Did you ever undergo the pain of motion sickness during pregnancy? It definitely wouldn’t have been a pleasant experience, right?
Of course, pregnancy is a beautiful time and it brings joy to the entire family. Like other expectant mothers, you start looking for baby mittens, adorable clothes, baby cot, and prams. However, with your pregnancy comes in a lot of responsibility. And so does a little bit of discomfort. Hence, you must take good care of yourself as well as your baby. The first thing you should do is follow your doctor’s advice without fail. Sometimes flipping through magazines and articles can also be of great help.
It is seen that women are more likely to suffer from motion sickness when they are pregnant. It is a common problem when people travel by car, plane or boat. They feel nauseated and vomit on their way. Some women experience this only when they are pregnant. Again in some women, it can be a normal occurrence that increases during pregnancy.
If you suffer from motion sickness while traveling, worry not! In this post, we discuss the causes, symptoms, and treatments of motion sickness. You can get rid of this unpleasant condition in no time!
Causes Of Motion Sickness During Pregnancy:
Motion sickness generally occurs when you are travel long distances. This may get increased during pregnancy due to a number of reasons like:
1. When the vehicle moves continuously at relatively slow speed. It disrupts the inner balance of your ears causing motion sickness.
2. After eating a big meal. You feel heavy and nauseated due to the constant movement.
3. If the air around you is stuffy or filled with fumes.
4. When confused signals are received by your brain. It mainly happens when there is an inconsistency between the expected motion and the actual motion that is perceived by the organ of balance.
5. When the two neurotransmitters fail to function, motion sickness is likely to happen.
[ Read: You May Become Dehydrated ]
Symptoms Of Motion Sickness In Pregnancy:
The symptoms of motion sickness are dependent upon its intensity. Some common symptoms seen during motion sickness include:
1. If you have motion sickness then, this may result in mild headache, and you may feel a bit uncomfortable and nauseated.
2. Fatigue, dizziness, and weakness are also some common symptoms.
[ Read: Dizziness During Pregnancy ]
3. In severe cases, you may feel extremely anxious; you may salivate or sweat a lot, become nauseous or pale and start vomiting.
4. You may become dehydrated if vomiting continues.
5. The symptoms of motion sickness disappear once the motion is stopped, but in some cases it may take three long days to get cured completely.
[ Read: Nausea During Pregnancy ]
Treatment of Motion Sickness:
What to take for motion sickness while pregnant? Well, motion sickness can be treated either by taking medicines or following some natural tips. The medical ways of treating this condition are:
1. Take medicinal drugs like diphenhydramine or dimenhydrinate which are antihistamines 30 minutes before a journey. These medicines are easily available in all pharmacies without prescription.
2. If you are planning for a long journey, then take medicines like scopolamine or meclizine, which have a long lasting effect and keeps motion sickness at bay. Scopolamine is a patch that should be applied 12 hours before traveling.
3. Taking Vitamin B6 supplement will help in decreasing motion sickness induced by pregnancy.
4. The non-medical way of treating motion sickness is to sit in the front seat of the car, or over the wings of an airplane or in the central location of a boat while traveling.
5. You can even wear special wrist bands known as acupressure bracelets to avoid this unpleasant condition.
Motion sickness is a very common problem faced during pregnancy. You do not need to panic as proper medication can keep this in control. However, before taking any medicines you should always consult your physician. Your and your baby’s health should be your first priority.
- 5 Effective Ways To Cope With Fatigue During Pregnancy
- 9 Effective Home Remedies To Cure Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Top 10 Remedies For Bloating During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Sudeshna GuhaSarkar (see all)
- Lead Poisoning In Children – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - January 5, 2015
- 5 Steps To Give A Sponge Bath To Your Baby - January 2, 2015
- 10 Precautions To Take While Co-Sleeping With Your Newborn - December 30, 2014
- The Influence of Negative and Positive Parenting on Children - December 29, 2014
- Motion Sickness During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 26, 2014
- 10 Health Benefits Of Chickpeas For Babies - October 27, 2014
- 4 Effective Natural Remedies To Soothe Sunburns In Kids - October 21, 2014
- 3 Amazing Ways To Include Tulsi During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014
- 6 Benefits Of Breastfeeding While Having Diabetes - September 30, 2014
- 7 Effective Home Remedies To Cure Chest Pain In Teenagers - September 27, 2014