gentle and fragile skin. New parents are often concerned about their baby’s skin, which is not surprising. A baby’s skin is very sensitive and he/she may probably develop rashes and allergies if proper skin care is not practiced.
New parents should be extremely careful about their baby’s skin needs, and must use products that are natural and free of any chemical additives that may cause harm to the baby’s skin. Why? Well, here’s your answer-
- The skin of a baby is very thin and fragile.
- The newborn baby’s skin needs time to get adjusted to the new environment around him.
- A baby’s skin faces a lot of challenges- think diaper rashes, chemical soaps and shampoos etc.
- Babies are prone to skin allergies in the first few months.
Baby Skin Care:
Do you know a human being has the best skin when he or she is a baby? Proper skin care can ensure that your baby can maintain great skin all his/her life. Here you will learn how to take care of baby skin & we’ve listed some of the best ways to ensure optimum skin health for your precious little one.
Parents prefer to bathe their child every day. It is better to use shampoo and soaps which do not cause an allergic reaction to the baby. Wash your baby’s skin with lukewarm water and a gentle soap. The room that you use to dry off your baby should be warm and all air conditioners and fans should be switched off to avoid the chill.
Do not try any new product on your baby’s skin. Do not use any antibacterial soaps as they may be too harsh for the sensitive skin of the baby. It is best to wipe the baby using natural cotton and smooth towels to ensure gently take out the moisture out of the skin there by staying away from unexpected scratch.
You need to be even more careful while choosing a talcum powder for your baby. Choose products that are designed specifically for babies and avoid using powders that have fragrances and other chemicals as they may irritate the baby’s sensitive skin.
Stay away from powders that contain grains and choose herbal powders, especially for the diaper area. As a rule, it is best if you avoid powdering the diaper area, as it may lead to future complications or infections.
3. Nappies and Diapers:
The diapers that are used for babies are actually helpful for keeping the baby clean and fresh. However, certain diapers may also irritate the baby’s skin and may causes rashes or infections. It is best to change the diaper as soon as you find your baby has ‘used’ it.
If you find that skin is irritated at the diaper area, choose another variety or brand- your baby has a diaper rash. Remember to change your baby’s diaper as soon as he dirties it, because letting it stay for too long can cause infections.
While most newborns are prone to rashes, you need to take certain preventive measures and avoid them in the first place. Here are some guidelines you should follow for your newborn baby skin care.
4. Diaper Trouble:
Diaper rashes often occur due to skin irritation due to wet diaper left on for too long, too-tight diapers or due to the use of a specific soap, wipes or a diaper.
- Change the diaper as soon as it is wet and after using wipes to clean the area, sprinkle some powder to keep the area dry and clean
- Most baby skin rashes are not a serious problem, but few of them may be a sign of infection and need a special care. If you find that the rashes are too serious, visit your paediatrician for better treatment right away
5. Skin Problems:
Generally, lots of babies have birthmarks (areas of skin have a slight discoloration) and this condition is not hereditary. Parents need not worry about birthmarks, as they cause absolutely no harm to the baby and needs no treatment.
- Eczema is a red, itchy rash that may or may not occur in response to a cause. It usually occurs on the baby’s face, elbow, arms or behind knees, chest. If the child’s family experience with allergies, asthma or atopic dermatitis, the baby may be at a risk of getting affected by eczema. Use mild soaps and apply soft amounts of moisturizers
- Some babies also tend to develop acne; however, they are not the same as teenage acne. If the problem persists, visit your paediatrician
6. Dry Skin:
If your baby has dry skin, use a natural moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated, soft and supple. Pure coconut oil is a favorite.
- Avoid bathing your baby too often, as it may sap the vital nutrients from the skin, leaving it dull and dry
- During your baby’s first month, gently sponge her with plain water two or three times a week; this should keep the baby clean while preventing her skin from losing its natural moisture
- Use the best skin care products made especially for babies. Be careful if baby is allergic to any products like bath gels, shampoos and lotions
7. General Baby Skin Care Tips:
The newborn baby skin is very delicate and so is their immune system.
- Babies should not be exposed to direct sunlight until they are 6 months old. The tender skin of the baby can be protected with long-sleeved tops, pants and hats
- Make sure that your little one’s new outfits are clean; it is preferable to wash (and soften) new outfits before your baby wears them
- Prickly heat appears due to sweating, like the armpits, skin folds, neck diaper areas. Loose clothes and cool environment are all you need to treat from prickly heat rashes
- Chemical detergents, talcum powders and certain baby products can cause skin irritation, rashes, dryness etc. Stick to using organic products as often as possible to protect your baby’s skin from harmful infections or allergic reactions
Hope our post on baby skin care will make you understand that your baby’s sweet,sensitive skin needs nothing but the best care.
- Top 10 Oils That Are Good For Baby Skin
- 3 Key Benefits Of Using Olive Oil For Babies
- Is It Safe To Use Almond Oil For Massaging A Baby?
Latest posts by Sheetal (see all)
- 75 Cute Smiling Baby Images That Will Make Your Day - May 27, 2014
- 10 Best Aveeno Products For Your Baby - May 16, 2014
- Top 10 Exercises To Reduce Tummy Fat Post Pregnancy - April 18, 2014
- 30 Things You Must Avoid During Pregnancy - April 18, 2014
- What Are The Right Clothes To Wear During Pregnancy? - April 15, 2014
- 7 Most Helpful Tips To Keep Your Baby's Skin Healthy - April 14, 2014