Most of the time, parenting problems are not taken as seriously as they should be. Although these are common struggles that most parents go through, it does not take away from the fact that it can be quite stressful. As parents, you want to maintain harmony in the house and keep your children safe and happy. But their constant rebellions, tantrums, and attitude don’t make it an easy task. No matter how much you try to keep your composure, it is natural to lose your cool at times. So here we discuss the common problems faced by parents and effective ways to deal with them.
Top 10 Common Parenting Problems And Solutions
Next time, instead of going crazy at your little one, try out our solutions for top 10 parenting problems:
1. Frequent Tantrums:
This is one of the most annoying parenting problem that can easily aggravate parents. A child who starts crying at the drop of a hat or who does not listen to reason is difficult to manage (1).
- In such a situation it is important to not lose your cool. It is best not to react instantly.
- Tell your child that you will listen to him only after he stops crying.
- It is important to show your kids that you are not unnerved by their temper tantrums.
2. Children Who Do Not Obey:
Children often do this to show their importance. Saying no to what you want them to do and disobedience in taking orders is very common.
Don’t try to curb your child’s autonomy.
- At the same time, do not tolerate rude behavior.
- You can always respect their opinions, but teach them what is right and wrong.
- Your calmness and composure will definitely soothe them (2).
3. Unmanageable Sibling Rivalry:
For those of you who have two or more children, constant fights among the siblings can be one of the biggest challenges. Frequent fights and arguments over nothing can drive any parent nuts (3).
- The best way to handle this is to separate siblings after a fight to make them cool down.
- Don’t try to be a judge by deciding who is right and who is wrong.
- Also make some rules in advance so that there are lesser issues to be dealt with later on.
4. Children Telling White Lies:
Children often resort to telling lies, not knowing that you are aware of their lying (4).
- Never punish them or scold them for lying.
- Instead of being judgemental or angry, explain that lying will not lead them anywhere.
- Give them some time and let them learn on their own that lying is harmful. Set examples of what problems lying can lead to.
5. Aggressive And Violent Attitude:
An angry child is stressful for parents. Frustration aggravates when complaints start pouring in about your child beating others and resorting to little violence (5).
- Try to find out reasons for his anger and understand his anger.
- Most of the times, your child does have valid reason.
- If there are frequent anger outbursts, talk to a therapist for anger management to rule out the serious manifestations later.
6. Complaining And Whining Kids:
Almost all children whine and complain, but some do more of it. You may consider it as a problem and start ignoring them and do little to understand the complaints of your little ones (6).
- Most times you may fail to understand that your children complain or whine only to seek your attention.
- No matter how trivial, talking to your child often helps rather than side lining it.
7. Resistance During Studies:
- When your child is genuinely uninterested in studies, find out what he is interested in.
- Pressurising your child to study can never result in anything good.
- Let your child tread this path slowly and learn from the experiences.
8. Poor Eating Habits:
- Don’t force your child to eat anything.
- Try to explain the consequences.
- Prepare healthy meals your child likes.
- Help your child develop a taste for nutritional food by getting them involved in the cooking process.
9. Addiction To Gadgets:
Children these days are born with affinity towards gadgets. Their addiction can bring down your patience level to deal with the same (9).
- Try to control the hours your child spends on such gadgets.
- Set some disciplinary rules that need to be adhere diligently.
- Introduce them to other interesting hobbies and activities.
10. Shy And Lack Of Confidence:
Some children shun company and are always lonely. This can be a cause for concern, as parents may feel their child is getting left out.
- Encourage your children and praise their efforts
- Understand his temperament.
- Teach them how to cope with failure and disappointments.
- Give them lots of love and help them express themselves better.
- Get in touch with a therapist if he/she is not being able to mix with peers at all (10).
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What causes parenting issues?
Parents and the family dynamics highly influence a child’s physical, emotional, and overall well-being. Sometimes issues such as parental conflicts, fatigue, substance abuse, socio-economic factors, self-centered attitude, and career ambitions can lead to parenting problems. Addressing these issues early on can save kids from a traumatic childhood.
2. How can problems with parenting be prevented?
Parenting problems can have a detrimental effect on children, and sometimes the impact lasts a lifetime causing difficulties in their adulthood too. Early identification and prevention are important. Some things you can try as a parent are – spending quality time with children, keeping a check on your child’s behavior both in your presence and absence, educating your child about the right and wrong, disciplining them with patience, empathizing, and avoiding being rude or harsh.
Watch out for these parenting problems, as they could negatively affect your child’s future and overall development. Sometimes, when children throw tantrums, they show disinterest in studies and meals, which could make you wonder how to deal with them. As a parent, you must understand your child’s temperament, likes, and dislikes to solve these problems. Also, it is important you maintain your calm, have proper communication with your child, deal with them using tact and optimism.
- Temper Tantrums.
- The Disobedient Child.
- Sibling Rivalry.
- When Children Lie.
- Angry Kids: Dealing With Explosive Behavior.
- How to Stop Your Child’s Whining.
- How to Help Your Child Get Motivated in School.
- Picky Eating: How to Help Change a Child’s Food Habits.
- 10 Best Strategies to Stop Your Child’s Screen Addiction.
- Self-esteem in children.
View Profile ›