Onion is an integral part of recipes across the world. The vegetable enhances the taste and value of the dish you make and eat. You can eat onion during pregnancy, but what if you have a craving for it?
To what extent can you include onion in your pregnancy diet, and are there any side effects of eating it? MomJunction tells you all about having onion during pregnancy. Read on.
Health Benefits Of Eating Onions During Pregnancy:
1. Detoxifies Your Body:
The presence of heavy metal contents in the body is harmful to both the expecting mother and the unborn baby. Amino acids, such as cysteine and methionine, present in the onions aid in detoxifying your body.
2. Boosts Immunity:
Onions are rich in vitamin C. The antioxidant properties of this vital nutrient can help boost the immunity of the expecting mother and safeguard the development of the baby (1).
[ Read: Benefits Of Eating Hummus While Pregnant ]
3. Cures Constipation:
Onions are a rich source of dietary fiber and can help regulate your bowel movement. If you are suffering from constipation while expecting, eating raw onion during pregnancy will effectively alleviate your toilet ordeal (2).
4. Regulates Blood Pressure:
Raw onions are a storehouse of phytonutrients that help regulate blood pressure. Adding onions to your meal plans can help keep high blood pressure related complications during pregnancy like preeclampsia, gestational hypertension and preterm labor at bay.
5. Fights Gestational Diabetes:
Onions contain chromium that helps prevent insulin resistance and regulate blood sugar levels. It is a super food to fight gestational diabetes.
6. Keeps Weight Gain In Check:
Pregnant women are always worrying about piling on those extra pounds. Onions are a must-have during pregnancy as they are low in calories and fat. Go ahead and add onions to your salads and sandwiches to manage your hunger pangs in a healthy way!
7. Helps Prevent Pregnancy Gingivitis:
Hormonal changes during pregnancy make your gums more vulnerable to plaque build-up, inflammation, and bleeding. Munch on onions as its antibacterial properties will help to improve your oral health during pregnancy (3).
8. Cures A Sore Throat:
If you are suffering from a sore throat during pregnancy and want to avoid antibiotics. Have onion juice to treat the throat infection effectively. You can add a dash of honey to the juice for better taste (4).
Side-Effects Of Having Onions During Pregnancy:
Even though there are numerous health benefits of eating onions while pregnant, you should also consider its side-effects and limit your intake.
Here are some potential side-effects of eating onions in pregnancy:
1. Heartburn And Diarrhea:
Eating an excess of onion in pregnancy may increase your discomfort due to heartburn (5).
2. Breathing And Allergic Problems:
Some expecting females can suffer from breathing problems and an allergic reaction due to excessive consumption of onions. In extreme cases, you may also suffer from an anaphylactic shock that may adversely affect your pregnancy (6).
[ Read: Spices To Eat & Avoid During Pregnancy ]
Can You Eat Onions When Pregnant?
You can go right ahead and eat onions safely during your pregnancy and tantalize your taste buds. However, remember to do so in moderation as an excess of anything can prove harmful to you and your baby during this delicate phase.
Did you eat onions while expecting? How did it benefit you? Share you experience with other expecting moms here by leaving a comment below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Radish During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Sprouts During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Raw Vegetables During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Tamarind During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Seaweed During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 6 Most Popular Indian Mythological Stories For Kids - September 15, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016