With the incredible emergence of social media in recent times, you may be mocked if you do not comprehend handling it. Moreover, kids being the most active on social media today, parents often worry about the impacts of social media on children. There is already much said about the power of social media and its ability to transform people’s thinking and ways of communication. However, if you cannot monitor your child’s trials on social media, it could direct them towards negative paths. Also, nowadays, there are various options like pokes, chats, and emoticons that help bridge the gap between people with a single click. Most young kids are well acquainted with smartphones and tablets, and also the social media attributes better than the adults, as it is a major part of a child’s life. Accordingly, it is necessary for you as a parent to learn about ways to manage a social media account and be aware of the technologies for associating with your child’s activities on various social networks. Delve into this post as we present you with social media’s positive and negative effects on children.
Social media helps you link up with people all over the world. The positive influence of social media on children include:
- Helps children connect with extended family and friends.
- Helps develop better perspectives on various issues.
- Learn new things, exchange ideas and help hone their networking skills.
- It helps provide an effective platform for enhancing your child’s knowledge.
- It helps motivate children to get better at communication and encourages freedom of self-expression.
- Social media facilitates the development of technical expertise and practical understanding of technology in your child.
Young minds are moldable, and social media can mold the way your child thinks or behaves. At her age, she is innocent and cannot discern good and bad. Social media also has a dark side. As with the story of dark needs light, Ying has a yang, there is a flipside to social media. Some common, but disturbing effects that let you know why social media is bad for kids:
- The vastness of social media ensures that there is no control on the scope of information. Such situations can lead to children bumping into obscene, harmful or graphic websites that may affect their thinking process.
- Cyber bullying is another growing trend among social media websites. Cyberbullying can have dangerous and potentially fatal effects. It claims many victims each year. Australia suffers from a large number of teen and other youth suicides due to cyber bullying.
- Waste of time. We agree that social media is good, but ‘too much of a …’ you know how it goes. Spending too much time can also affect your child negatively and often lead to social media addiction. Addiction can manifest itself as various symptoms and may even affect your child’s physical health.
- Too much social media can affect your child’s ability to develop strong interpersonal relationships. Your child is moldable, and the avalanche of information can overwhelm her.
As a parent, you need to make sure your child spends quality time on social media websites and reaps positive outcomes. Keep a tab on what sites your child accesses. Educate your child about the pros and cons of social media. If you find your child acting too withdrawn or moody, or excited due to a lack of social media access, you may want to visit a therapist. Your child may be addicted.
Hope now you know the effects of social media on children. So, let’s pledge to make social media a fun, educating, and positive experience for our young ones.