Giving an oil massage to your baby is very important. But what is more important is choosing the right oil.
A gentle massage can do wonders to your baby – it can calm your little one’s skin or ease her tummy, and even give her proper nourishment. And all this depends on the type of oil you pick.
Here we spare you from the hassle of selecting the right baby massage oils, so that your baby can always have a happy and healthy time!
Tips To Keep In Mind While Massaging Your Baby:
You may have many thoughts in your mind on how to massage your baby. Here are some tips you can follow while you are all set to give the massage.
- Before you try any oil on your baby’s skin, just dab a little on her hand and see if it is compatible with her skin. If your baby’s skin develops any rash, then avoid using that oil. However, all baby oils go compatible with their skin.
- Gently pour some oil on your baby’s tummy and start massaging with soft strokes. Do not put any unnecessary extra pressure.
- Give a massage only when your baby is up for it. Keep in mind that her comfort level is more important.
- Keep a check on your baby’s sleep cycle and then decide to give a massage accordingly.
[ Read : Top 10 Baby Hair Oils ]
Which Baby Massage Oil Is Good During Summers?
1. Coconut Oil:
- Coconut oil is one of the best choices in hot summer and humid climates.
- Lighter in texture, it easily absorbs into the skin and offers a cooling effect on the body.
- Coconut oil is an effective treatment for sensitive skin and problems like eczema, rashes, patchy skin, dermatitis and cradle cap.
- Applying a small amount of coconut oil after bath will moisturize your baby’s skin and keeps it supple.
- Coconut oil contains anti-oxidants, lauric and caprylic acids, which are great for her skin.
- It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which make it an ideal choice for baby’s skin.
The best coconut oil you can try for your baby is Nature’s Paradise Organic Coconut Baby Oil.
It is paraben free, chemical free and biodegradable massage oil. The calming fragrance of coconut relaxes the baby. It contains sunflower oil that nourishes the baby’s tender skin. Another major component is Organic Argan oil, rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that offer healthy skin.
You can buy here
Similarly, Sesame oil is another alternative to coconut oil that you can choose during summers.
2. Sesame Oil:
- Sesame or til as popularly known in India, is one of the healthy ingredients in a baby’s massage oil.
- Choose the oil that has been extracted from black sesame seeds; this is also a popular Ayurvedic massage oil for baby.
Which Massage Oil Is Good For Your Baby During Winters?
3. Mustard Oil:
- Mustard oil is the best baby massage oil during winters as it has a warming effect on the skin.
- It is not advisable to apply the oil directly on the skin. It should always be used in combination with other bases.
- In northern and eastern India, Mustard oil is heated with garlic cloves and fenugreek seeds. Garlic is known for boosting the immune system, and fenugreek relaxes the baby’s body.
- Another effective massage remedy is mixing mustard oil with carom seeds. This combination helps to soothe colicky babies.
If you do not prefer using mustard oil because of its pungent odour, you can use olive oil or almond oil instead.
4. Olive Oil:
- Olive oil is also immensely popular as massage oil for babies.
- There are many brands of massage oils that use olive oil as their main ingredient.
- It is safe to use olive oil for baby skin if there are no signs of rashes, cuts, eczema or other allergies.
- For sensitive skin, it is best to avoid olive oil as it has properties that enhance the permeability of the skin. This can allow the moisture to leave the skin faster and further cause dryness and flakiness, enhancing skin problems.
5. Almond Oil:
- Almond oil is a common ingredient in various massage oils.
- It is loaded with Vitamin E.
- Use pure almond oil instead of the fragrant ones.
The best massage oil for baby that you can choose during winters is La Flora Baby Bath and Body Massage Oil.
It is a combination of almond oil, olive oil and calendula oil that offers complete protection for your baby’s skin. You can also use it as a bath oil. It relaxes your baby, reduces anxiety and promotes better sleep.
You can buy this here
Which Massage Oils Work For Your Baby’s Sensitive Skin?
If your baby’s skin is sensitive and prone to eczema or dryness, do not use vegetable oils like olive oil or high-oleic sunflower seed oil. Oils containing oleic acid make your little one’s skin more tender and dry.
Vegetable Oils containing linoleic acids are suitable for sensitive skin. But, it may be difficult to find whether the massage oil contains oleic or linoleic acids. Therefore, it is better to check with the health care provider to get the suitable massage oil for your baby.
Vegetable oils that contain high amounts of linoleic acids and work for sensitive skin include:
6. Sunflower Oil:
- Sunflower oil is commonly used as an edible oil and is safe for the skin.
- Sunflower oil contains Vitamin E and fatty acids which help nourish the skin.
- Avoid using this oil if your baby has extra sensitive or rash-prone skin.
7. Chamomile oil:
- It is recommended for newborns as it is good for sensitive skin.
- This oil is useful for treating rashes and other skin breakouts
- It is especially good for babies who suffer from colic and helps to put them to sleep.
8. Tea tree Oil:
- Apart from being natural oil, tea tree oil has high antiseptic properties.
- It is used for treating many skin allergies and gives baby a relaxed feeling
9. Calendula Oil:
- Another essential oil, which you can easily add to your baby’s massage.
- This oil can be safely used after bath as it has a soothing effect on the skin.
- It has a naturally mild fragrance and is not too harsh on baby’s nose.
10. Castor Oil:
- It is recommended to use before giving bath to your baby.
- Castor oil can be used to treat dry skin, hair and nails.
- While applying castor oil, avoid the areas around baby’s eyes and lips.
Massage time is a great way to bond with baby. Make sure you make the most of it. Spend a few minutes each day with baby by giving massage. In addition to any other benefits, it will help strengthen the lovely bond you will share forever.
Hope this post will help you choose the best baby oil for skin. Do share your baby massage stories with us.
- How To Give Your Baby A Sponge Bath?
- 7 Most Helpful Tips To Keep Your Baby’s Skin Healthy
- How To Massage Your Baby?
- Is It Safe To Use Almond Oil For Massaging A Baby?
- 4 Effective Tips To Treat New Born Baby’s Body Hair
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014