Are you a nursing mom fighting anxiety or depression? Are you worried about taking any medication because you feel it would affect your breastfeeding baby? If yes, consider reading our post. Paroxetine (Paxil) could be one of the most effective medicines to combat an anxiety disorder while nursing your baby. Here, we look at Paxil while breastfeeding and how it helps you overcome your anxiety issues.
Your little one is entirely dependent on your breast milk for several months after his birth. So, it is crucial that you feed him breast milk every day. Many people have varied opinions about taking medications while breastfeeding a child. But don’t listen to all that noise. Scroll down and arm yourself with the right knowledge about paroxetine and breastfeeding.
What Is Paroxetine?
Paroxetine is a medication that helps treat depression and anxiety disorders effectively. These disorders include generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), social anxiety disorder, and other psychological disorders. The medication is also commonly known as Paxil, and it belongs to a group of medicines popular as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). The medicine boosts the activity of serotonin, a chemical, in your brain and helps you overcome psychological disorders effectively (1).
Forms Of Paroxetine Available:
Paroxetine is available in several forms, which include:
Your doctor will be the best one to recommend you a tablet or a capsule (2).
Benefits Of Paxil While Breastfeeding:
1. Treats Depression:
Paxil is quite effective in treating depression. The medication helps nursing mothers overcome postnatal depression safely and effectively. Since paroxetine comes under SSRI antidepressants, it increases serotonin levels in nursing moms’ brains. Thus, Paxil offers you a great relief from depression post delivery (3).
[ Read: Ways To Tackle Postnatal Depression ]
2. No Side-Effects As Compared To Antidepressants:
The medicine has no active metabolites. Paxil’s effect on your body reduces around 8 hours after its consumption, and it leaves your system within 24 hours. Unlike other antidepressants, Paxil doesn’t cause any cardiovascular or anticholinergic effects like low blood pressure, constipation, blurred vision, dry mouth, weight changes, and other side-effects in lactating mothers. Also, the medicine does not impair psychomotor function (4).
3. Minimizes Panic Attacks And Sleep Disorders:
Paxil minimizes panic attacks post-delivery. The medicine also minimizes sleeping troubles that lactating mothers tend to suffer; it promotes sound sleep, and it provides you appropriate psychological rest. Proper rest and relief from anxiety is quite necessary while you are nursing your infant (5).
Is It Safe Taking Paxil While Breastfeeding?
Yes, it is safe to have Paroxetine while breastfeeding! Paxil is compatible with breastfeeding. Initially, you should have the lowest dose of Paxil. Medical studies reveal that levels of Paroxetine in the breast milk tend to be high for about eight hours after the consumption of the medicine. So, keep a note of your baby’s feeding time. Avoid nursing him when the concentration of the medication in the breast milk is high i.e. in the eight hours after you have the medication. Ensure that you pay close attention to this aspect, as it can lead to some nasty side effects in babies (6).
You should avoid having high doses of Paroxetine while nursing your dear little one, as it may lead to many side effects. Make sure you consume the prescribed form and doses of Paxil to ensure the safety of your infant.
[ Read: Is Ambien Safe While Breastfeeding ]
Did you consume Paxil while breastfeeding your bundle of joy? Which form of medication did you consume? How did you benefit from it? Share your experiences with other nursing moms. We would love to hear from you.
- Is It Safe To Take Antibiotics While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Consume Lansoprazole While You Are Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Have Phentermine While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Use Benzoyl Peroxide While Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 6 Most Popular Indian Mythological Stories For Kids - September 15, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016