Are you a new mom who loves bonding with her little one while breastfeeding him? Do you love eating papaya but are apprehensive to add it to your postnatal diet wondering if it may harm your baby? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post on eating papaya during breastfeeding is a must.
The therapeutic goodness of papaya is famous since time immemorial. But is it safe to consume papaya while breastfeeding your baby? Go ahead and give this post a read to unearth the truth!
Is It Safe To Consume Papaya During Breastfeeding?
Your postnatal diet is very important because it not only affects your speed of recovery from childbirth but also regulates your milk supply. Doctors advise breast-feeding mothers to consume a balanced meal and two to three servings of fruits every day. As Papaya is a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals, it is highly recommended for nursing mothers.
[ Read: Eating Grapes While Breastfeeding ]
How Does Eating Papaya While Breastfeeding Affects Milk Production?
Green Papaya i.e. unripe papaya is popular as a galactagogue across Asia. It is a super food that can boost the quantity and quality of your breast milk. Thus, papaya is a must-have for lactating moms.
Oxytocin hormones regulate the production of breast milk (1). Intake of green papaya can boost the production of the oxytocin hormones in your body and hence increase the milk flow. Add papaya to your postnatal diet today to nurse your baby and bond with him to your heart’s content.
Other Health Benefits Of Consuming Papaya:
Papaya is a tropical fruit and adding it to your diet can be extremely beneficial for you. It is a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Folate, and Pantothenic acid. It also contains Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium (2).
Papaya offers the following health benefits:
- The fruit is a low-calorie food offering just 39 calories/100 g. It contains no cholesterol. If you binge on a bowl of papaya, it can keep your tummy full without adding empty calories. It can help you with your postnatal weight management.
- It is one of the richest fruit sources of Vitamin C. It can help increase the pace of your recovery from childbirth and also boost the immunity of your little one. Eat it every day to keep infections, illnesses, cough and flu at bay.
- It is a good source of potassium as it offers 257 mg of the essential mineral per 100 g. It can help balance the electrolyte levels, regulate your blood pressure, boost your energy, improve your heart health, and enhance the functioning of your muscles.
- The fruit has a soft flesh that contains a good amount of soluble dietary fiber. A regular intake of Papaya can work wonders for your digestive system as it can enhance your bowel movement and keep constipation at bay.
- Papaya is a storehouse of Vitamin A. It can help improve your vision, fight night blindness, prevent aging and protect against macular degeneration.
- It is a rich source of ß-carotene, lutein, and cryptoxanthin. These anti-oxidants can help eliminate free radicals, protect against oxidative stress and prevent cancer (3).
[ Read: Best Fruits To Eat While Breastfeeding ]
How To Have Papaya While Breastfeeding?
Green Papaya has a bland taste, and you can use it as a versatile ingredient while planning and preparing your meals. You can consume it in the raw or cooked form. Here are few ways in which you can include papaya in your diet:
- You can prepare a bowl full of refreshing green papaya salad. You can add hot peppers, a dash of lime juice and garlic to enhance its flavor. It is a great option for healthy snacking.
- Green Papaya Curry is a traditional dish popular in various parts of South Asia.
- Green Papaya soup is an excellent way to increase your milk supply and satiate your hunger pangs in a healthy way.
- You can consume green papaya with other vegetables in the stew or stir-fried form.
A Word Of Caution:
Consumption of Papaya may cause severe allergic reactions in sensitive people. In case you have a latex allergy, it is better to avoid the intake of papaya (4).
Remember to consult your doctor before adding papaya to your diet while breastfeeding. Any food that you consume during this delicate phase can directly affect your health and indirectly affect the growth of your breastfeeding baby.
Also, consume papaya in moderate quantities only. An excessive consumption of anything while breastfeeding can spell danger for you and your precious baby.
Now you know all about the health benefits of eating papaya while breastfeeding. Why wait? Go ahead and enlighten other new moms!
Did you eat Papaya during breastfeeding? How did it benefit you? Please share your experience and interesting papaya recipes with other lactating moms here.
- 6 Health Benefits Of Eating Almonds While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Eat Asparagus While You Are Breastfeeding?
- Alfalfa During Breastfeeding – 5 Health Benefits & 5 Side Effects
- 8 Serious Side Effects Of Energy Drinks On Breastfeeding Mom
Latest posts by Amrita Agarwal (see all)
- 6 Amazing Health Benefits Of Consuming Papaya While Breastfeeding - August 10, 2015
- How To Deal With Your Baby’s Body Odor? - June 30, 2015
- Milk Allergy In Children - Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - June 9, 2015
- Is Coffee Bad For Teens? - May 29, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Oranges While Breastfeeding? - May 20, 2015