Parenting is one of the most amazing experiences ever, but it can easily be called the most frustrating too!
Every new day brings a new challenge in the life of parents. While you mostly try to smile and work around it, there are times when you just can’t keep your cool. If this scenario looks familiar, you are not alone.
All parents go through trying times when it comes to handling their kids. The key is to remain calm instead of showing your anger. Very soon, your children will respect your behavior and try and emulate your ‘chilled’ personality too!
Top 10 Common Parenting Problems And Solutions:
Next time, instead of going crazy at your little one, try out our solutions for top 10 parenting problems:
1. Frequent Tantrums:
This is one of the most annoying parenting problem that can easily aggravate parents. A child who starts crying at the drop of a hat or who does not listen to reason is difficult to manage.
- In such a situation it is important to not lose your cool. It is best not to react instantly.
- Tell your child that you will listen to him only after he stops crying.
- It is important to show your kids that you are not unnerved by their tantrums.
[ Read: Temper Tantrums ]
2. Children Who Do Not Obey:
Children often do this to show their importance. Saying no to what you want them to do and disobedience in taking orders is very common.
Don’t try to curb your child’s autonomy.
- At the same time, do not tolerate rude behaviour.
- You can always respect their opinions, but teach them what is right and wrong.
- Your calmness and composure will definitely soothe them.
3. Unmanageable Sibling Rivalry:
For those of you who have two or more children, constant fights among the siblings can be one of the biggest challenges. Frequent fights and arguments over nothing can drive any parent nuts.
- The best way to handle this is to separate siblings after a fight to make them cool down.
- Don’t try to be a judge by deciding who is right and who is wrong.
- Also make some rules in advance so that there are lesser issues to be dealt later on.
4. Children Telling White Lies:
Children often resort to telling lies, not knowing that you are aware of their lying.
- Never punish them or scold them for lying.
- Instead of being judgemental or angry, explain that lying will not lead them anywhere.
- Give them some time and let them learn on their own that lying is harmful.
5. Aggressive And Violent Attitude:
An angry child is stressful for parents. Frustration aggravates when complaints start pouring in about your child beating others and resorting to little violence.
- Try to find out reasons for his anger and understand his anger.
- Most of the times, your child does have valid reason.
- If there are anger pangs that are frequent and increasing, it is best to start therapies on anger management to rule out the serious manifestations later.
[ Read: Aggression In Children ]
6. Complaining And Whining Kids:
Almost all children whine and complain, but some do more of it. You may consider it as a problem and start ignoring them and do little to understand the complaints of your little ones.
- Most times you may fail to understand that your children complain or whine only to seek your attention.
- No matter how trivial, talking to your child often helps rather than side lining it.
7. Resistance During Studies:
Children hate to study and no parent tolerates such behaviour. As a parent you may try to coerce your kid to study hard and put pressure at performing well.
- When your child is genuinely uninterested in studies, find out what he is interested in.
- Pressurising your child to study can never result in anything good.
- Let your child tread this path slowly and learn from the experiences.
8. Poor Eating Habits:
Children often love all the junk food in the world and hate anything nutritious. As a parent you try your best to feed them by force and by deception, but this never works out.
- Don’t force your child to eat anything.
- Try to explain the consequences.
- Prepare healthy meals your child likes.
- Help your child develop a taste for nutritional food by getting them involved in the cooking process.
[ Read: Healthy Eating Habits For Children ]
9. Addiction To Gadgets:
Children these days are born with affinity towards gadgets. Their addiction can bring down your patience level to deal with the same.
- Try to control the hours your child spends on such gadgets.
- Set some disciplinary rules that need to be adhere diligently.
- Introduce them to other interesting hobbies and activities.
10. Shy And Lack Of Confidence:
Some children shun company and are always lonely. This can be a cause for concern, as parents may feel their child is getting left out.
- If your child is going through this, you need to tread carefully.
- Understand his personality.
- Whatever you do, do not force him to mix with others.
- It is often seen that after a certain age shyness vanishes.
[ Read: Shyness In Children ]
Let your child be himself.
Parenting as a whole is a beautiful experience and these phases are like passing clouds. Understanding problems in parenting and dealing them with tact and presence of mind is the best way.
Have more effective parenting tips? Share them with other parents in the comment section below:
- 25 Tips To Help You Become A Better Parent
- 4 Simple Things Parents Can Do For A Child’s Development
- Everything You Need To Know About Bad Parenting
- Top 10 Helpful Tips For Parents To Deal With Teenagers
- Top 10 Parenting Books You Should Definitely Read