Do you wish your teen spend more time outdoors rather than remaining glued to his gadgets and gizmos? Does your teen love outdoor activities but lacks the time to enjoy them? If yes, then this article may help you plan some interesting and cool outdoor activities for teens.
Most of us love to spend time amidst nature pursuing a fun outdoor activity. In not so distant past, children of all ages loved to go out and indulge in games with friends and family. But it was a different era. Virtual games had not pervaded our homes and psyche then. Smart phones were still a figment of the imagination. Outdoor activities, hence, were a popular choice of entertainment and fun for teens. However, all is not lost. Still you can do a lot to encourage your teen to pursue some outdoor activities by making it ‘extra’ fun. Read on to find some fun outdoor games for teenagers that will surely appeal to your adolescent.
10 Fun Outdoor Activities For Teens:
1. Kite Flying:
It is one outdoor activity that your teen would love to indulge in and even learn. Kite flying can be a fun activity for the whole family. Once your teens know the ins and outs of kite flying, you can even organize family competitions.
[ Read: Team Building Activities For Teens ]
2. Bungee Jumping:
Bungee jumping is certainly not for the faint-hearted but your adventurous teen would love to try it once. It is an ideal activity for a weekend trip or holidays. Bonus for your teen would be watching you scream your heart out due to fear.
There was a time when teens would love bicycles. Why not revive this fun exercise? You can plan a cycling expedition with your teen every once in a while. Not only is it good for fitness but it is also quite fun.
Select a picturesque trail for your hike and your teen is likely to agree to go on the trip with you. Hiking is also a great opportunity for your teen to spend time outdoors and learn to appreciate nature. Offer to take his best friends along on the trip and you just hit the outdoor activity jackpot.
You need not restrict your teen’s outdoor activities to daytime. Spend some quality time with your teenager just gazing at the stars, identifying the constellations and catching up with him at the end of the day.
6. River Rafting:
Plan a river rafting or canoeing getaway and your teenagers won’t say no to this trip.
[ Read: Social Skills Activities For Teens ]
7. Dodge Ball:
A game that involves throwing balls at others and being the smart one by dodging most hits certainly screams ‘TEENAGER.’ Bring it on!
A bit mellow by your teenager’s standards, but it is worth a try. If your teen loves greenery, he would love this activity. If you are planning to cultivate a herb garden, enlist his help to finish the project.
9. Frisbee Fun:
Frisbee fun can make your teen’s weekends enjoyable. It is a great activity for family parties or a gathering with friends.
Encouraging your teen to go for long walks is a subtle way of initiating him into fitness and exercise. It is one outdoor activity worth giving a go with your teenager. How about helping grandma take a turn around the park? How about family walking trips in the garden before an ice cream treat at his favorite parlor? Or maybe he can go for a walk around the neighborhood or on the beach with the pet?
5 Fun Outdoor Games For Teenagers:
You Will Need:
- A ball, ideally a small tennis ball
- Each member is allocated a number.
- The leader takes the ball, throws it high into the air and shouts one number.
- The one who is given that number should catch that ball while others move away.
- As soon as the player holds the ball, none of the others should move.
- He or she then tries to hit any other player with the ball.
- If he or she succeeds in hitting, the one who was hit gets a spud. If he or she misses, then he or she gains a spud.
- Another round starts with the leader again throwing the ball.
- Finally, the one with less number of spuds will be the winner.
[ Read: Group Activities For Teenagers ]
2. Not in My Half!
You Will Need:
- A big hall or space that can be divided into two or four quadrants
- Beanbags or paper balls
- Split the players into two or four teams depending on the number.
- Spread beanbags or paper balls in each half of the space.
- When the leader signals, each team should try to get rid of all the beanbags or paper rolls into the other team’s space.
- The game goes on until the leader signals to stop.
- The winning team will be the one with the fewest beanbags or paper rolls left in their space.
3. Slam Dunk:
You Will Need:
- Large field or hall
- Trash bin
- A ball
- Split the players into two groups.
- Place a trash bin at each corner of the field.
- The main theme of the game is to dunk the ball into other group’s bin.
- Players run with the ball, they throw, pass, kick or bounce and finally aim at dropping the ball into the bin.
- If one team player is tagged by another team player, they should drop the ball.
- When the ball is thrown into the bin, the player should shout ‘dunk it’.
- The team who dunks the ball first is the winning team.
4. On Safari:
- Each player should be given a name of an animal.
- Ensure that one animal name is given to, at least, three players.
- They will be spread across.
- Now each one should signal their noise of the animal. The group that finds all their animals first will be the winning team.
5. Bear Hunt:
You Will Need:
- A set of cards with bears or any objects resembling bears
- The set of cards should be hidden across the playing area.
- The target of the game is to collect bears.
- If playing in teams, the team with as many bears with them will be the winning team.
As a parent of a teenager, you are his friend, philosopher, and guide. Hence, you should practice what you preach. Take out time and try out these fun outdoor games for teens to bond with them properly.
Do you plan outdoor activities with your teenagers? Do your teens have a favorite outdoor activity? We would love to hear about them.
- Indoor Games And Activities For Your Teen
- 25 Exciting Team Building Activities For Teens
- Fun Summer Activities For Teenagers