Most pregnancy cravings are unexplainable at best. Even in chilly winters, you may want to eat something cold, like a cup of ice cream. The very idea of delicious ice cream with your favorite toppings could make you drool, even when you are not hungry. While some say it is okay to have ice cream during pregnancy, a few may advise otherwise.
Does it mean you cannot eat them at all during pregnancy? Read this MomJunction post to find out. Here, we tell you if it is a good idea to eat ice creams during pregnancy, what ice creams to eat, and what to avoid when you are expecting.
Is It Safe To Eat Ice Cream During Pregnancy?
Yes. The basic ingredients of ice cream are dairy (milk, cream), sugar, and eggs (sometimes), which are safe to eat during pregnancy. However, when milk and eggs are used, they should be pasteurized to eliminate the risks of bacterial poisoning (1).
Ice creams also have flavors that are usually not harmful to your pregnancy. But it is essential to know about the ingredients and flavors used, and whether or not they are good for you. For example, if you are allergic to a fruit or nuts, avoid eating fruit-flavored ice cream and those that may contain nuts as toppings. To stay safe, avoid flavors or variants that you are not sure about.
Moreover, eat ice cream sparingly, as a treat. Overindulgence in such foods can be a bad idea.
Nutritional Profile Of Ice Cream
Ice cream is one thing that most people eat for pleasure and not nutrition. Nonetheless, it contains a few nutrients that could be helpful in pregnancy.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), 100 grams of ice cream provides you 200kcal, 2.8g protein, 24.29g carbohydrate, 22.86g sugars, 114mg calcium, 43mg sodium, and 429 IU vitamin A (2).
However, ice cream also contains cholesterol and should be eaten in moderation.
Why Do You Crave Ice Cream When Pregnant?
Craving something sweet, such as an ice cream, is pretty common in pregnancy (3). You might crave for the ice cream due to a lack of calcium in your body, or just because you are extremely fond of ice cream.
Make sure you do not have it in excess. Otherwise, it could affect your health.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Eat Cake During Pregnancy? ]
Possible Side Effects Of Ice Cream In Pregnancy
Here are a few side effects of overeating ice cream in pregnancy.
- If you have diabetes, you should limit the consumption of ice cream as it is high in calories and carbohydrates. This helps control your blood sugar levels (4).
- Pregnant women are susceptible to infections such as toxoplasmosis and listeriosis. When you eat ice creams that have raw eggs, unpasteurized eggs, or unpasteurized milk, there could be a risk of infection to you and your baby (5). You may avoid or limit eating ice cream when you are sensitive to cold. Although it is not harmful, you may get a fever or cold.
It is essential to know what is safe for your health and which ice cream can be safely consumed to avoid these infections.
What Is The Best Ice Cream To Eat In Pregnancy?
If you are looking for safer ice cream options during pregnancy, you may consider non-fat frozen yogurt (6). Just make sure it is from well-known brands and is made with pasteurized ingredients that are safe to include in your pregnancy diet.
Also, pick up flavors that are suitable for your health. For instance, you may eat chocolate ice cream if you like chocolate. But have it occasionally and not too often. If you have any doubts, you may seek advice from your doctor regarding ice creams that are safe and not-so-safe for consumption.
Ice Creams You Should Not Eat In Pregnancy
Take note of these ice creams that you should avoid.
- Avoid soft serve ice cream and fried ice cream to prevent the risk of infections (7).
- Even homemade ice creams are not safe for pregnancy as they are made using raw eggs. It is better to get your ice cream from a branded store.
- If you are going for a cookie dough ice cream, check its ingredients. Some brands include raw eggs while some do not.
It is fine to have ice cream during pregnancy as long as you are eating it occasionally. Also, buy ice cream from reputed brands to ensure quality. While it is important to satiate your taste buds, it is equally essential to take care of your health.
What cravings do you have in your pregnancy? Let us know in the comment section below.
2. Full Report (All Nutrients): Ice Cream; Unites States Department of Agriculture
3. L. M. Belzer, J. C. Smulian, S. E. Su, and B. J. Tepper; Food cravings and intake of sweet foods in healthy pregnancy and mild gestational diabetes melitus. A prospective study.; Appetite (2010)
4. Diabetes During Pregnancy and Diabetes Survival Skills; The Ohio State University
5. Staying Healthy During Pregnancy; Brenner Children’s Wake Forest Baptist Health
6. N. Dragon; Why Pregnancy Can Make You Have Weird Cravings; Intermountain Healthcare (2016)
7. P. P Mari; Food to Avoid during Pregnancy; academia.org
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Chocolates During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Yogurt During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Soy Milk During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Shikha Thakur (see all)
- 15 Signs Your Ex Still Has Feelings For You - October 19, 2019
- How To Make Long Distance Relationship Work: 21 Useful Tips - October 18, 2019
- 101 Divorce Quotes To Move On In Life - October 18, 2019
- How To Rebuild Trust After Cheating: 15 Helpful Tips - October 18, 2019
- 101 Toxic Relationship Quotes That Give You Strength To Move On - October 7, 2019
- Couple Sleeping Positions And What They Are Said To Mean - October 4, 2019
- What to do when your husband ignores you? - October 4, 2019
- How to make him miss you: 21 best tips to try - October 3, 2019
- How To Build An Interdependent Relationship With Your Partner? - October 3, 2019
- 15 Signs You May Need A Divorce - October 1, 2019